Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 01:40 PM

37 posts, read 78,663 times

Advertisements

An italian hotdog is a type of hotdog popular in north jersey and the boardwalk of the jersey shore. Although there are a number of different ways to prepare one, the basic ingredients are a cooked hot dog and a combination of fried peppers (green or red), onions, and potatoes cooked in soybean oil. The hot dog is then placed in pizza bread, and topped with the vegetables and potatoes and some like it with mustard or ketchup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 01:51 PM

416 posts, read 925,931 times
Altho not much, I have a little input from trying to find an Italian hot dog here, which I have not seen on any menu. I luvs me some Italian hotdog!

THEN, I was stoked to see it on a menu of an Italian restaurant where I became a regular customer. We're talking, hot dogs, peppers, onions, potatoes, mozzarella cheese wrapped in pizza dough and baked in a brick oven - the good stuff - right? Also,the version I have had previously in NJ (North Jersey).

Well, one time I went and they changed their menu a bit and they TOOK OFF "my" Italian hot dog!
I asked the owner why and his reply was " People kept pointing and asking what the heck is an Italian hot dog" (like Lumbollo said).
He said they didn't sell. (They made it delicious and I miss being able to order them )

That DOES NOT mean there is not a market for them, I am just throwing that out there since you are looking for input. I know I would be at your door. And I am guessing, DITTO what Couponjack said, about LOCATION, service,price and food, there might be others out there like me looking for YOUR product.

This story took place over a year or two ago? And despite this restaurant being off the beaten path, seem to be doing A'OK. Location might be against them, but they are thriving on the other mentioned factors, service, price, and food (At least IMO).
I mention that to you, because, this place does a big word a mouth business from people out there excited about their product. Just like I was excited to see "your future product".

I wish you luck! (lucky for me, if you succeed) Don't knock'em till ya tried 'em!

Old 01-23-2010, 02:06 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,781,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
sounds yummy. Does it have to be a specific brand of hot dog? (Like our Chicago dogs have to be Vienna beef hot dogs or they are not the same)
I am not sure what brand they use. I did not live very close to a Jimmy Buffs, so I was only there a few times, we made our own. We used "Best" brand beef hot dogs.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:41 PM

heartsN charlotte... where was that italian restaurant?
and yes price, service and location would be key.
thats are biggest challange is trying to decide where to open it

we would still offer your normal hot dogs and sausage sandwiches for the people that like a normal push cart style dirty water dog.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:44 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arp1500 View Post
if we do anything it would take a while to get it up and running and hopefully everyone will be doing better money and job wise. and the area and prices would have to be right, i was thinking somewhere in the middle of charlotte around southpark or even somewhere on carmel rd but we are not sure yet. and yes the prices would have to be right to bring people back some of the places up north charge $5 for a single dog and $7 for a double sandwich thats two foot long dogs with onions, peppers, and potatos its a whole meal in its self and maybe we can have specials like you buy a double and get a free drink, you go to mc donalds its $6 for a hamburger fries and a drink and its crappy food....
If you head there, you are almost guaranteed to have mostly natives who simply won't pay that kind of money for a hotdog. I would recommend that you head to the further flung suburbs where there are a lot more transplants. As I said earlier, the reason there are no expensive hotdog shops in the South is because Southerners don't consider this to be something to spend a lot of money on. IMO, I think it is a mistake to assume that because you located in an expensive area, that it means people will pay expensive prices for food.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:22 PM

969 posts, read 1,958,503 times
You should add grease truck sandwiches to the menu! You will probably have to diversify your menu, because regardless of all the transplants, most people here won't know what they are and may be hesitant to order them. Also, make sure you add local stuff to the menu, like a Carolina style hot dog, sweet tea, etc. just to be safe. And I think your concept would work better in the Ballantyne/Blakeney/Arboretum area rather than SouthPark.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:12 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
You should add grease truck sandwiches to the menu! You will probably have to diversify your menu, because regardless of all the transplants, most people here won't know what they are and may be hesitant to order them. Also, make sure you add local stuff to the menu, like a Carolina style hot dog, sweet tea, etc. just to be safe. And I think your concept would work better in the Ballantyne/Blakeney/Arboretum area rather than SouthPark.
Yes, a grease truck/italian dog/pizza place would do well in certain areas!...

the point is like a couple posters said, you won't get the natives to bite however that is not the target market. But you still can be successful, you just have to be smart about location/pricing,etc

Old 01-23-2010, 08:02 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
If you head there, you are almost guaranteed to have mostly natives who simply won't pay that kind of money for a hotdog. I would recommend that you head to the further flung suburbs where there are a lot more transplants. As I said earlier, the reason there are no expensive hotdog shops in the South is because Southerners don't consider this to be something to spend a lot of money on. IMO, I think it is a mistake to assume that because you located in an expensive area, that it means people will pay expensive prices for food.
I get what you're saying 100%. I lived in South Jersey for over 40 years & never heard of Italian hot dogs until I saw it on this board. The same goes for a number of food items that pop up here. Never heard of them. Never saw them on a menu.

If it was me & I was looking to play to the transplant crowd, I would add MidAtlantic foods to the NY/North Jersey foods, as well as a few local items. For instance, from Philly to Richmond, Maryland crab cakes are very popular. If you drive around South Jersey, you will find barbecue places, complete with whole pigs being turned on spits over fires built in large pits that have been dug in the ground.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:05 PM

thanks guys, yes we would still offer other stuff it would be anything that has to do with hot dogs and sausages and yes we would want the people from the south so the Carolina dog the regular push cart style dog and sweet tea would be on the menu..

grease truck sandwiches would be awesome but we want to start out simple at first

we are pricing up the equipment right now. and started looking into leases

thanks guys..keep your thoughts coming and i will keep you updated

Old 01-23-2010, 08:48 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arp1500 View Post
An italian hotdog is a type of hotdog popular in north jersey and the boardwalk of the jersey shore. Although there are a number of different ways to prepare one, the basic ingredients are a cooked hot dog and a combination of fried peppers (green or red), onions, and potatoes cooked in soybean oil. The hot dog is then placed in pizza bread, and topped with the vegetables and potatoes and some like it with mustard or ketchup.
That actually sounds pretty tasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte