Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2006, 04:01 PM

201 posts, read 536,996 times

Advertisements

? about salary. I just got a contract for a job in charlotte/meck, but now I need to contact schools. They said at the job fair, I would be paid by the appropriate salary schedule. According to the charlotte/mecklenburg I get a nice supplement. Is this true? dont want to call a school looking for a job and say "oh by the way what about this extra money." I know they got a big increase recently and according to the online salary, a masters with 3 yrs gets you : 38,442. Is this true?

http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/departments/HR/0607-Master.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 7,153 times
Default No No No!

Yes thats true you get a NICE bonus BUT...thats BEFORE taxes AND its only if you work in a "focus" school which you DONT want to do. I have worked in a focus school for 2 years now and am ready to strangle myself. Not only because the school but also b/c the school system itself is horrible!!! Be very careful, they will sell you in but once you get in CMS...its very difficult to get out with all their contractual obligations AND the lack of leadership skills of the principals ESPECIALLY at focus schools. They like to micromanage and run all over their staff and NOBODY monitors how unfairly they treat their staff. Be very careful...I know you see $$$ signs but take it from me, its not worth it!

Old 03-31-2008, 07:02 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,262,148 times
You can do better in one of the higher end private schools FWIW.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 14,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb321 View Post
? about salary. I just got a contract for a job in charlotte/meck, but now I need to contact schools. They said at the job fair, I would be paid by the appropriate salary schedule. According to the charlotte/mecklenburg I get a nice supplement. Is this true? dont want to call a school looking for a job and say "oh by the way what about this extra money." I know they got a big increase recently and according to the online salary, a masters with 3 yrs gets you : 38,442. Is this true?

Hey, I just joined and saw your question. I think every county in the state sets supplement amounts that are approved as part of their budgets. I can't speak to char/meck's schedule for this, but in other counties they get part of it before xmas and part of it before summer...just when you need it. In cabarrus, I started out w/supplements of about $740 two times per year, but that increases with your pay schedule. It's a nice bonus, actually. Hope this helps.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 14,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb321 View Post

By the way, you should be able to access that info. on line. There should be a salary schedule somewhere on their website. If it's not, compare to other counties w/your experience for at least a good idea...

Old 03-31-2008, 08:19 PM

529 posts, read 1,971,772 times
Another option for you... as a former CMS teacher, I have found Union County Schools to be quite amazing. Be careful, as someone said earlier... you got a contract to teach, not a guarantee as to where you will be every year. It can easily change.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:27 PM

11 posts, read 55,806 times
$38,000 with a Masters + 3 years? Does the local cost of living equate to the salary? In MA you would make that starting with a bachelor's out of college.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:56 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,349,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cball75 View Post
Another option for you... as a former CMS teacher, I have found Union County Schools to be quite amazing. Be careful, as someone said earlier... you got a contract to teach, not a guarantee as to where you will be every year. It can easily change.

Isn't that the same for any school system. They can send you where they want to when they want to.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:27 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,856,259 times
The original post was from 2006. In 2009, the legislature froze teacher salaries for two years. The pay scales for teachers are available on the CMS website; however, there have been recent talks about cutting salaries. Since the state based salary is set by the NC legislature, it would seem to me that if CMS wants to cut a salary it would have to be the amount of the CMS supplements (also listed on the web site in the salary info). A teacher is employed by the school system, not by an individual school and yes, he/she can be moved to any school in the system. Other counties/systems may also pay a supplement, it's not as high as CMS has historically offered, but salary should not be the only thing you consider if you are offered a job in a few different school systems. If you have a contract in a NC school and want to leave, as long as you give 30 days' notice, you are ok. If FOCUS schools have a different type of contract, I am not aware of it. Don't sign anything until you read it thoroughly. It is true that Cabarrus pays their supplement in two payments. CMS spreads it out as part of your ten paychecks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: