U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 01:24 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,343,119 times

Advertisements

I am aware the title may be an oxy-moron, but I am not sure. Confession: DW and I love "Pawn Stars" on the history channel and we wanted to go poke around in a pawn shop, but the only ones around us are in not so nice areas (like off Sugar Creek near 85). Are they any uptown/south Charlotte pawn shops that are worth checking out aren't shady? We also have some old Jewelry her HS sweetheart gave to her that she wants to get rid of, and we could always use a couple extra bucks...

As you can tell, I have never actually been in a P.S. before so if my sterotypes are not applicable, enlighten me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 01:31 PM

79 posts, read 197,832 times
I may be wrong but never seen or heard of a "classy" pawn shop in Charlotte. Been here since 1974 so someone enlighten me if I am incorrect...

Old 01-27-2010, 01:54 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,793,027 times
I have never been in a pawn shop at all. But since I frequent the area, I pass one on Central and Pecan and it seems to have lots of activity. I would sell jewelry to a jeweler instead of a pawn shop, better return for your investment.

Last edited by Brooklyn_QueenBee; 01-27-2010 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: sp?

Old 01-27-2010, 02:02 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,978,743 times
I wouldn't sell jack-squat to a pawn shop.

And I wouldn't buy much from 'em either. They have a very inflated view of the quality of their dirty worn-out junk.

I've stopped at pawn shops along central and Monroe (sometimes if I needed a tool or something for a limited time and didn't know if I wanted to buy new) and NEVER ended up buying anything. Usually just end up getting it new for very close (or less!) than what those crooks would charge. They charge up to 80% or more of retail value for something that looks like it was dragged down the road chained to a garbage truck for 6 months. I've tried a few different shops with the hope that some may be more realistic about values, but they are all the same. I will add that I'm never looking at jewelry... I usually look at tools and guitars.

Once in college I needed to get a cash advance for some expenses so I took my Martin guitar down to the pawn shop for a temporary loan. They were going to loan me $65 for a $1400 guitar. Needless to say I found another way.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:28 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,678,703 times
There was this real kind of place you are looking for on east trade years ago called 'Belins Pawn shop" Most around here are for hard workin, hard drinkin. hard livin types and Rapper punks looking for "bling"....My sister sold about 5k worth of guns and ended up with about 1200 and guns pawn better than rings. Dont look for cheap prices when you buy, only when you sell. I heard that many pawn shops have a cool off room where they store items that may be hot...After the heats gone and no one is looking hard for the stolen items they move them out of town to another pawn shop where they can be safely sold...

Old 01-27-2010, 02:53 PM

249 posts, read 425,165 times
No such thing. If you watch the show, the guys offer next to nothing and make a healthy profit on what they sell. Imagine all the stuff you DON'T see on the air! I'd go ebay all day before I'd go to a pawn shop.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:13 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,914,012 times
Pawn Shops are selling convenience which is why they exist.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:21 AM

78 posts, read 200,277 times
I have never sold stuff at a pawnshop I would instead use craigslist where prices seem freakishly higher than anticipated.

But I have gotten a few really good deals from pawnshops. Like a used car sales man, you usually can haggle a fair bit. If an item has sat for awhile, you can get 50% of the asking price sometimes. It certainly is not the easiest way to get a deal. And there is plenty of junk. But sometimes you can find a treasure for a great price.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:24 AM

78 posts, read 200,277 times
Oh and for classy, the word "pawn" becomes "upscale consignment".

Old 01-28-2010, 11:40 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,343,119 times
Looks like my dream of finding a classy pawn shop is dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or