U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 02:10 PM

3 posts, read 4,103 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone....

My husband and I are seriously considering relocating to the Mooresville area from Miami, Florida. We have wanted to make this move for several years now. We have not moved sooner because our 4 year old has Cerebral Palsy. Although the services available here in Miami are awful, there are no surprises.

We presently have 2 children (ages 4 and 5) and are expecting our third child early this summer. Both of children will be starting Kindergarten in the 2010/2011 school year. We would love for them both to attend the same school, but different classrooms.

I was hoping that other parents in the Mooresville area, with children with Special Needs, would be able to give me some suggestions and/or guidance about:

- what area(s) of Mooresville would you suggest.

- what school(s) in the area are most Special Needs friendly. In Miami, that is a SERIOUS issue. Hopefully, you don't have the same problem.

- comments on the school system and the level of services they provide, are they difficult to deal with in regards to IEP and getting services, do they have good ESE programs?

- the private therapy services in the area. Our daughter receives PT/OT, Speech, Hippotherapy, Massage and Streching. We also would like her to have access to Aquatic therapy.

- support groups

- any governmental assistance programs available, that are not based upon income and assets

Any other suggestions, comments are GREATLY GREATLY appreciated.

Looking forward to reading the comments.

Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 07:42 AM

1,865 posts, read 4,785,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcia213 View Post
Hi everyone....

My husband and I are seriously considering relocating to the Mooresville area from Miami, Florida. We have wanted to make this move for several years now. We have not moved sooner because our 4 year old has Cerebral Palsy. Although the services available here in Miami are awful, there are no surprises.

We presently have 2 children (ages 4 and 5) and are expecting our third child early this summer. Both of children will be starting Kindergarten in the 2010/2011 school year. We would love for them both to attend the same school, but different classrooms.

I was hoping that other parents in the Mooresville area, with children with Special Needs, would be able to give me some suggestions and/or guidance about:

- what area(s) of Mooresville would you suggest.

- what school(s) in the area are most Special Needs friendly. In Miami, that is a SERIOUS issue. Hopefully, you don't have the same problem.

- comments on the school system and the level of services they provide, are they difficult to deal with in regards to IEP and getting services, do they have good ESE programs?

- the private therapy services in the area. Our daughter receives PT/OT, Speech, Hippotherapy, Massage and Streching. We also would like her to have access to Aquatic therapy.

- support groups

- any governmental assistance programs available, that are not based upon income and assets

Any other suggestions, comments are GREATLY GREATLY appreciated.

Looking forward to reading the comments.

Michelle
There is another "Mommy-Based" forum in Lake Norman with a Special Needs section. They have lots of info there & might be able to answer some questions for you. They also hold group play dates, monthly meet-ups, special outings, etc... Great place to network especially if you have young kids. You should check out Lake Norman Mommies.

Good Luck!

Old 02-02-2010, 10:30 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,052,657 times
I was hoping you would get more responses, so am bumping this up in hopes others will see your request.

I would caution you to carefully check out what is available here to help with your child's needs. I would contact all state agencies til I felt totally satisfied that I knew what I would qualify for. There may be waiting periods, too (not sure about this).

We had have other posters relay that the support here (in schools and with healthcare, in general) have been less than other states where they moved from. Since I have never researched this for myself, I can't advise how services here stack up against other states (or Florida, in particular). But I do know that I have heard this over the years from other mothers - and then again on this forum (that NC doesn't offer a lot). Now, it could be most folks I heard this from came from states with very robust services and so any other state would come up short when compared, but I just thought I should mention this since it would truly be awful to come here and then find out you don't qualify, or that you have to live here a year b/f you qualify, etc.

Good luck! The Mooresville area is a beautiful part of this region.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:39 AM

5 posts, read 7,066 times
I am trying to look up for lake norman mommies and not being able to find anything, can you please help by sharing the link.
thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
There is another "Mommy-Based" forum in Lake Norman with a Special Needs section. They have lots of info there & might be able to answer some questions for you. They also hold group play dates, monthly meet-ups, special outings, etc... Great place to network especially if you have young kids. You should check out Lake Norman Mommies.

Good Luck!

Old 02-11-2010, 06:46 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,052,657 times
LakeNormanMommies.com -- A Mommies Network Community

Old 02-11-2010, 12:56 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,443,150 times
Thanks for bumping this Ani, as I didn't see the initial posting.

I love NC, thrilled to be here, but overall, NC provides a meager amount of services to the developmentally disabled population. And, with recent budget cuts, what little was available has all but disappeared for many.

Having said that, these are the links the OP would be interested in, in addition to Lake Norman Mommies, which I imagine has some resourceful Moms if they have a Special Needs subset.

The Arc of NC
The Arc of North Carolina
110 Stockton Street
Statesville, NC 28677-5253
(704) 883-8084

Ask for Mary Montgomery @
Circle School
302 West Broad Street
Statesville, NC 28677-5260
(704) 872-8579

Lifespan serves people with Developmental Disabilities in North Carolina

And if you move to Union County as opposed to Iredell County, I can probably be more helpful.

Good luck to you and your family!

Sincerely,

Sara

Lifespan serves people with Developmental Disabilities in North Carolina

Old 02-11-2010, 03:01 PM

1,865 posts, read 4,785,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
...Having said that, these are the links the OP would be interested in, in addition to Lake Norman Mommies, which I imagine has some resourceful Moms if they have a Special Needs subset...
LKNM's does have a "Children with Special Needs" sub-group. Once she has joined LKNM's, she can sign up for access to any of the sub-groups. Like here, lots of good info there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or