U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 07:53 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,107,177 times

Advertisements

Newcomers learn hard facts on unemployment - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/1200558.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 08:08 AM

716 posts, read 1,358,134 times
Its funny how they always blame the unemployment crisis on the people moving here from out of state.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:26 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,644,749 times
There is a multitude of problems here. 1. These people had issues b4 they moved here. No savings, no safety net. So IF they lost there income, they would be in trouble right away. Its just unfortunate they landed in Rock Hill and made their problem Rock Hill's problem.

Also, it is unfair to put the entire blame on transplants. You take the good w/the bad. People enjoyed the growth over the years, but if the economy goes to shambles its going to hit everyone hard. Also, what happened to these people has been accelerated for 2 yrs now. Its just typical of the lousy reporting in this town to only write the story NOW......(where were you 2 yrs ago when this trend was starting and most knew it would get worse?)

The point is the grass is not always greener on the other side, and get your house in order first before you do anything drastic......

Old 01-24-2010, 09:15 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,711,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
There is a multitude of problems here. 1. These people had issues b4 they moved here. No savings, no safety net. So IF they lost there income, they would be in trouble right away. Its just unfortunate they landed in Rock Hill and made their problem Rock Hill's problem.

Also, it is unfair to put the entire blame on transplants. You take the good w/the bad. People enjoyed the growth over the years, but if the economy goes to shambles its going to hit everyone hard. Also, what happened to these people has been accelerated for 2 yrs now. Its just typical of the lousy reporting in this town to only write the story NOW......(where were you 2 yrs ago when this trend was starting and most knew it would get worse?)

The point is the grass is not always greener on the other side, and get your house in order first before you do anything drastic......

When you refer to "these people", I can only assume that you mean all local people in this area in a derrogatory manner. I don't know anyone that puts the "entire" blame on transplants, although transplants were a significant factor in regards to unemployment rates. That can't be denied. Remember, sixty percent of "these people" are from another country or state so there are varying opinions not representative of any particular group. The newcomers in the area plus the newly arrived immigrants certainly put Charlotte above average in regards to unemployment figures. Thank goodness the stimulus package has done such a great job providing jobs and keeping negative figured down.

I have seen a positive trend in the Observer lately. It seems that since they were about to close their doors a year ago, better reporting has began.

P.S. The article is about rock Hill. Statistics on a small place seem to be more dramatic that those in larger places. If a large company moved to Rock Hill and hired two thousand people, it would be significant. In Charlotte, it would be only helpful.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:16 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,992,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
Its funny how they always blame the unemployment crisis on the people moving here from out of state.
yeah, hilarious. almost as funny as your UE benefit extension celebration threads. too funny.

nearly as funny as your October market predictions and other chicken little market advice.

absolutely hilarious.

tell me again... did you move here with a job?

Old 01-24-2010, 09:20 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,992,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Also, it is unfair to put the entire blame on transplants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteObserverArticle
Now, experts say, they are one reason local unemployment has reached a crisis stage.
Where is the entire blame being placed on transplants? I don't find it outrageous to observe that surging transplants have tightened the job market. Especially transplants who come here with few skills and no job. It's a no-brainer, not a blame-game.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:29 AM

4,919 posts, read 7,847,729 times
These people are not typical of most transplants to the area. They sound extremely irresponsible. Maybe they heard that the social services were better here?

Old 01-24-2010, 09:55 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,926,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post

I have seen a positive trend in the Observer lately. It seems that since they were about to close their doors a year ago, better reporting has began....
This article is a reprint from an article that appeared in the Herald newspapers a couple of weeks ago. It was not an Observer article. The Observer has sundered itself and continues to do so as last week they laid off another 11 out of the news room. (out of 25 or so total) It's mostly reprints of AP articles and consolidated generic news they produce for several of their papers.

The Observer tends to be the official mouthpiece of the Charlotte CCCP, Mayor, Chamber of Commerce and a few others. They don't normally go against anything these people will support. They won't take a stand on anything and they are not consistent with anything. I don't bother to read it anymore unless someone posts a link here.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:57 AM

578 posts, read 2,353,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
These people are not typical of most transplants to the area. They sound extremely irresponsible. Maybe they heard that the social services were better here?
I was going to post this article, but I see someone beat me to it!

I agree about irresponsible. I moved here when times were good, and I still flew in from the West Coast to make sure I had a job before I moved a thing. I've been blessed, and THIS transplant is contributing plenty via taxes (ouch, ouch). I just cannot imagine moving to a place without a plan and a backup plan, especially when children are involved.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:58 AM

2,820 posts, read 4,915,569 times
What puzzles me is why people still continue to flock to North Carolina in general for a better life....As one of the few natives still here...I understand that NC cost of living is affordable/great place to raise a family however this area has failed to keep up economically & structurally to accommodate the influx of transplants. Honestly people should try relocating to other areas where the economy hasnt affected job growth as much such as North Dakota, Iowa, New Mexico....You may laugh...but if you read Forbes/Kiplinger/Money....those places are begging for people to come there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte