Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 01:10 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,909,452 times

Advertisements

Although you continue to suffer both emotionally and financially because of your wife's illness, I am so happy to hear that you have at last come to a partial solution to this long term dilemma. As Megan wisely says "Marriage is about a relationship and love, not a piece of paper. I wish you and your wife well. "
[+] Rate this post positively
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 02:53 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,651,532 times
Crap!!! This is insane! All of the options I've looked at, including those in SC, come out to more or less the same daily rate I pay now (173/day). The only next step I have is to find a place that accepts Medicaid and place her there. There is a mandatory one-year private pay spend down that must be done first before they can ever consider accepting payment from Medicaid. The reason I couldn't do this to begin with is that we don't have enough income to pay those rates (they start at about 175/day). And at the end of a year there's still no guarantee that she'll qualify for Medicaid, so that rate may have to continue indefinitely. And there's nothing anywhere in this process that allows me to reserve any resources for my own needs and living expenses.

I just got off the phone with a divorce attorney, and even that process won't be easy nor will it be inexpensive.

You don't really feel as alone in the world as you do in this situation. I always feel like I'm the only person in the whole state/country that needs to do this.

At this point I really don't know what to do other than have her discharged, quit my job, and live on the streets.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:05 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Crap!!! This is insane! All of the options I've looked at, including those in SC, come out to more or less the same daily rate I pay now (173/day). The only next step I have is to find a place that accepts Medicaid and place her there. There is a mandatory one-year private pay spend down that must be done first before they can ever consider accepting payment from Medicaid. The reason I couldn't do this to begin with is that we don't have enough income to pay those rates (they start at about 175/day). And at the end of a year there's still no guarantee that she'll qualify for Medicaid, so that rate may have to continue indefinitely. And there's nothing anywhere in this process that allows me to reserve any resources for my own needs and living expenses.

I just got off the phone with a divorce attorney, and even that process won't be easy nor will it be inexpensive.

You don't really feel as alone in the world as you do in this situation. I always feel like I'm the only person in the whole state/country that needs to do this.

At this point I really don't know what to do other than have her discharged, quit my job, and live on the streets.
Honey, you are having a really bad time of it, and I'm so sorry!

Surely, there must be a support group for families in your situation?? I just know there are other people struggling this way too, unfortunately. Have you asked her doctors or the current nursing home about that?

Wish I could offer you something concrete, but the best I can do is hug you in my thoughts and let you know I'm praying for you. Please hang in there.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:21 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,242 times
Quote:

I'm not sure I even like this idea but I am going to throw it out there. Have you thought about contacting the media? Perhaps if they picked up on the story something good could hopefully come out of it. Someone might see it that could help or offer support. This whole situation just stinks for you and I am more than sorry you have to go through this.

Loves is right. Can't anyone at the nursing home or her doctor offer some kind of advice at least about support groups? What about patient advocates? I am sure you have tried this but I am at a loss here. Just grasping at straws as they say.

God bless you both and hang in there. Sometimes miracles can happen and hopefully one will for you.

And please don't feel alone. You have love and support on here and I hope that helps you some.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:30 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,027,604 times
super K...don't know what to say except I'm sorry. You aren't alone, you have us...but, in the end, we really can't do anything to help you, except to give you emotional support.

Don't have any idea what to suggest. What does the social worker at the hospital say?

Old 01-30-2010, 06:02 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,696,751 times
Default what if?

Quote:

I'm really stretching my thought process here but I have a "what if" question.

What if you didn't discharge her and you, your house, your identity, her assets ALL disappeared from the face of this earth.Gone. Done.
What does any facility that she is in do with her?? Clearly, they don't take her and put her by the curbside.

I honestly don't know what happens to her but your're almost at this point now so. . . anybody have a qualified answer to my question?

Old 02-12-2010, 02:46 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,651,532 times
I've got an update.

I talked to a divorce attorney a while back. At what first seemed like a relatively simple process was getting more and more complex (read: expensive) as we got into the topics of marital assets, legal liability, shared debt. So, I decided to shelve that concept for the time being and try another option. I got in touch with an Eldercare attorney. I signed a contract with them today. He assured me that he will get her qualified for Medicare and Medicaid. All assets (and debt) will be moved into my name only. He will direct the doctor as to how to properly fill out the required FL-2 form so it's accepted by Medicaid. She will have to move to a facility that accepts Medicaid payments, but that was sort of inevitable anyway.

So, I guess my next steps will be to contact BOA and see if I can stop the foreclosure, cancel the short sale contract, and see about moving back at some point.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:02 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
I've got an update.

I talked to a divorce attorney a while back. At what first seemed like a relatively simple process was getting more and more complex (read: expensive) as we got into the topics of marital assets, legal liability, shared debt. So, I decided to shelve that concept for the time being and try another option. I got in touch with an Eldercare attorney. I signed a contract with them today. He assured me that he will get her qualified for Medicare and Medicaid. All assets (and debt) will be moved into my name only. He will direct the doctor as to how to properly fill out the required FL-2 form so it's accepted by Medicaid. She will have to move to a facility that accepts Medicaid payments, but that was sort of inevitable anyway.

So, I guess my next steps will be to contact BOA and see if I can stop the foreclosure, cancel the short sale contract, and see about moving back at some point.
Well, at least the direction you should go in is becoming clearer to you - sigh. Hang in there!

Old 02-12-2010, 03:29 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,909,452 times
It sounds like you may finally have found a viable solution - a solution that will provide a decent, humane life for both of you. All of your on-line friends are hoping and praying for this.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:50 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
I hope this all falls in place without a lot of difficult hurdles to cross. Surely, 2010 will be the year you find some solutions that are reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte