U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:15 AM

12,673 posts, read 12,204,544 times
Thought I'd revive this. Apparently, Ollies must be doing well here. They are opening 2 more semi-lovely stores in the area. One will be in Concord & the other will be in Gastonia, on East Franklin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 03:29 PM

1,860 posts, read 3,204,638 times
I went to the new Ollies in Mooresville about 2 weeks ago. I was not impressed. About the only thing I saw in there that day that I would have bought was a lampshade, seriously. I didn't get it because I wasn't sure if it would fit the lamp I wanted it for & I haven't had the chance to get back there. I will go check it out again since it appears to be one of those "hit-or-miss" kind of stores.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:26 AM

156 posts, read 252,881 times
The most wonderous thing about the Ollies nearest me (Matthews, next to the Hobby Lobby) is how nice and clean it is. We went to Ollies for many years in Baltimore, where the store was much older and, true to their image ("not so lovely"), it was a real hole. I am always happy to be in a new clean Ollies!

We buy certain things there that seem to be better deals than other places (cleaning stuff is a great deal there), but sometimes it's hit or miss, and you have to be patient and go back again and again.

Still, it was great to add Ollies to the group of "cheap stuff" stores here in CLT (Big Lots, Harbor Freight, Old Tyme Pottery, etc.).

MC

Old 05-19-2010, 07:37 AM

664 posts, read 1,671,733 times
There is one in Raleigh opened up. The store contents are a little hit or miss, depends if they have what you are looking for, a little like Big lots. Food, flooring ,books, sports goods, cheap (quality) DIY tools and household goods etc etc you get the picture

Old 05-19-2010, 10:21 AM

414 posts, read 531,166 times
I went, I saw, I yawned.
No really, these stores are great for "mindless" shopping. I "shopped" but never opened my wallet.

And NOoooo I didn't shop lift either

Old 05-19-2010, 01:34 PM

4,508 posts, read 5,257,713 times
I always have a list of odds and ends that I am looking for....but not things that I need or would pay full retail price for. I picked up a couple of stacking shelves to use in our camper. Oh, and I found large bottles of SPF45, oil free, waterproof sunscreen-$2.99!! It's perfect for DD and I and our fair skin, of course DH and DS will use it too....should more than last the summer for us. I've stopped in a few times since they opened in Matthews and I expect most of the time I won't find anything but you never know.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:27 PM
cfr

144 posts, read 200,094 times
I went to the Walmart on 29 by S & D coffee and saw that an Ollie's is going to be in Concord. I didn't see an opening date.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:13 PM

12,673 posts, read 12,204,544 times
Well, the Ollies opened in Gastonia & I got there today.

I love the place! it's just what I thought it would be, only cleaner.

The book section is like a mini version of Atlantic Books, if anyone is familiar with them.

I picked up odds & ends that I've been needing. Some of the food brands are from the MidAtlantic. I even saw some canisters of Wegman's oatmeal.

I got 180 page, 5 subject, college rule, notebooks for $1.49.

I saw locals wandering around looking confused, but, for the most part, people were buying. This is the type of place that has a long history in the Philadelphia area. Sam Walton never went into that market because of this kind of place. His kids went in after he died, but WalMart really could leave & maybe a handful of people would miss them.

ETA: Concord opens next week. Enjoy your new, semi-lovely, Ollies.

Last edited by southbound_295; 08-22-2010 at 05:23 PM..

Old 08-22-2010, 06:02 PM

38 posts, read 47,304 times
Went to Concord's Ollie's store soft opening Saturday. It is in the old Goody's building near Wal-Mart on Hwy 29/Concord Parkway. Store really opens on Aug. 25. Lots of merchandise still in boxes waiting to be shelved, but the store is bright, clean and well-organized. All the employees seemed friendly and helpful which is a huge plus.

Found a few books and a bag of caramels. Book selection is very good; lots of holiday cookbooks. I did go to the store in Matthews a few months back and think that store was larger. Merchandise seems random, but if you are willing to take a look you might find what you are needing. The Matthews store actually had an item I was looking for--dog agility weave poles--pretty random, but I was happy.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:01 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,533,404 times
Ollies is good as one of those places you visit once a year to see if there is anything worthwhile, and maybe you get something, and maybe you don't. I got my current vacuum cleaner there, and it's worked great, but I also bought a convection oven and had to return it, as it was broken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte