U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 09:31 AM

248 posts, read 640,588 times

Advertisements

Its my friends apartment and it was broken and entered the day after new years. My friend was out of town and the theives have pretty much sweeped away everything in his apartment incl clothes and even papers/documents (his passport, ssn etc).

the incident, obviously was reported and cops mentioned that they'll try to restore the items that may go into pawnshops such as tv, laptop, xbox, and such ones that have a serial numbers... the papers and documents would mostly get trashed somewhere and maybe not be found. (His initials are R.Z. if anyone came across anysuch docs that may belong to him, do not hesitate to DM me)

last nite, my friend called the cops to get a status and he was informed that someother apartment there was broken in too, but the burglars had to flee coz someone noticed them, and now the cops have some descriptions of them thieves. also, when we went to talk to the apartment management, they'd mentioned that there was a similar incident in that community sometime earlier.

just wanted to caution everyone who may live around that area.. looks like there is some group/gang who is checking for burglary opportunities in the area..

Takecare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 09:54 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I hope at least some of his property is recovered, but it is such a violation on many levels . . . just cleaning up the mess and trying to replace paperwork is horrible.

I hope the police catch up with the thugs. At least that would get them off the street.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:20 AM

248 posts, read 640,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I hope at least some of his property is recovered, but it is such a violation on many levels . . . just cleaning up the mess and trying to replace paperwork is horrible.

I hope the police catch up with the thugs. At least that would get them off the street.
I know its such a pain.. not sure what all insurance will cover.. maybe the cost of appliances/equipments.... but clothes... shoes.. ok ok those too are material stuff.. what about the documents.. he says he doesnt even remember all the stuff he had in the documents bin.. along with passport, ssn card, birth certificate, check book, credit card statements, there were transcripts, college papers, degree certificates, experience letters, some of them can never be replaced.. and even for the ones that could be replaced.. can u imagine the misery he'd have to go thru..

Old 01-11-2010, 10:23 AM

74 posts, read 126,846 times
I'm not sure if I'd be able to handle something like that. I think I'm gonna rig my front door with 100,000 Volts of electicity and see if they get in then!

Old 01-11-2010, 10:26 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetruckguy View Post
I know its such a pain.. not sure what all insurance will cover.. maybe the cost of appliances/equipments.... but clothes... shoes.. ok ok those too are material stuff.. what about the documents.. he says he doesnt even remember all the stuff he had in the documents bin.. along with passport, ssn card, birth certificate, check book, credit card statements, there were transcripts, college papers, degree certificates, experience letters, some of them can never be replaced.. and even for the ones that could be replaced.. can u imagine the misery he'd have to go thru..
Yes, I can imagine the misery. And so much stuff cannot be replaced.

Makes me remind myself AGAIN to do something I have said I was gonna do for years - scan all that stuff and give the disks to family members who will put it in safety deposit boxes, and put copies in my safety deposit box. I have done some of that, but you mention things like letters of recommendation, commendation letters, etc. That could all be scanned, too.

It is a laborious process scanning and saving all that stuff, but I guess we all should do it.

As for passports, SS# etc., I worry about ID theft if it falls in the wrong hands. I feel sure your friend has already contacted the Credit Bureaus, but if he hasn't, it would be a good idea to do that - and have his account flagged, so that someone doesn't attempt to open up credit cards (or worse) using his ID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or