Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:56 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times

Advertisements

Old 01-08-2010, 12:58 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I sort of understand this being originally from NY. You would never get anything done or get to your destination if you were polite or not in a rush. It's just this NY thing, because there are so many people there. For example, you'd never get to your train on time by just walking normally and not pushing and shoving others. For the most part other New Yorkers, it's understood why you are doing that, as everyone else does it too.

I don't think they think it's normal to be rude to people in the south only, I htink they probably talk like that to everyone. It just seems like it's being taken out on southerners.

When I moved to the South (I first moved to Houston), I had to go through a period of adjustment. Such as not be in such a rush while at the grocery store while on line. The cashiers would actually be nice and say how are you and make small talk. Which was SHOCKING to me. I literally didn't respond because first of all I was still in the mindset of gotta 'rush' because I gotta get to my next destination. Secondly, I was shocked that someone was asking me how I was?! I'm sure she thought I was rude. After a few weeks, I was able to calm down. But I remember I was in Walmart one day and there was an employee walking around and said hello and was smiling. I looked around behind me to see who she was talking to as I assumed she must be talking to someone she knew. Well she was talking to me! Again, that is just NOT done in NY. I finally got used to it and now I wave back and smile.
When I went back to NY for a visit, I got used to waving and smiling, I did it in NY. Imagine doing that on the subway in NYC? Well people didnt' appreciate it. They think you are weird and something is wrong with you. It's just a different culture there.

I do think though it's important to adjust yourself and behavior in a new place. I wouldn't want to come across as rude to someone.
You misunderstood my post. I did not say that Northerners were being disrespectful to Southerners only. I said that what is normal behavior to most Northern cultured people is considered rude to those of us who were brought up in the South. And yes, I think that normal Northern behavior is more rude and normal Southern cultured behavior is more mannerly. It is a cultural difference. Just my opinion. And yes, I have had people look at me like, "why are you speaking to me." "Because my mother taught me to be friendly" is the answer. I guess we just had fewer people where I come from and anyone who would not speak to you was thought to be "stuck up."

I know that there are many very good hearted people from the North. I really feel for them trying to fit in. It did not take long for me to realize our cultures are totally opposite.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:03 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You misunderstood my post. I did not say that Northerners were being disrespectful to Southerners only. I said that what is normal behavior to most Northern cultured people is considered rude to those of us who were brought up in the South. And yes, I think that normal Northern behavior is more rude and normal Southern cultured behavior is more mannerly. It is a cultural difference. Just my opinion. And yes, I have had people look at me like, "why are you speaking to me." "Because my mother taught me to be friendly" is the answer. I guess we just had fewer people where I come from and anyone who would not speak to you was thought to be "stuck up."

I know that there are many very good hearted people from the North. I really feel for them trying to fit in. It did not take long for me to realize our cultures are totally opposite.
It is not just your opinion People from different regions of the country are all Americans, but there are definitely cultural differences.

I think the important thing though is to try to understand where the other guy is coming from in every situation. When we understand the differences and why they are there, we can try to be more tolerant of one another. But this is a two way street. And frankly, "when in Rome..."

Old 01-08-2010, 01:11 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
You should understand that there are southern tendencies that northerners think is unexceptionable behavior as well...

So, yes indeed... There are rude people all over. You say you don't agree, so does that mean you've never met a rude person that wasn't a northerner?

This is getting to funny...
And you feel that you should tell us about them all the time. Why do you think you need to do that? That is a basic cultural difference. The lady who was so rude that I will avoid as much as possible probably has no idea that I have found her behavior unacceptable. She keeps inviting me to places. Yes, it would be funny if it were not so sad that people behave in such rude manner that you don't want to be around them and they are just being normal for them. If others in the North behave like that, I don't want to go there.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:25 PM

716 posts, read 1,544,974 times
Has anyone ever noticed that us Yankees are more short fused(more willing to go off) than a typical southern native?

Old 01-08-2010, 01:27 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
And you feel that you should tell us about them all the time. Why do you think you need to do that? That is a basic cultural difference. The lady who was so rude that I will avoid as much as possible probably has no idea that I have found her behavior unacceptable. She keeps inviting me to places. Yes, it would be funny if it were not so sad that people behave in such rude manner that you don't want to be around them and they are just being normal for them. If others in the North behave like that, I don't want to go there.
Your ability to speak out of both sides of your mouth astounds me! I understand that writing doesn't necessarily translate well, but you're all over the place. Your predisposition to FIND rudeness in everything these folks are doing is amazing to me.

What's the worst for me is that these people keep trying to be your friend and you'd rather henpeck them behind their back. I don't understand how this is "mannerly". If all Southern folks are as 2 faced as you, I wouldn't want to move there - just as you wouldn't want to head North.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:50 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
I don't agree with that.
And you do not have to agree (we can agree to disagree). But as someone who has been traveling on a weekly basis (off and on) for the better part of several years, I've seen how people behave in just about every part of this country. I've met my share of polite, well-mannered individuals, as well as rude, boorish louts in just about every city I've ever visited.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:53 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
There is a difference in work ethics too.
I work in Michigan for a month as a store trainer besides my co workers room being broke into while we worked in Flint.
They were the best quick responsive workers and showed sometimes early they where eager to do the work.
I went to Augusta doing same job for a month oh my god talk about lazy. I would hire someone from Michigan
over a southerner in a New York (pun intended) minute. What Im getting at maybe I just have respect for people with different cultures and probably why I let rude posts stand because part of it I knew it was cultural differences. I know I clash with people from Boston (buoston).

Heck no im not letting that happen be friendly durn it.
"Act happy or be happy no one cares which" Connie Podesta
I'm just one big freakin ray of sunshine, Aren't I?

Old 01-08-2010, 01:57 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Your ability to speak out of both sides of your mouth astounds me! I understand that writing doesn't necessarily translate well, but you're all over the place. Your predisposition to FIND rudeness in everything these folks are doing is amazing to me.

What's the worst for me is that these people keep trying to be your friend and you'd rather henpeck them behind their back. I don't understand how this is "mannerly". If all Southern folks are as 2 faced as you, I wouldn't want to move there - just as you wouldn't want to head North.
But the difference is that I would never move North. The Northerners are moving here and instead of learning to be pleasant to be around, they, like you, want us to start acting like them. I do not want or need rude friends. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. I will agree that it is best for you to stay there and the first post told it like it is. If you are going to act like that, please go somewhere else. We are having people move here and since they are from the North, of course, they are right and we are wrong. NOT!

I would rather be two faced as you call it than to go around hurting peoples feelings all the time. I am actually acting a little like a Northerner on here and hoping that some of what I say makes them think a little. My message to them is, "You have moved to this area and we are what we are and we like it that way. We don't want our town to change into what you left. Please try to be more pleasant." And if there is something about us that is going to kill someone unless it is changed, tell us about it; otherwise mind your own business and keep it to yourself and tell your Northern friend about it. You can talk about us all you want to, just don't try to force your ways on us.

I apologize to my Southern friends for this post. This is what I don't like about Northerners. They do not know how to take a hint. If you don't want to do things their way, you have to turn into someone you don't want to be in order to get them to listen, because they always know better than you do. The only way to deal with them is to just stay away from them.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:15 PM

530 posts, read 1,182,599 times
Quote:
When Was I telling you about them. Sorry I don't recall.. Link to that post please. And you might try answering the original question as well... In your mind, are there any rude southerners?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte