Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:42 PM

295 posts, read 1,061,544 times

Advertisements

Can't we all just get along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 08:44 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Is there some reason that rap is being isolated? What about rock? Heavy metal? Should I quote lyrics from either of those genres?

It really sounds to me like you've chosen the wrong community for yourself, based on this thread and the other about your difficulty communicating with your neighbors. For that, I'm really sorry.

SL

Probably because rap is associated with gangs. The other crap like Marilyn Manson is associated with the gothic kids. Mettalica and some others heavy metal are asscociated with devil worshipers and if I see any of those people at the playground it would bother me.

I should but out I don't even live in Berewick

Old 05-31-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mags View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. What is wrong with people playing basketball and expressing their sense of style. These complaints are comming from past bellbottom, hippys. Did the value of homes go down when you were a kid expressing you sense of style?

I'll tell you what if the gangs today dressed like hippys with bell bottoms I'd be on the lookout for them too. Too many people are caught up in this guilt complex. It is what it is. When the gangs change clothing I'll be on the lookout for the ones dressed in the new gang clothing. If new gang music is on the scene besides rap I'll be complaining about the new music. It is what it is.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:51 PM

The change should come from parents educating their kids that they shouldn't dress like gang members. That will make a difference.

Good night and good luck.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:22 AM

249 posts, read 874,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mags View Post
New2charlotte stated that "They weren't all black people, not hardly".

Nobody mentioned that, you are caught out! It's not your fault, you learned it from you parents.
I am "caught out"? And you pretty much called myself and my parents racist? Pretty ignorant. It must be easy to comment from the peanut gallery, meanwhile this started as a discussion between people that had witnessed something. Had you been involved you would have known that the group at the bball court was about 70% black 30% white... give or take. Not that it matters but for a point of reference that is the inference. Maybe you want your kids hearing things like n**** this and f*** that while they play at the playground but I dont want my kids to... No matter who is saying it. Its not about race, its about whats appropriate for your community and your children.

And sorry, but as for nobody mentioned it... if you can't understand the implications of this thread I would suggest you go back and read it again.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:08 AM

295 posts, read 1,061,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post
I am "caught out"? And you pretty much called myself and my parents racist? Pretty ignorant. It must be easy to comment from the peanut gallery, meanwhile this started as a discussion between people that had witnessed something. Had you been involved you would have known that the group at the bball court was about 70% black 30% white... give or take. Not that it matters but for a point of reference that is the inference. Maybe you want your kids hearing things like n**** this and f*** that while they play at the playground but I dont want my kids to... No matter who is saying it. Its not about race, its about whats appropriate for your community and your children.

And sorry, but as for nobody mentioned it... if you can't understand the implications of this thread I would suggest you go back and read it again.
O.K, maybe your not racist and maybe you have gangs living in your neighborhood. You should have researched that before you moved to bewarewick. Even if your property does go down, it's not going to be because of the baskeball players, it's going to be becuase of poor schools in that area. Believe me, I could have moved to berwick, but I chose not to because of the schools system in that area. Now of days you are buying more than a house you are buying a neighborhood. Sell and go to Fort Mill, SC.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:03 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I'll tell you what if the gangs today dressed like hippys with bell bottoms I'd be on the lookout for them too. Too many people are caught up in this guilt complex. It is what it is. When the gangs change clothing I'll be on the lookout for the ones dressed in the new gang clothing. If new gang music is on the scene besides rap I'll be complaining about the new music. It is what it is.

Yep. It's no different if I was Italian, wore a real expensive suit and drove around in an expensive Cadillac smoking expensive cigars. You may first assume that I was in the mob, especially if I looked like that around this area.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:17 AM

137 posts, read 744,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berewickresident2 View Post
I am from the New York area and possibly being from that area is why I am soooo disturbed by the attitudes on this blog. Everything that has been stated is a sterotype! Has anyone ever started to have a conversation with one of these kids? Probably not. Because someone wears baggy jeans and is "colorful" does not mean they are drug dealers or gang bangers. Why don't you get to know these kids before you go judging them.
I thought we lived in an era when racism was far and few between. Obviously from this blog it is not. Living in this neighborhood, I know for a fact it is diverse, which makes it so unique and wonderful. There are people from all different nationalities making up the Berewick Community.
If the people who have spoken on this blog would like to live in the "white" area, get better jobs and move to Southpark. Stop acting like you are better than anyone else in the community.
Be the change you wish to see in the world!
It may be a stereotype, but reality is.....much of what they say is true. Not just Charlotte, but MANY areas of this great country of ours turns to s*** when a certain class of folks move in. Sorry if you dont like our opinion.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:03 AM

448 posts, read 1,855,276 times
GETTING BACK TO THE TOPIC.......

A month ago I went to my KB Design Studio meeting. I drove by Berewick's basketball court and I saw a group of people in it that didn't look very good. I am not going into details on their appearance but let me just say that I got worried about having them as neighbors and crime in the area. Now after reading several of these posts, I realize that these people might not have been residents.

My questions are the following:
Is the HOA addressing this issue? once I become a resident, should I call the cops and would they do anything about this?

Another problem that I noticed is that some neighbors are less considerate than others. For example, I was driving up and down the area, and I noticed one house in particular in SeaMill that had the car garage door open and the owner of the property was blasting his/her radio from inside the garage. I've read the HOA rules, and it clearly states that noise should be kept at a minimal and under no circumstance it should bother your neighbors. Well, I could hear this person's radio four houses away. Is this also being address at the HOA meetings?

Last but not least, once again, driving around, I saw some residents with cars parked in front of their houses, in the street, with several people just standing around their cars drinking......not very attractive.

I am concerned that Berewick might end up being a ghetto community. Is the HOA serious about these issues?

Old 06-01-2007, 09:24 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGONZ001 View Post
GETTING BACK TO THE TOPIC.......

A month ago I went to my KB Design Studio meeting. I drove by Berewick's basketball court and I saw a group of people in it that didn't look very good. I am not going into details on their appearance but let me just say that I got worried about having them as neighbors and crime in the area. Now after reading several of these posts, I realize that these people might not have been residents.

My questions are the following:
Is the HOA addressing this issue? once I become a resident, should I call the cops and would they do anything about this?

Another problem that I noticed is that some neighbors are less considerate than others. For example, I was driving up and down the area, and I noticed one house in particular in SeaMill that had the car garage door open and the owner of the property was blasting his/her radio from inside the garage. I've read the HOA rules, and it clearly states that noise should be kept at a minimal and under no circumstance it should bother your neighbors. Well, I could hear this person's radio four houses away. Is this also being address at the HOA meetings?

Last but not least, once again, driving around, I saw some residents with cars parked in front of their houses, in the street, with several people just standing around their cars drinking......not very attractive.

I am concerned that Berewick might end up being a ghetto community. Is the HOA serious about these issues?
With such serious concerns, why would you buy there? What was the draw? You've described a very unpleasant experience. You've described a community that would be a deterrent for a lot of people. I don't know where Berewick is located, I don't know anyone who lives in Berewick so I am basing my comments solely on posts within this thread.

I'm also quite intrigued that despite having an HOA which so many people value, it certainly seems pointless in this specific community. So, what's the point of the HOA? And aren't you all paying for this?

Also, I would think that non-residents would be considered trespassers. Can trespassers not be made to leave by the police?

You're concerned that Berewick might end up a "ghetto community" and from my perspective, when you tell me folks stand around vehicles drinking, sounds like you're already there ... sorry. So again, why did you buy within a community with so many issues in plain sight?

SL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte