U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 02:33 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,110,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
When you refer to "these people", I can only assume that you mean all local people in this area in a derrogatory manner. I don't know anyone that puts the "entire" blame on transplants, although transplants were a significant factor in regards to unemployment rates. That can't be denied. Remember, sixty percent of "these people" are from another country or state so there are varying opinions not representative of any particular group. The newcomers in the area plus the newly arrived immigrants certainly put Charlotte above average in regards to unemployment figures. Thank goodness the stimulus package has done such a great job providing jobs and keeping negative figured down.

I have seen a positive trend in the Observer lately. It seems that since they were about to close their doors a year ago, better reporting has began.

P.S. The article is about rock Hill. Statistics on a small place seem to be more dramatic that those in larger places. If a large company moved to Rock Hill and hired two thousand people, it would be significant. In Charlotte, it would be only helpful.
Thinking that the reference to "these people" was meaning the folks that the Observer was profiling. Not anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 06:51 PM

251 posts, read 932,276 times
westcoastbabe,

I was in Charlotte in October and I noticed lots of people are out of work, it is still lower then CA but--the
economy seems to be down in most areas...

Old 01-24-2010, 08:32 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,650,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Thinking that the reference to "these people" was meaning the folks that the Observer was profiling. Not anyone else.
EXACTLY! you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out I was referring to the couple in the article...NOT locals..

omg, talk about sensitive....

Old 01-25-2010, 06:28 AM

4,761 posts, read 6,415,909 times
While having a family to support is an issue, it pisses me off to see this guy say that he'd rather take the unemployment check than go work at McDonald's. You start, START, at $6 or $7 per hour. If you're not a total buffoon you can get raises.

One thing people need to get out of their heads, especially those who are unemployed, is that they are "too good for a particular job". That, and you are not necessarily worth $15 dollars an hour. You know those jobs that Americans just won't do? Maybe its time Americans start looking at those jobs and asking for a fair wage. You're not getting $20 per hour to sweep floors. Just ain't happening. Get used to that idea.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:04 AM
am2

413 posts, read 744,148 times
I dont think people are just comming here because they think that theyre gonna find a job. People they market is bad here like at is everywhere. Thats old news. The main reason people are still moving here (and will continue to move here) is the warmer climate and lower cost of living.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:51 AM

2,820 posts, read 4,917,931 times
The climate is warmer in New Mexico and parts of Iowa......Can't say that about North Dakota....LOL...but my point is that the economy has not really affected that part of the country all that much...I dont see people moving there like its no tomorrow.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:51 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,713,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am2 View Post
I dont think people are just comming here because they think that theyre gonna find a job. People they market is bad here like at is everywhere. Thats old news. The main reason people are still moving here (and will continue to move here) is the warmer climate and lower cost of living.
You are right. If people haven't figured out that there is a high unemployment problem in the area like everywhere else, they have no business moving unless they are independently wealthy or retired or in a high-demand scientific or engineering field.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:57 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,876,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
The climate is warmer in New Mexico and parts of Iowa......
Not to harp on a little point but there is no way Iowa is considered a warm climate.

Back to the point at hand: if you have kids to support you take ANY job and go from there. Sheesh what is wrong with some people?

Old 01-26-2010, 07:09 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,929,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
While having a family to support is an issue, it pisses me off to see this guy say that he'd rather take the unemployment check than go work at McDonald's. You start, START, at $6 or $7 per hour. If you're not a total buffoon you can get raises. ......
This is a position that doesn't make much sense to me if unemployment is paying more than what you can reasonably make at McDonalds. Unemployment is earned, it's not passed out to those who never worked. McDonalds is where you go when there is nothing else, because this is what that huge corporation chooses to pay people to work there.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:16 AM

9 posts, read 12,455 times
Well I must say.. My family and I recently relocated to Charlotte,NC from Maryland. However; we brought our company with us. We are self-employed..thank God. We have the option of living anywhere. I have heard great things about Charlotte; I must admit I too believed the grass was greener; my daughter hates the high school. The area in which I live are people whom relocated from Jersey and NY.. I don't really like my community. I don't really feel as though I'm welcomed. We are going to relocate to north charlotte over the summer. I do understand the toll transplants take on a city that is already struggling economically; but not all people who move here are looking to take advantage of a system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte