U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 11:38 AM

348 posts, read 1,246,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I bought a gallon of milk yesterday but um I had cornbread & milk last night
and Nestle Quik this morning. so I need another gallon lol.

Aldi was packed

Food Kitty had empty bread shelves but plenty of bread
Milk is becoming a 1st come basis
OMG too funny!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 12:22 PM

319 posts, read 501,172 times
one little winter weather warning and people act like it's going to be The Day After Tomorrow.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:35 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,578,490 times
when is this mess supposed to start anyway...
it seems to keep changing?

Old 01-29-2010, 12:42 PM

539 posts, read 1,310,853 times
To heck with milk and bread, I got my beer and chips!

Old 01-29-2010, 12:43 PM

3,356 posts, read 8,862,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car421 View Post
To heck with milk and bread, I got my beer and chips!

Hope you got enough for everybody

Old 01-29-2010, 01:05 PM

104 posts, read 154,035 times
So we've lived here over a year now and we're still fascinated by the whole bread/milk/run on the grocery store phenomenon. My wife even joined in on the fun last night (Thursday) and actually bought both bread and milk just to say she had participated in the event (we had to go shopping regardless). It's almost like it's contagious.

I mean, it snows in other places of the country and there is no mass run on the grocery store. You'd think we were preparing for a bird flu outbreak or something...months of survival supplies.. etc. Do people really not have enough food to survive 1-2 days? I imagine most people could stand to lose the weight anyhow

Is this a Charlotte phenomenon or does it exist in other areas too?

Old 01-29-2010, 01:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,465,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackley View Post
So we've lived here over a year now and we're still fascinated by the whole bread/milk/run on the grocery store phenomenon.

I mean, it snows in other places of the country and there is no mass run on the grocery store. You'd think we were preparing for a bird flu outbreak or something...months of survival supplies.. etc. Do people really not have enough food to survive 1-2 days? I imagine most people could stand to lose the weight anyhow

I seen it happen in the triad

Old 01-29-2010, 01:14 PM

169 posts, read 411,606 times
Quote:
So we've lived here over a year now and we're still fascinated by the whole bread/milk/run on the grocery store phenomenon. My wife even joined in on the fun last night (Thursday) and actually bought both bread and milk just to say she had participated in the event (we had to go shopping regardless). It's almost like it's contagious.

That's the way it was when we lived in Maryland, just west of Baltimore. The grocery stores were wwwwaaaayyy more crowded a day or two before a storm than I found them to be here yesterday and today.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:18 PM

446 posts, read 713,510 times
Quote:

I grew up in Atlanta and occasionally it was worthwhile to get your supply of Milk, bread, toilet paper, etc...and dinner to cook on the grill. I survived several ice storms there that were really bad. When it gets bad in this corner of the country it gets BAD. We don't have the road crews that say, the NE has, so our roads tend to get bad. We have tons of trees here so they can break from ice and the power goes out.

The way I look at it, it's better safe than sorry. I have kids here so I want to be prepared and not have to go out. I CAN drive in the snow as I lived in Minneapolis for 13 months. Talk about a CRASH course in driving in the snow!

I had GA plates on my car right after we'd moved there. I was freaking TERRIFIED to drive in a foot of snow. I had a 5 speed and kept it in 2nd gear going down the interstate with people riding my butt and honking as they passed me! They were laughing at me too! Can't say I blamed them! LOL

As a general rule, people in the south don't know how to drive in the snow...and no matter who says they can, NOBODY can drive in ice all that well. Not without the right tires, etc...and we just don't go out and buy the right tires here because they cost too much for a couple of POSSIBLE events in the winter.

Sorry for the ramble, but after living all but 13 months of my 45 year old life in the South I pretty much know what to expect.

I just hope it's not as bad as they're predicting. My son is in Boone at App State and I'm worried silly about him. They've had more than their share of winter weather up there.

Oh, back to the question you asked. Even in Minneapolis they flock to the stores just to be prepared. Not like here, no, but they do hit the stores if a MAJOR event has been forecast.

Last edited by sandyrn0224; 01-29-2010 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 01-29-2010, 01:18 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,874,320 times
I was just at Trader Joes on the way from preschool b/c yesterday I ran out of time to get the sliced chicken I love there. It was a madhouse! You guys weren't kidding about the grocery run. Did not notice the milk supply b/c i did not need any. Waited in long lines to check out. The day has an urgency feel to it, similar to pre-hurricane conditions in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte