U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:45 AM

58 posts, read 106,792 times

Advertisements

It was unintended that we brought a snow shovel with us from Minnesota, meant to leave it with one of the kids. But it has come in handy twice in the year we have lived here. "Up North" they call this kind of snow (before it froze solid) Heart Attack snow. So we have decided to let nature take care of itself, it will all melt shortly. And don't mind having to step out of the rat race for awhile waiting for it to melt. If you need to be worried about anything make sure you have enough windshield wash in your car if you are driving the freeways, pretty sloppy! A little sunshine, a little salt, and a pair of boots with good footing and your good!

Old 01-31-2010, 12:01 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,430,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Don't know why this is something that people have to seriously think about.....it only makes sense.
Then you are welcome to pay for it. I don't need my property taxes to go up again for a once or twice a year event. A no brainer I would've thought.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:12 PM

4,534 posts, read 7,292,455 times
Quote:
I AM a city girl...never lived in the suburbs, have no concept of what they do there. They DID continuously plow/salt the roads and people were expected to do the same with their walkways. Side streets were also handled.

Shutting down a city for a couple of days would be unheard of.
Really, then how about 6 days 'cos they were out of money, maybe they spent too much of plowing roads Sorry, this is just for a laugh. This is not comparing apples to apples, neither is it when posters compare the south to other states' handling of snow.
Chicago mayor to shut down government for six days | Reuters

Old 01-31-2010, 12:38 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,543,090 times
As a former upstate New Yorker, Connectictut resident and native Minnesotan, I say we're doing just fine with the snow. I've lived in Charlotte 35+ year and only once - the bad ice storm in 2002 (?) - was my life really challenged. Eight days without electricity was a bit much. But the rest of the one-day events such as we usually have are not terribly threatening unless you have a medical emergency; I would imagine that emergency vehicles could handle that event.

I think it would be crazy to spend a lot of money on expensive snow/ice removal equipment for the once-in-a-decade or less that we really need it.

Citizens in the north also take it as their responsibility to have snow tires or chains. For those folks who absoutely need to take to the road this is a much more financially appropriate solution.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:53 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,271,901 times
Quote:
Native: thank you for recognizing that I am a MIDWESTERNER. Few people understand that and lump me with the New Yorkers.

Anyone who does that is just being highly complimentary.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,465,585 times
do you guys remember

N.C. Paramedic Struck, Loses Legs at Accident Scene

Old 01-31-2010, 01:56 PM

2,341 posts, read 4,044,893 times
We don't have snow (well maybe every 10 years) where I'm from, but I would expect that property owners would take the necessary steps to insure public safety. So if you own or manage an apartment building, you would salt or clear the parking lot. If you own or manage a grocery store or mall, you would salt or clear the entry way. If you owned or managed an office building, you would clear the stairs. As a renter, I wouldn't expect that I should buy ice clearing equipment or material and take care of this maintenance issue because then I might be opening myself up to a liability.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-01-2010 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: Deleted comments that are no longer applicable

Old 01-31-2010, 02:01 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,032,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
We don't have snow (well maybe every 10 years) where I'm from,
And we have it on avg once per year.
Sure, some years 2-3x, then several years in a row not at all.
Should all property owners buy and maintain such equipment and maintain it for the off years?

There is a reason why 'cost of living' is cheaper here.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-01-2010 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 01-31-2010, 02:59 PM

2,341 posts, read 4,044,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
And we have it on avg once per year.
Sure, some years 2-3x, then several years in a row not at all.
Should all property owners buy and maintain such equipment and maintain it for the off years?

There is a reason why 'cost of living' is cheaper here.
I don't see it as a cost of living issue. I see it as a safety issue. If I owned a commercial property or a rental property, I'd pay the expense to buy a few bags of salt or whatever it is that gets sprinkled on the ground. We're not talking 2 and 3 feet of snow. We're talking 4 or 5 inches. It's not that big of a deal.

I own a rental property and I do what I need to do to maintain it. It's a cost of doing business. The best thing about that for me is that it is a business expense that I deduct when I do my taxes. If you own a building, invest in the sprinklely stuff, make your tennants happy and deduct the expenses at the end of the year just like you would for anything else.

Just my ten cents. :-)

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-01-2010 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: Deleted references to deleted comments

Old 01-31-2010, 03:53 PM

154 posts, read 287,539 times
Thank you Baybrook! At least someone has some sense around here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte