Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:32 PM

6 posts, read 23,188 times

Advertisements

I just graduated from UNC Charlotte in December and now I'm planning to join a gym in the University area since I can't use the school gym anymore. Peak Fitness and Lifestyle Family Fitness are the closest ones to me. I'd really appreciate any feedback about either gym to help me make my decision. My main reason to join a gym is for the group fitness classes because I already have a treadmill at home, so any info on how you liked the classes would be especially helpful.

Thanks,
Sheila
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 04:42 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
if you want classes I'd recommend the YMCA above all others.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:17 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,829,469 times
When I was comparing Peak to the YMCA, the Y classes and times offered won hands down. The big downside is that the Y is $65 per month and the gym probably $20.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:39 AM

140 posts, read 272,489 times
I belonged to Lifestyle Family Fitness when I lived in Florida, so I was glad to find them when I moved to Charlotte. I had initially joined the Y but missed the group fitness classes (body pump, body step, etc.) that I did at Lifestyle. They get my vote!

Old 01-15-2010, 10:45 AM

78 posts, read 228,294 times
I too am a YMCA person.

With Peak fitness, I got a really shady feeling when I visited the branch in Harrisburg. I have heard rumors of people having a really hard time trying to cancel their memberships, and being charged months after they formally quit. But the Peak fitness price was much better than the YMCA.

Unless you are dirt poor because the YMCA will give you special discount if you willing to prove that you are in financial dire straits. It is their mandate to leave nobody out.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:50 AM

6 posts, read 23,188 times
Thanks for the advice everyone! I really appreciate it. I would love to join the YMCA, but the closest location is 20-25 min from me and I know I'll never make it to the gym with that commute.

I've asked around a lot and I've heard a lot of shady things about Peak and how it's miserable trying to cancel from them. I went to Lifestyle Family Fitness for a tour today and I loved it. Great atmosphere and I can't wait to join the classes. I got a student rate for $33 a month so I decided to join.

Lexih, I'm planning on going to several of the group fitness classes so I'll most likely see you there! Which ones do you recommend? I'm really interested in Body Pump and Body Combat.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:44 AM

140 posts, read 272,489 times
Glad to hear you joined Lifestyle. My absolute favorite is Body Pump! Body Combat is also good....it'll kick your butt!! I have also done Body Step and Body Attack. Give them a try.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:19 AM

7 posts, read 12,678 times
I am going through the same thing. I belong to Lifestyle, and I love it. My husband wants to join the Syske Y, he may win out just because of location.... But Lifestyle is less expensive, cleaner and newer. They also have the latest class's and all the cardo equipment have individual TVs. I will be sad if I have to leave.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:52 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Peak is terrible. And for some reason, they can't keep their locations open. Anybody but Peak.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:56 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
Yeah. Peak has had some shady dealings. My visit with a personal trainer was a nightmare...the guy told me about steroids and what not...The University Y is not that far from the PEAK and Lifestyle, and it's 50/month for young adults (under 30). It's at the corner of Harris and Mallard Creek Road, tucked behind the drug store and some steakhouse. Maybe 10 minutes from the Peak on N Tryon (traffic is bad during rush hour on Harris though). I can't vouch for lifestyle. But I would not recommend PEAK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte