Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,825 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard of this? Seems they are planning to rezone the area to build affordable housing apartments. Berewick Apartments http://www.steelecr eekresidents. org/phpbb2/ viewtopic. php?t=360 In an ongoing effort of providing affordable, work-force housing throughout the City, The Housing Partnership is excited to have the opportunity to be apart of the Berewick, master-planned community in the Southwest area of Mecklenburg County. Berewick, a 1,070 acre community which is well underway, once complete will feature an office and business park, a town center with a variety of retail shops, large single family neighborhoods and one of the largest district parks in the County. Although development on Berewick Apartments is still in the early stages of design, The Housing Partnership has proposed that the design include multiple three-story buildings housing no more than 60 two-bedroom units, 48 three-bedroom units, a club house with a sunroom, computer lab and an on-site fitness center. Total development cost for the affordable housing community is projected to be approximately $13,000,000. The community will feature outdoor amenities such as a playground, bike racks, walking trails and a covered picnic area complete with grills and outdoor seating areas. The anticipated rents of these units will range from $320-$700 while the unit sizes will ranges from 900-1,100 square feet. Adjacent to the site will be Berewick Elementary school which is now under construction by Charlotte-Mecklenbu rg Schools (CMS) and set to open by the 2009 school year. Mecklenburg County Parks and Recreation will develop a large district park behind the site with multiple amenities such as nature trails and passive areas. A new single-family subdivision and a church will be built south of the site across from Dixie River Road. The Housing Partnership is in the process of rezoning and finalizing planned funding sources. The Housing Partnership is a broad-based, private, nonprofit housing development and financial services corporation dedicated to expanding affordable, well-maintained housing within stable neighborhoods for low and moderate income families in Mecklenburg County with a continuing interest in the ability of occupants to more fully enter the economic mainstream. Their vision is that everyone in Mecklenburg County lives in a decent, affordable home. Incorporated as a 501(c)(3) corporation in 1988, The Housing Partnership is committed to continued collaboration with the private sector, along with neighborhood and government partners, in promoting and developing economically integrated neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 08:50 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,690,133 times
There goes the neighborhood. Berewick will be full of low class people that will only abuse and destroy the amenities WE pay for. I am sure those people won't have to pay association fees. Go PAPPAS!! You sure know how to $#%$ people over.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:00 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,437,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
There goes the neighborhood. Berewick will be full of low class people that will only abuse and destroy the amenities WE pay for. I am sure those people won't have to pay association fees. Go PAPPAS!! You sure know how to $#%$ people over.
+1,000,000

I will be the first to pull back the sheet and expose what "low income housing" really means and what it does to an area. If I were you homeowners in Berewick who just sunk $150-300k on a house, fire would be shooting out of my mouth about this. Your home values are about to plummet, your homes and cars about to be broken into, and the overall desire to live in your neighborhood will be virtually extinguished. Sound dramatic? Maybe a little bit. But you need something to light a fire under your butts and make you fight this crap.

Pappas is running from his commitment of developing this once promising neighborhood. The market has tanked and he's not turning the extortionist profits he once dreamed about...so he's calculating his exit under a veil of a smoke screen. I've personally seen some cases of him attempting to bail on his development commitments by pawning them off onto the City to finish up (road widenings and extensions) with a veil of "it'll be better for everyone if you guys do it."

Don't take this laying down. If they want to build this kind of crap housing, send them to the already infected areas nearby...not in your faces.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:49 PM

578 posts, read 2,589,745 times
Were apartments in the original plan at all? I don't know much about Berewick except for where it is, but if I bought a house in a neighborhood with certain expectations for what the neighborhood was going to be like, and the developer DRAMATICALLY changed the vision of the neighborhood, I would be furious.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:54 PM

140 posts, read 321,431 times
I feel bad for all of you who invested in Berewick, but the key here is that word precisely: invested.

You should have known it is always a roll of the dice in a brand new development. A friend of mine was ever so close to buy there lured by the good prices and future amenities, but I suggested him to buy in an established neighborhood instead and I'm sure he'll be glad once he hears this news.
The biggest worry at the time was the sheer size of the project and its probability to get actually completed considering the looming real estate/mortgage debacle. It was also troubling the presence of the KB and Beazer kinds who approved so many people with no money down, a real concern when you have so many people "buying" with no money down at once.

I agree however; all of you should fight Pappas because you are definitely not getting what you paid and are paying for living at Berewick. I agree with the other poster that Pappas is taking the easy way out and no way jose, no way.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:18 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,101,495 times
So if I go around the neighborhood with a protest petition, you all are going to sign it, and show up at the city council meeting, right??!!??

Old 03-26-2009, 03:29 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,437,666 times
Not me...I live on the complete other side of the city now. Sorry!

If you've got an HOA meeting between now and then, I'd recommend going to that and rallying those troops to your side...then canvasing the neighborhood. Come up with a knock-out sales pitch to keep people from brushing you off as another solicitor that couldn't read the "no soliciting" sign out front! Folks will listen if you get them seeing the point of their investment will suffer directly and immediately as a result of this. Even the softy ones that want affordable housing built everywhere to keep people on their feet...the NIMBY will come out in the best of them! Use it your advantage!

Old 03-27-2009, 07:15 AM

6 posts, read 16,903 times
coastalgirl...go to berewickforums.com. A well organized movement has already started which includes a petition.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:05 AM

15 posts, read 46,050 times
Many of the comments on berewickforums.com are not accurate. Has anyone contacted the Housing Partnership directly for information? The Housing Partnership is NOt the Housing Authority...

Old 03-30-2009, 11:50 AM

28,396 posts, read 16,248,375 times
Good point, Eli. Housing Partnership: The Housing Partnership

Housing Authority: Home | Charlotte Housing Authority

What the net difference to the community will be, I'm not sure.

Is there something that states this is a Housing Partnership initiative and not a Housing Authority initiative?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte