Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:25 AM

8 posts, read 18,319 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about changing my career. I am working in financial industry for almost 15 years. I am thinking about computer field. Can anyone give any advice how to start? I am thinking about taking some course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 10:09 AM

769 posts, read 2,219,284 times
That's pretty broad - have you done any research on this? You might just want to start with a general search, like "computer classes" on Google and see what comes up, and which of those interest you.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:01 PM

616 posts, read 1,750,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight72 View Post
I am thinking about changing my career. I am working in financial industry for almost 15 years. I am thinking about computer field. Can anyone give any advice how to start? I am thinking about taking some course.
You may want to talk with various professionals, academic advisors at community colleges, and look at job ads to get ideas about 1) what the various special fields are 2) what the future looks like for various fields 3) what's old and what's up and coming. "Computers" could mean you are interested in anything from database administration to hardware repair to web development, and so on.

Another thing to watch out for - taking classes in soon to be or already outmoded technology or programming.

Best wishes to you!

Old 04-04-2009, 06:41 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Unfortunately, I would say to you that you shouldn't waste your time. If you are in the financial industry then I am sure that you are aware that a VERY LARGE amount of IT jobs are off shored and out sourced. So, why choose to gain education in a profession that is dwindling?

However, I will tell you that in our home, we pray each day that corporations will bring these jobs back state side and do what is right as my DH is in IT.

I wish you luck in whatever path you choose.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:52 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
What exactly is 'computer traning'.

If you can't spell it, then it might not be the best choice for you...

Old 04-04-2009, 07:58 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
What exactly is 'computer traning'.

If you can't spell it, then it might not be the best choice for you...
I work in Tech Support for a large company have found that spelling is not a skill that is highly valued in the Tech Support organization. Nor grammar, business writing, hygenie, having a personality... I could go on all day long.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:15 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I work in Tech Support for a large company have found that spelling is not a skill that is highly valued in the Tech Support organization. Nor grammar, business writing, hygenie, having a personality... I could go on all day long.
Man, you guys sound awesome.

Somewhat j/k, but you said it...

Old 04-05-2009, 06:48 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Man, you guys sound awesome.

Somewhat j/k, but you said it...
Huh, hygenie. Spell check makes one lazy.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:21 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post

these are products of today's colleges and institutions of higher learning, they should be so proud.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:31 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
I would have to agree with what others have said.

I'm in IT and the job outlook for our industry isn't exactly rosey, either. Your best bet would be to find some technology-centric field that leverages whatever your financial background is, as well.

Since you've established a career (15 years) in your field already, I'm going to assume you woulnd't be interested in taking a $25K/yr "foot in the door" type position in the IT field - and that is very likely what you'd be looking at with 0 technology work experience. What would make you more attractive than the 22 yr old that just graduated from college with a 4 year degree in IT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte