Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:37 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times

Advertisements

The worst part of it is in northern places where it just snows on snow on snow and at some point you lose track of the poop. So it just gets frozen and covered with more snow. Then spring time comes up and you spend days gingerly walking around the yard picking it up as the thaw begins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 02:51 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Sunny at least you aren't walking around barefoot.
Yeah it's to cold to walk bare footed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Here's one from a random cat. Also shows the downfall of this method, do you really want you cat spreading toilet water all over your house? Cat litter is easier to get rid of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ug7WEUxH68
oops for sliding in
It reminds me of the cat in Meet the Fockers

Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 PM

104 posts, read 177,355 times
It like it when it's freezing out because it makes picking it up so much neater. No smearing/sliding/etc in the grass.

I can't leave it out too long when it's warm out. I just think about all the running around my dog does outside, then I think that he doesn't take off his "shoes" when he comes in and jumps on the couch/bed/me/etc. That's motivation to go pick it up..

Old 01-08-2010, 06:17 AM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,904,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackley View Post
No smearing/sliding/etc in the grass.
Ok, I love dogs, but stepping in dog crap literally makes me gag. The smell when trying to get it off my shoe brings on numerous, torturous gags. I've been known to leave such shoes abandoned in the garage, never to wear them again, haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackley View Post
I can't leave it out too long when it's warm out. I just think about all the running around my dog does outside, then I think that he doesn't take off his "shoes" when he comes in and jumps on the couch/bed/me/etc. That's motivation to go pick it up..
My neighbors have three dogs and we wonder about the cleanliness of their children after they play (and even roll around) in the fenced-in yard where the dogs relieve themselves. Even if you pick up their #2, there is still some of it in the grass. It has to be on the kids! Think about it! ICK!!!

Old 01-08-2010, 12:03 PM

104 posts, read 177,355 times
Yeah, although with the situation with kids developing allergies to all kinds of random things due to lack of germs during childhood, maybe it's not such a terrible thing.. Can't win either way I guess.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:08 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
warning for the overly sensitive this thread is about dog poo

I normally dont clean up dog poo my dog leaves in my yard because it will eventually will biodegrade into the soil. However this past couple of weeks the ground and dog poo has been frozen so now there is two weeks of land mines on the ground and only reason it started to bug me is the poo still soft in the center and of course I step on it with my shoe..hehe
No offense, but leaving dog crap all over your yard is disgusting, and very unhealthy for you and your neighbors. Also I'm sure you think it's "Green" but dog poop is not cow poop, and it's actually bad for your lawn.
Dog lovers beware...

Woof-woof waste does not a good fertilizer make. It is actually toxic to your lawn, causing burns and unsightly discoloring.

More importantly, it has been estimated that a single gram of dog feces can contain 23 million fecal coliform bacteria, which are known to cause cramps, diarrhea, intestinal illness, and serious kidney disorders in humans.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) even estimates that two or three days worth of droppings from a population of about 100 dogs would contribute enough bacteria to temporarily close a bay, and all watershed areas within 20 miles of it, to swimming and shellfishing.

Dog feces are one of the most common carriers of the following diseases:
DoodyCalls: Yard Cleanup - Health Information

https://www.petbutler.com/pbx/whatwedoo/pethealth.asp (broken link)

http://www.scoopdedoo.com/healthrisks.html

Old 01-08-2010, 01:33 PM

367 posts, read 1,028,877 times
This is why I do not own animals. I have children and they can use a toilet

Old 01-08-2010, 01:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
No offense, but leaving dog crap all over your yard is disgusting, and very unhealthy for you and your neighbors. Also I'm sure you think it's "Green" but dog poop is not cow poop, and it's actually bad for your lawn.
Dog lovers beware...

Woof-woof waste does not a good fertilizer make. It is actually toxic to your lawn, causing burns and unsightly discoloring.

More importantly, it has been estimated that a single gram of dog feces can contain 23 million fecal coliform bacteria, which are known to cause cramps, diarrhea, intestinal illness, and serious kidney disorders in humans.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) even estimates that two or three days worth of droppings from a population of about 100 dogs would contribute enough bacteria to temporarily close a bay, and all watershed areas within 20 miles of it, to swimming and shellfishing.

Dog feces are one of the most common carriers of the following diseases:
DoodyCalls: Yard Cleanup - Health Information

https://www.petbutler.com/pbx/whatwedoo/pethealth.asp (broken link)

Health Risks
if you got a problem with it come clean it up. This whining is unbecoming
if you dont mind sir.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:23 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
if you got a problem with it come clean it up. This whining is unbecoming
if you dont mind sir.
You are responsible for your own property, but if you find yourself "entitled" too or "dependant" on others to do what you should on your own - what can I say.

I provided you with the facts that show dog poo is highly infectious and bad for the environment. What you do with them is up to you - I'm glad you are not my neighbor that's all I can say. One would hope that you realize you live in a community and can possibly infect others around you.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:13 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Ours doesn't like the cold; this morning she decided the driveway was a more convenient place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte