Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 10:37 AM

83 posts, read 445,211 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a good dentist for a second opinion. Doesn't matter if they accept insurance or not because our insurance won't accept multiple dentist visits anyway.

My husband went to the dentist last week and they stated that he has a cavity and needs a filling. Also he has a small amount of gum receding on a single tooth so they want to fill in that area as well. I've never heard of filling in a receding gum....it's not receding very much so I guess that makes sense. Also they did the usual bite x-rays.

What concerns me is that the dentist wants to schedule his filling for April.....isn't that pretty far out for someone who has a cavity? I thought once you get a cavity, it only gets worse over time.....why wait 4 months? I asked my husband how the dentist knew he had a cavity and they didn't say.....just that he has one.

Personally I've been told by past dentists that I've needed a filling then I get a second opinion and turns out I'm fine. That was 10 years ago too....

Once they start a filling, the tooth will continuously need filling after filling, with each filling having to be larger than the next.

Does anyone know any thorough, experienced dentists that they trust?

We're still very new to this area so we haven't found an amazing dentist yet.

Thanks!

Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 10:43 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
PM sent...

Old 01-11-2010, 06:23 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,983,711 times
That's a ridicules time frame to wait to have a filling filled. You need to fire that Dentist.

I will also PM you a Dentist.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:25 PM

245 posts, read 955,790 times
I'm going to PM you the name of a dentist in Concord. I was a patient of his for over ten years (I've moved to PA), always trusted him. Prefer him over his new partner, she's nice enough, but he's more conservative in his treatment, she wanted to dive into all kinds of things once when I saw her and she opened up a can of worms disturbing a tooth of mine. I've had a white filling where my gum was receding and that area had become very sensitive to cold. It did help that area, so it is something they do now I guess. It does seem rather odd to wait to fill a tooth for four months. Why let it potentially get worse? It doesn't make sense to me either. Good luck! Dentists unfortunately aren't my favorite people.

Last edited by butterfly57; 01-11-2010 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: removed dentist name and phone #

Old 01-12-2010, 10:16 AM

83 posts, read 445,211 times
Thanks so much for all the responses! He went to a dentist on our Aetna plan but I've noticed that alot of dentists don't accept insurance as much anymore. I'll pass on this info to my husband.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:47 AM

716 posts, read 1,544,035 times
I would definitely get the receding gumline filled. I got mine filled right before I moved here. I was nervous about it and thought it was going to be a big operation but I was in and out in 5 minutes. All they do is fill the gap where the gumline has receded. I felt nothing at all and he didnt even have to use no novacane. I didn't even think they could fill a tooth on its side but apparantly they can.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:52 AM

240 posts, read 731,791 times
Smile dentist

Gus Gianakopoulos is in Matthews and is terrific.
We went to him for a second opinion regarding my daughter supposedly having wisdom teeth about to shoot down!!!!!!!

He was fantastic and i would highly recommend him.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:02 PM
cfr

152 posts, read 373,715 times
Dentists are not my favorite either, but we need them. IMO, if we fix a cavity now it will cost [example $ 50. If we wait 4 months it will need more surfaces fixed so now it's $300.]
It's all business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte