Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 12:23 PM

175 posts, read 188,522 times

Advertisements

I heard from a rather reputable source that the residents of the Section 8 apartments on OP Road right off of Providence have been given till March of next year ('09) to find new homes. I was told all of those apartments, as well as the Exxon station at the corner, are being torn down and developed with gi-normous McMansions. I was also told the old HT shopping center across Providence at International which now is a kosher restarant and shop, as well as all of the apartjments back there are also coming down and being redeveloped. Has anyone heard/read anything like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 12:27 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl34 View Post
I heard from a rather reputable source that the residents of the Section 8 apartments on OP Road right off of Providence have been given till March of next year ('09) to find new homes. I was told all of those apartments, as well as the Exxon station at the corner, are being torn down and developed with gi-normous McMansions. I was also told the old HT shopping center across Providence at International which now is a kosher restarant and shop, as well as all of the apartjments back there are also coming down and being redeveloped. Has anyone heard/read anything like this?
Wow. that has to be on some zoning map somewhere I guess. ???? I bet there is a website that has that info. Anyone know where to find it?

Old 02-14-2008, 12:28 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,667,397 times
Quote:
I haven't heard about this but I can't say that I'm disappointed. That area for a long time has been a bad apple. Although it's never a pleasant situation to kick people out like that, it will be great for the area. In fact, this area is the only not-so-good area along Providence Road. I'm happy it's getting cleaned up!

Old 02-14-2008, 01:04 PM

870 posts, read 3,528,627 times
Have not heard about the apartments and the Exxon on the south side of Providence Road but have heard that a group of investors has been trying to rezone the north side including the apartments and the shopping center into a Phillips Place type center with homes, condos and townhouses. This has been going on for about 3 years.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
Have not heard about the apartments and the Exxon on the south side of Providence Road but have heard that a group of investors has been trying to rezone the north side including the apartments and the shopping center into a Phillips Place type center with homes, condos and townhouses. This has been going on for about 3 years.
That sounds really nice. I agree w/ Carolina Guy - this would be huge improvement so I hope the investors are going to be able to pull it off.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:18 PM

175 posts, read 188,522 times
That would be really nice. Those apartments (the ones on Olde Providence Road) look like they're a lot emptier than they were a few years ago. I would love a nice shopping center there. I can't stand how crowded the Arboretum is and never go there. Although the shopping center on Colony and Rea (Colony Place) is pretty empty except for the HT. I've heard from some of the business owners that the rents are too high for the traffic they get. It might be even worse for them if there was something nice on Providence.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:23 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,005 times
Very sad. I hope no one would be happy about that. All the poor people are being forced out of their homes. Look at what happenned to Earle Village...gone...now 1st Ward Uptown and expensive. Look at what happenned to Piedmont Court in Belmont (section of Charlotte near Uptown)...gone...being replaced by high end because you can walk Uptown.

Poor people are good people too. Where do people expect them to go when there is not enough subsidized housing in Charlotte to even go around currently.

Does anyone care anymore?

NO! It is all about making money.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
That would be really nice. Those apartments (the ones on Olde Providence Road) look like they're a lot emptier than they were a few years ago. I would love a nice shopping center there. I can't stand how crowded the Arboretum is and never go there. Although the shopping center on Colony and Rea (Colony Place) is pretty empty except for the HT. I've heard from some of the business owners that the rents are too high for the traffic they get. It might be even worse for them if there was something nice on Providence.
Would you pleeeeeezzzz tell me where in heaven's name all those people come from who are all over the Arboretum like flies on ice cream? I feel like someone is going to ram me in the parking lot - the crazy driving that goes on in there!!!!!! Where are these people flocking from ??????

I hope they do get more retail in the area- maybe it will thin out all those people at the Arboretum. You would think they are giving away freebies the way people are packed into the parking lots over there. UUGGGHHH.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:29 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Would you pleeeeeezzzz tell me where in heaven's name all those people come from who are all over the Arboretum like flies on ice cream? I feel like someone is going to ram me in the parking lot - the crazy driving that goes on in there!!!!!! Where are these people flocking from ??????

I hope they do get more retail in the area- maybe it will thin out all those people at the Arboretum. You would think they are giving away freebies the way people are packed into the parking lots over there. UUGGGHHH.
I feel the same way when I am on foot Uptown. Do idiots (parden me for saying that) not realize that when I am at a cross walk and it says walk...I HAVE the right of way.

People will run you over. People are always in a hurry! Just leave 5 minutes earlier and be courteous!

Old 02-15-2008, 02:08 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,667,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Very sad. I hope no one would be happy about that. All the poor people are being forced out of their homes. Look at what happenned to Earle Village...gone...now 1st Ward Uptown and expensive. Look at what happenned to Piedmont Court in Belmont (section of Charlotte near Uptown)...gone...being replaced by high end because you can walk Uptown.

Poor people are good people too. Where do people expect them to go when there is not enough subsidized housing in Charlotte to even go around currently.

Does anyone care anymore?

NO! It is all about making money.
Yes it is sad but it's part of the pie with economic development, which is exactly what will bring to this part of Providence Road. And it's not just poor people that will need to find other places to live, but also drug dealers and other criminals. This area has needed a face lift for quite some time. East Charlotte should take a page out of this book and consider doing the same thing in many of their dilapidated areas. As far as subsidized housing is concerned, the government can be blamed. The worst thing this government has ever done is create the welfare system. It creates an endless cycle of total dependence on GovCo which will most always result in endless poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte