U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:05 AM

291 posts, read 1,023,671 times

Advertisements

Whether live or DJ - are various genres of music represented in Charlotte's music scene? One of the things my husband and I enjoy about where we live now is the abundance of different bars/clubs/lounges or outdoor spaces in the summer that play various types of music: jazz, live bands at lounges playing 80s, pop, etc., reggae bands, clubs playing dance music, etc. Does Charlotte offer a good variety of these and other types of music scenes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 09:00 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,428,813 times
Yes Charlotte offers a great variety.

There are music festivals from rock, jazz, blue, etc.
There are tons of places to go for live music: Amos's, Double Door, Madisons, Jazz Cafe, Blue, Visualite, Pops in the Park (Charlotte Symphony), Concert Series with all genres in Birkdale, town of Davidson, etc.
Links:
https://www.visulite.com/xhtml/dspUpcomingEvents.cfm
AMOSSOUTHEND.COM - Charlotte, NC - 704-377-6874
Madisons Bar and Lounge in Charlotte
Double Door Inn
Birkdale Village Events (!web calendar hosted by localendar.com)
Summer Pops (http://www.charlottesymphony.org/summer.htm - broken link)
The Jazz Cafe N.C. >> Great Food >> Great Sounds

Old 05-27-2007, 05:11 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,641,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Yes Charlotte offers a great variety.

There are music festivals from rock, jazz, blue, etc.
There are tons of places to go for live music: Amos's, Double Door, Madisons, Jazz Cafe, Blue, Visualite, Pops in the Park (Charlotte Symphony), Concert Series with all genres in Birkdale, town of Davidson, etc.
Links:
https://www.visulite.com/xhtml/dspUpcomingEvents.cfm
AMOSSOUTHEND.COM - Charlotte, NC - 704-377-6874
Madisons Bar and Lounge in Charlotte
Double Door Inn
Birkdale Village Events (!web calendar hosted by localendar.com)
Summer Pops (http://www.charlottesymphony.org/summer.htm - broken link)
The Jazz Cafe N.C. >> Great Food >> Great Sounds

We went to the Cork Screw Friday night with friends and they had live music, they were good but it was too loud for that place. I was trying to have some wine and a converstion and I had to scream over them.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:10 PM

95 posts, read 78,406 times
Charlotte doesn't have much nightlife but that isn't why people move there anyway. Check out Creative Loafing if you want to know what's going on.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Charlotte doesn't have much nightlife but that isn't why people move there anyway. Check out Creative Loafing if you want to know what's going on.
That's funny - there seems to be a lot of nightlife options...

Charlotte Nightlife - CarolinaNightlife.com Presented By Miller Lite (http://carolinanightlife.com/charlotte/ - broken link)

Old 05-27-2007, 07:59 PM

95 posts, read 78,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHBR702 View Post
That's funny - there seems to be a lot of nightlife options...

Charlotte Nightlife - CarolinaNightlife.com Presented By Miller Lite (http://carolinanightlife.com/charlotte/ - broken link)

I guess that it depends on what you consider nightlife but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who considers CLT a trend setting city.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:04 PM

3,428 posts, read 9,250,583 times
If you like a wide variety of live music, you might want to attend one of TheTosco Music Party events:

Tosco Music Party

Some of the live shows in the last year or so:

- Pat Travers
- Zakk Wylde
- Kenny Wayne Shepard
- Johhny Winter
- Steven Stills
- Blues Traveler
- Walter Trout
- Tab Benoit
- Susan Tedeschi
- Joe Bonamassa (whoa - awesome show!)
- Gov't Mule
- Gary Hoey
- Dickey Betts & Great Southern
- Yngwie Malmsteen (another awesome show!)
- Roomful of Blues and Johnny A
- Robert Fripp
- Tommy Emmanuel
- Sonny Landreth
- Dixie Dregs and Steve Morse Band
- G3

Old 05-27-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I guess that it depends on what you consider nightlife but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who considers CLT a trend setting city.
Not necessarily looking for "trendsetting". I'm no longer much into the "seen and be seen" thing anymore, just wanting to know if there are options if you just want to go have a cocktail and listen to some music or just get out for a night in a nice, upscale, bar/lounge atmosphere. From what I've been able to learn online it seems like Charlotte has at least that much in the way of nightlife.

Any 30-somethings have any comments?

Old 05-27-2007, 09:14 PM

Oh, also are there any restaurants or bars that have outdoor/patio seating during the spring/summer months?

Old 05-27-2007, 10:56 PM

113 posts, read 420,025 times
Nah all of the above is wrong, ha-ha, no disrespect folks, a 30-something does have a comment.
for the 80th misic: Tempo and Breakfast Club
best hip-hop club: NV on lake Norman if you don't mind the fake Dj
(Dont' even try to go to the Forum, spare yourself your descency)
I'll give you some more hip hop but with a disclaimer.
Eden is best for Euro trance and such, if that is what you like, sometimes Scorpio and Velocity have some Major events...well because they are large, ok, they can accomodate a crowd for Tiesto, other than that they are known as gay clubs... which is not true anymore since they shut down Mythos and that crowd had to go somewhere, and other changes,
Best country club is Coyote Joe's.
Amos has plenty of live music, kind of modern rock of wich I know the least but there's been some celebrities play there.
In NoDa Neighborhood Theater has some serios reggie and funk legends to play, it is a little on the hippy side if you ask me, but, well, it depends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte