Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 11:43 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,512 times

Advertisements

Sad to think that 140 Haitians will ruin our city, when it was our own big home grown bank (BofA) that was part of the demise of the nation's economy. Too bad it was "too big to fail".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 11:48 AM

462 posts, read 1,843,115 times
I have no problem with us sending aid for rescue and recovery but if you think these people who are coming here are just having a lay over than I guess we shall see when the time comes for them to move on.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-29-2010 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: The rest of your discussion belongs in the national Politics forum.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
moderator note:
Im turning this thread over to another moderator since I cant be bias on this issue.
We havent had a thread like this in a month. I love Hot Topics.
We need Rosie O'Donnell & Elisabeth Hasselbeck

Old 01-29-2010, 11:53 AM

462 posts, read 1,843,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
moderator note:
Im turning this thread over to another moderator since I cant be bias on this issue.
HeHe, I have not been on in a while and was just popping on to see what if anything new was going on around town.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:57 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
moderator note:
Much obliged Sunny. We need something else to discuss besides the winter storm, eh?

Old 01-29-2010, 12:06 PM

I have no problem using my tax dollars to help the Haitian people. They have nothing left. The earthquake is an act of nature, they didn't bring it upon themselves. The earthquake in Haiti is not the Haitians fault. It is our duty and moral obligation, as the main power in the Western Hemisphere, to help those in need.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-29-2010 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: The rest of your comments belong in the Politics forum -- thanks.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:52 PM

509 posts, read 1,802,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
I have no problem using my tax dollars to help the Haitian people. They have nothing left. The earthquake is an act of nature, they didn't bring it upon themselves. The earthquake in Haiti is not the Haitians fault. It is our duty and moral obligation, as the main power in the Western Hemisphere, to help those in need.

I agree, absolutely, 100% with CLTKing's comment.

Show some compassion, people. People lost wives, husbands, children, not to mention what crumbling infrastructure they had. And, if you look back at US-Haiti relations, we've done enough to Moderator cut: language that country up; I think we can stand to offer them a hand up when it's so desperately needed.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-29-2010 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text/edited for language

Old 01-29-2010, 01:10 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
I too am shocked at the negative reactions of the posters here. I donated to the relief funds immediately, as I do for every foreign or domestic disaster. I don't mind if $10 more of my money will go to help out a fellow human being in need, no matter why they are in that situation.

I think it is our duty not only because we are citizens of a free and powerful country, but because we are human beings with plenty to give. There is not a country in the world that doesn't have problems, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't help others when it is needed. Shame on all of you for thinking otherwise.

Thomas Jefferson said: "The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."

Old 01-29-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I too am shocked at the negative reactions of the posters here. I donated to the relief funds immediately, as I do for every foreign or domestic disaster. I don't mind if $10 more of my money will go to help out a fellow human being in need, no matter why they are in that situation.

I think it is our duty not only because we are citizens of a free and powerful country, but because we are human beings with plenty to give. There is not a country in the world that doesn't have problems, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't help others when it is needed. Shame on all of you for thinking otherwise.

Thomas Jefferson said: "The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
We should learn from the Greeks and Turks, probably two nationalities with the most hate for each other. Yet, in 1999, Turkey experience a 7.4 earthquake that killed close to 20,000 people, and Greece was the first foreign country to pledge support. A few weeks later, a different earquake hit Greece, and Turkish help was the first one to arrive. If the Greeks and Turks can put their differences aside, we can put our ignorance and selfishness on hold for a while, and extend a hand to the Haitian people. We never know if next time we will be the ones needing help.

Last edited by CLTKing; 01-29-2010 at 01:50 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 01:42 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
My understanding is that this is not a matter of Charlotte or any other city in the US randomly opening its borders for throngs of refugees to come in. These are people who were living in Haiti but are either really US citizens or other country citizens and they are using Charlotte and other US cities as a half-way point to somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte