U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:48 AM

33 posts, read 68,969 times

Advertisements

I hear that there are a lot of food items that us NJ folks take for granted that are not available in NC. Pork Roll, "sliders", Tastykakes, Drakes, Jersey Tomatoes, for example. Are there any former NJ people who now live in NC (or SC) who can tell me what I won't be seeing in you local Food Lion that I'm used to finding on the shelves of my local Shop-Rite? We're looking to move and are just curious. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 11:47 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,024,883 times
Seems you wont find 'Italian Hot Dogs'.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:03 PM

21,814 posts, read 27,073,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohnnie View Post
I hear that there are a lot of food items that us NJ folks take for granted that are not available in NC. Pork Roll, "sliders", Tastykakes, Drakes, Jersey Tomatoes, for example. Are there any former NJ people who now live in NC (or SC) who can tell me what I won't be seeing in you local Food Lion that I'm used to finding on the shelves of my local Shop-Rite? We're looking to move and are just curious. thanks
Some places carry Tastykakes. If you look, you can find Herr's potato chips.

Why would you expect to find Jersey tomatoes? Just buy the local NC tomatoes. They are grown in clay just like most of the Jersey tomatoes. I grew tomatoes in my back yard last year. The taste is nearly identical.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:09 PM

467 posts, read 1,284,043 times
Quote:
I've seen tastykakes from time to time. Tomates are all the same lol. Food Lion sucks, go to Harris Teeter.

The things I miss from NJ are:
1) WAWA
2) Having someone pump my gas

That is all.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:10 PM

7,180 posts, read 11,181,765 times
You can buy Taylor pork roll in the small boxes at some of the grocery stores here OR in the 5 lb (I think) sack at BJ's.

I have to say you'll never get a hard roll or sub roll here like they had in NJ, but that's a small trade-off for some of the other things we've experienced here in the area.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
You can buy Taylor pork roll in the small boxes at some of the grocery stores here OR in the 5 lb (I think) sack at BJ's.

I have to say you'll never get a hard roll or sub roll here like they had in NJ, but that's a small trade-off for some of the other things we've experienced here in the area.
Actually, my Ingles sells Vierra rolls (from the North Jersey bakery.) I introduced some locals to them & they love them. I have gotten good bread at Ingles & Lowes Foods. Some is imported from NJ, so it's a bit pricey, but some does not have a location of origin & is just fine & a bit cheaper.

There are several threads on here concerning people's searches for grocery items. The OP should right-click in search & them search for grocery in the Charlotte board.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:27 PM

57 posts, read 126,235 times
No Drakes and no NJ tomatos or corn. Outsid eof that, you can find what you need

Old 01-31-2010, 12:28 PM

33 posts, read 68,969 times
Does your BJs have Taylor brand? Ours in NJ only has Trenton brand. NOT the same!!! I would love to have access to Taylor brand Pork Roll (Taylor Ham) at BJ's!

Regarding hard rolls, I'm already spoiled because I live in the Asbury Park area where Kneips hard rolls were king until they went out of business. Now other place sell what they claim to be Kneips recipe, but it just isn't the same.

When we visited Bolivia NC we REALLY missed WaWa when we saw a convenience store called "Milk and Bait" or something like that! LOL Gotta love that!

Old 01-31-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Does your BJs have Taylor brand? Ours in NJ only has Trenton brand. NOT the same!!! I would love to have access to Taylor brand Pork Roll (Taylor Ham) at BJ's!

Regarding hard rolls, I'm already spoiled because I live in the Asbury Park area where Kneips hard rolls were king until they went out of business. Now other place sell what they claim to be Kneips recipe, but it just isn't the same.

When we visited Bolivia NC we REALLY missed WaWa when we saw a convenience store called "Milk and Bait" or something like that! LOL Gotta love that!
Like I said, I buy the Vierra rolls at Ingles. but the problem is that the nearest Ingles to Charlotte, as of now, are 2 supermarkets, one in Dallas, in Gaston county, & one in Kings Mountain, in Cleveland County, & one grocery store in Bessemer City, in Gaston County.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:11 PM

152 posts, read 270,492 times
The only things I miss are full service pumps...NO REDPACK Crushed tomatoes but Hunts works fine...WEGMANS oh I miss Wegmans!!!No Taylor ham...and knishes...no knishes...other than that everything is great!!!Everything is cheaper everyone is nicer and when you are in a store and need help people actually help you!!!I moved from NNJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or