U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 01:46 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,303,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
We should learn from the Greeks and Turks, probably two nationalities with the most hate for each other. Yet, in 1999, Turkey experience a 7.4 earthquake that killed close to 20,000 people, and Greece was the first foreign country to pledge support. A few weeks later, another earquake hit Greece, and Turkish help was the first one to arrive. If the Greeks and Turks can put their differences aside, we can put our ignorance and selfishness on hold for a while, and extend a hand to the Haitian people. We never know if next time we will be the ones needing help.
I wish I could rep you again!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 02:13 PM

7,105 posts, read 9,701,079 times
As some of you know I spend about a third of my time in the Dominican Republic. I just returned from the DR and although I didn't cross the border in Haiti (not very smart for your personal safety without being a member of a large support group) I saw enough.

If one were to see only one day of what has happened to this country, I challenge anyone, no matter how hard of a position you hold on immigration rights, to say they have no business passing thru Charlotte.

That's all I have to say on the subject. Will be going back in 3 weeks and maybe I'll have something more to report then.In the meantime try to put yourself in their shoes. Sorry, they don't have shoes, I forgot for a moment.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:54 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
How long will the Haitians stay? What will they do while here? Is there any plan to help educate these people so when they do go back to Haiti they will be able to make the country better?

This is another reason why I haven't donated to any Haiti relief funds. I am already donating through my taxes.
That's the thing - I don't think they ARE staying. This will be a processing center - a place for them to get medical care and then to be sent on to relatives or friends already in this country.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:55 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
My understanding is that this is not a matter of Charlotte or any other city in the US randomly opening its borders for throngs of refugees to come in. These are people who were living in Haiti but are either really US citizens or other country citizens and they are using Charlotte and other US cities as a half-way point to somewhere else.
Exactly.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:03 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,648,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I want to comment on this but as a moderator I cant
some may not like what I have to say

Hahahahahahahaha, one more----> HA!

I will withhold my comment as well, but it's killing me

Old 01-29-2010, 03:42 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,441,208 times
The N.C. Emergency Management Team alerted city officials in Charlotte and Raleigh to prepare to provide shelter and medical care to U.S. citizens, and foreign nationals from Haiti and other countries. They were evacuated after the 7.0 earthquake that killed more than 150,000 and left at least 1 million homeless.

The lead paragraph of this story indicates that these are U.S. citizens and foreign nationals. The story later indicates that Charlotte will be a stopping point to other countries.

Have you people lost your humanity in addition to your reading comprehension skills? My God, every time I think people can't get more hateful, I come back to this board and I'm thrown back into what people apparently really are - particularly when they aren't afraid to express it while using the Internet as a form of anonymity. The funny thing is, I suspect I meet many of you on a daily basis, considering that my job and multiple volunteer endeavours put me at the forefront of the public regularly. I wonder if the same people who are kind to my face and pretend to be accepting of me and my family, are the same ones who write such trash in this type of forum? Yes, trash as I can't tell you how often I cringe at the words of certain blatantly racist and xenophobic posters who spout ignorance on a continuous basis.

My family has been hurt by this economy as much as the next person. We've got the same struggles as many of you, yet that hasn't closed our hearts to what other people endure. We've got astounding medical bills ($40K+ and rising) due to a chronic condition I have and multiple hospitalizations, we're raising yet another child with moderate disabilities who receives extensive therapy - much of which isn't covered by our insurance, we are very much so underemployed, especially me, considering my education, experience and military background (yet I make minimum wage on a part-time basis as a city employee) and my husband works three jobs, seven days a week, busting his hump to keep it all together for us. But I suspect that we're happier than many of you who are so miserable because you're dealing with this me vs them mentality. Get a grip!

And in spite of all the aforementioned, I give, give, and give because that's what decent people do. I don't hide behind the guise of Christianity to guide my actions either. Simply put, it's not very hard to discern right from wrong. Haiti was already in dire straits before that earthquake wreaked havoc on an already broekn nation. How do we turn our back on burn victims that need treatment? Orphans that need homes? Families that have nothing to eat, and nowhere to go?

I hope none of you ever experience anything of this magnatude because I wouldn't wish this type of hurt, despair, loss and grief on my worse enemy. But, if you ever need a hand from someone, I hope that they'll be less judgemental than many of you.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:05 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,666,916 times
I am suprised at the vitrol. Let's open up our arms and help. And people wonder why we are looked upon with disdain. It's not liek 1MM people will be coming here. Kudos to all those who said positive influential things.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-29-2010 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: If you have a question for the Mod, please use the DM feature.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:56 PM
am2

413 posts, read 743,892 times
anything is better than the place they came from.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:33 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,192,477 times
I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for over 30 years. And I have to say living there gives you a better idea of what goes on in Haiti and Cuba. While Cuban refugees were welcomed with open arms because they escaped a communist country, any Haitian that survived the dangerous trip was sent back to a country whose leaders murdered people randomly, usually by throwing a tire over someone and setting it on fire. Look up the Tonton Macoute. I watched on tv when they fished bodies out of the water of the Haitians that didn't make it. I saw bodies on beaches of those who didn't make it. It didn't sit well with many people that the Cubans were allowed to stay (and rightfully so because of what was going on there) but the Haitians were sent back. That's the reason we went to Haiti in the 80's to get rid of the dictator and bring democracy hoping the immigration would stop. Things got somewhat better for them but they still endured many hardships. The ones allowed to stay in the US were overall hard workers who took any job at any pay just to stay here and be free and send money back to their families. They didn't come to be on welfare and if it got to that they wouldn't have been allowed to stay. I knew many of them and what I took away most from knowing them was their faith in God and their joy for life, even with all their hardships.

They need our compassion now and our help.

When you realize thousands of Haitians and Cubans risked their lives to come to the US to find freedom and the untold number of those that didn't make it, who died trying, it just numbs you. And now to see the horror there is almost too much to take. I don't know how they can go on day after day. And how we can ignore their situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or