U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:31 AM

249 posts, read 426,602 times

Advertisements

When we bought our new house 8 years ago we paid our builder to install an alarm system during the build. We didn't want it monitored, but only wanted the local alarm to sound off and made that very clear. A bit of a long story, but CPI then offered us 3 years free monitoring. We took it and then paid for monitoring after the 3 year mark until today. Now that we're thinking of getting rid of our phone line and going full cellular, they want to charge us $10 more per month and $99 for a transmitting box. I asked that we have the monitoring disconnected and then just go back to the local alarm go off instead. I'm being told by CPI that I can't do that. They said if you don't have it monitored, the system beeps constantly and would drive us crazy so we might as well have it completely disconnected. This doesn't sound right. I honestly can't recall if we had it unmonitored for a short time before we got the monitoring offer. Anybody out there have a system with no monitoring? Am I being fed a load of crap? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 12:00 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,169,656 times
My neighbors have CPI turned off (no monitoring). They seem to be okay with it but I am not sure how they did it. Why not give it a try and let us know what you find out?

Also, remember with CPI you must cancel in writing before your contract expires or else they will automatically resign you for 3 more years. OUCH!

Old 01-25-2010, 01:37 PM

3,356 posts, read 8,878,619 times
What ever you do before you cancel with the alarm company, disconnect the phone as they have a nasty habit of disabling the system, even when you technically own it.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
What ever you do before you cancel with the alarm company, disconnect the phone as they have a nasty habit of disabling the system, even when you technically own it.
Interesting that you say that. Despite paying the builder to have the system installed when the house was built (and told we could have a local-only alarm), CPI is telling me that they have to take out a piece of the system if we cancel, basically rendering it useless. I find this disturbing considering we were told all along we could have a local-only alarm by the builder, but I suppose it might be like Direct TV or cable. I have a friend who told me this is garbage and that he has two investment properties with a system-only and no monitoring. The saga continues...

Old 01-25-2010, 03:53 PM

2,148 posts, read 3,669,364 times
sounds fishy. My last two homes had security systems, one ADT and the other Brinks. I had ADT system monitored for couple years and decided it was a waste and cancelled the service. I had Brinks installed during construction on latest home and never had it monitored. When the kids were young I just wanted to know when someone was coming or going by the tone when door is opened. I also had so many people (wife, nanny, cleaning lady) coming thru house during the day that I didn't think there was way to disarm/arm unit control panel correctly.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:50 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,941,992 times
Unhook the thing from the phone line, tell them to cancel the service because you are not paying anymore, and you dare them to step on your property. Just because they say it's so, doesn't mean it's so.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Unhook the thing from the phone line, tell them to cancel the service because you are not paying anymore, and you dare them to step on your property. Just because they say it's so, doesn't mean it's so.
Under normal circumstances, I would agree, however, I do know when you unhook the system from the phone line it beeps annoyingly to let you know of the disconnection. If there was a way to bypass this or fix the system so it doesn't ever beep, that is the key. I've got a rep looking into it. I called and spoke to a rep and she told me it HAD to be monitored and the "removal" was in the contract I signed. When I asked her if she had a copy of the contract, I got "ummm, errrr". To my surprise, there was a supervisor listening in on the call and actually stepped in to help. They're supposed to get back to me soon. I know when my wife signed the contract, it stated "No cost for monitoring!" We shall see.

Thanks for all the replies!

Old 01-26-2010, 01:57 PM

79 posts, read 199,329 times
What is the point in having an alarm system if it is not monitored?

Old 01-26-2010, 02:04 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,050,079 times
If you give me your address, I will answer your questions.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHM1 View Post
What is the point in having an alarm system if it is not monitored?
What is the point of a monitored alarm system if it takes more than 15 minutes for the cops to show up? You think the burglers would stay in a house when the alarm is going off for the entire neighborhood to hear, not knowing if it's monitored or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte