Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 11:32 PM

297 posts, read 1,138,564 times

Advertisements

I drove through this community a few days ago. I do not understand why the lots are soooo small and poorly laid out. It seems that every yard has a huge berm or retaining wall 20 ft from the back of the houses. There is no front yard and the house are close enough the neighbors could open windows and shake hands. What gives with the planning in this community for houses priced from the 180K to 200K?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 03:47 AM

549 posts, read 2,379,561 times
So I take it then you took a "liking" to the MI homes section? I heard it was the developer that chooses the size of the lots and the builder that chooses to participate has to find homes that will fit the lots. They are on the small side but it seems lots are getting smaller and smaller across the board over the couple of years. Even in higher end communities they are smaller now. They originally said, the clubhouse would be opened for the summer 2007 but it looks like it's not going to be.
Mi starts at 196k and ends at 230k.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anigirli View Post
So I take it then you took a "liking" to the MI homes section? I heard it was the developer that chooses the size of the lots and the builder that chooses to participate has to find homes that will fit the lots. They are on the small side but it seems lots are getting smaller and smaller across the board over the couple of years. Even in higher end communities they are smaller now. They originally said, the clubhouse would be opened for the summer 2007 but it looks like it's not going to be.
You must be kidding I would not buy in any development that is currently under construction in the Steel Creek area. For that matter I would not buy any home that was built on a lot smaller then .25 acres. Anything that small does not give the owner any benefits of having a yard. I would rent a townhouse or apartment with greenspace first.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:04 PM

549 posts, read 2,379,561 times
Well there are people that dont mind the small yard. Everyone's taste level is different. There are some of our fellow posters who bought in that community and are loving it, so they might have something interesting to say.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:33 PM

3,364 posts, read 9,993,427 times
I hate yard work, I love having a small yard and the berm makes for privacy.

If I wanted acres I would move out and commute as unfortunatly i have not found a moneytree yet.

The way I look at it duke would have a problem with a free house from extreme home makeover.

You seem to critise everything which is your right, but I am curious as to where you live right now yard size, when and who build etc.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:05 PM

578 posts, read 2,592,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
I hate yard work, I love having a small yard and the berm makes for privacy.

I totally agree. As long as I can't reach out and touch my neighbor (one of whom happens to be my best friend), I don't care about a big yard. I'm on a pretty big lot (to me) now, and all it is is extra yard work.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:15 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,192,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE1989 View Post
I drove through this community a few days ago. I do not understand why the lots are soooo small and poorly laid out. It seems that every yard has a huge berm or retaining wall 20 ft from the back of the houses. There is no front yard and the house are close enough the neighbors could open windows and shake hands. What gives with the planning in this community for houses priced from the 180K to 200K?
Oh DUKE....it was not that long ago that you accused many of the folks on this site of looking through ROSE COLORED GLASSES when it came to describing Charlotte and its surrounding areas. But now...how do you think any of us are going to take anything you say with much regard when you view the whole area through JADED EYES?

Old 05-25-2007, 07:20 AM

348 posts, read 1,358,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
I
The way I look at it duke would have a problem with a free house from extreme home makeover.

You seem to critise everything which is your right, but I am curious as to where you live right now yard size, when and who build etc.

AMEN to that. I agree that I have yet to see a positive post by "duke".

I too am curious as to who build their house...I'm sure it was 100% perfect, something noone else on these boards will ever achieve.

So tell us Duke, where is the utopia that we all have yet to find??

Old 05-25-2007, 07:47 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,814,324 times
Its the textbook version of a Love Hate relationship I believe

Old 05-25-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anigirli View Post
The builders are giving away concessions like crazy. I don't understand why they just don't make the lots more appealing. Many of you are moving here from some were else and probably do not realize that under that new sod is red clay. water running off these berms and hills behind the retaining walls will collect in the 20 foot wide yard. Settling of homes is going to be interesting in this neighborhood. There was one house on a corner in the development that had 50 to 75 feet of hill removed and tapered right the back of the house. No way would I buy a house that had so little usable space for $200K. I do not see any resale value in these homes there is nothing attractive to them. Only trying to point out what will be problems in the future. If you find the community to your looking well good for you. I hope you enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte