U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-31-2010, 08:05 PM

17 posts, read 48,782 times
Question Selling house - notice required for showings

We've had our house on the market for a while, we're getting ready to renew the listing and considering requiring something like 'day before' notice for showings on workdays. Same day notice would still be fine for weekends, but we're getting really tired of trying to get the house ready for showing each day just because someone might want to see it while we are at work.
I leave for work before anyone else wakes up, and its up to my wife to get a 2 year old, 5 year old, and herself ready before taking them to preschool and herself to work. This also leaves it up to her to make all of the beds and leave the house the way she wants it to look for potential buyers.
With the exception of new construction or open houses where an agent is on duty, I've never looked at a house as a buyer without making an appointment ahead of time.
Any thoughts on the idea of prohibiting weekday showings without prior day's notice?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 08:08 PM

44,326 posts, read 54,810,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob28173 View Post
We've had our house on the market for a while, we're getting ready to renew the listing and considering requiring something like 'day before' notice for showings on workdays. Same day notice would still be fine for weekends, but we're getting really tired of trying to get the house ready for showing each day just because someone might want to see it while we are at work.
I leave for work before anyone else wakes up, and its up to my wife to get a 2 year old, 5 year old, and herself ready before taking them to preschool and herself to work. This also leaves it up to her to make all of the beds and leave the house the way she wants it to look for potential buyers.
With the exception of new construction or open houses where an agent is on duty, I've never looked at a house as a buyer without making an appointment ahead of time.
Any thoughts on the idea of prohibiting weekday showings without prior day's notice?
You are of course free to shoot yourself in the foot and do this is you want, but I sure wouldn't recommend it in THIS market.

You have to understand, right now in this buyers market buyers have TONS of options to look at. If you make it harder to get your home seen then many of them will just bypass your home and go on to the next thing. Sorry, but I think that is just a bad plan.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:17 PM

35,346 posts, read 42,242,394 times
You can put any sort of restriction on your listing contract that you wish to put . . . but it is only going to guarantee that the majority of folks who may have wanted to see your house will just say "next" and skip yours.

This is a very bad strategy in a buyer's market.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:26 PM

4,010 posts, read 5,776,184 times
This just means agents are not going to show your house. Your choice I guess, but I can't imagine why would want to limit access to potential clients. The quick answer to this problem is to drop the price until the place does sell fast. If it hasn't sold in 3 months you have it priced too high.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:26 PM

64 posts, read 70,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You can put any sort of restriction on your listing contract that you wish to put . . . but it is only going to guarantee that the majority of folks who may have wanted to see your house will just say "next" and skip yours.

This is a very bad strategy in a buyer's market.
agreed. Not a good decision in this market.

OP I understand your irritation but, its just not a good idea.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:31 PM

3,117 posts, read 3,664,198 times
I don't think it's a good option in any market. We were looking at houses in Baxter a few years ago and one that we tried to see said it wasn't a good time b/c her kid was grumpy or something. We didn't care to try again, and she ended up pulling her house off the market after it didn't sell.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:35 PM

1,850 posts, read 4,024,726 times
I agree, in this market don't do it...many times I get a call in the morning to see a house, and then add a few others. If the showing service tells me there is a showing restriction I will mention this to my clients. Sometimes we will go back out but sometimes not. Also, sometimes we are just driving by and then they want to see the home.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 PM

1,579 posts, read 1,796,714 times
Sold my last house to a someone whose agent called from in front of my house and wanted to know if it was o.k. to show. I had a two year old in a high chair - house was a mess but I said to go ahead and show - just ignore me, the kid, the dog and the mess.... Don't worry so much about having everything perfect and NEVER turn down a showing if you want to sell your home!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:00 PM

8,365 posts, read 10,011,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob28173 View Post
If your house is on the market for awhile then your priced too high or something else is wrong (maybe you don't HAVE to sell and your looking for a sucker buyer who will overpay....I don't know...)

Anyway, you can do what you want but why don't you straigten up the house before you goto bed to take some of the load off your wife? If its looking really good the night before, I'm sure your wife can keep your kids under control and straighten up before she leaves w/the kids.....we did it. Yes its a pain in the arse but you have to work together.....

Old 02-01-2010, 04:26 AM

972 posts, read 1,244,602 times
It is so hard to sell with young kids living in the house. We have done it twice. The last time, my husband had already moved to the new city to start his job. So, I really feel your pain.

Having worked with many different agents when we move, I was surprised at their unwillingness to call to make appointments the day before. To me, it is common curtesty to give as much notice as possible, but only one agent out of 5 was willing to do that. Not sure why really, noone ever gave me a good answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte