U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:33 AM

1,455 posts, read 3,643,301 times

Advertisements

The management at my apartment complex has done pretty much nothing in the way of ice/snow removal. This morning I asked them if the plan was just "wait for it to melt", and she said, "yes, pretty much right now it's at your own risk". Aren't they liable if someone slips and falls? And sooner or later, someone will --- there is a lot of slick slick ice all around the complex. Do they have any legal responsibility to clear the sidewalks?

I'll post some pictures below so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about, athough I'm sure you have a pretty good idea already:

This is the corridor on the ground floor, at the top of the steps:

The steps:

Closer up:

The sidewalk in front of my building:

Old 02-01-2010, 07:51 AM

1,670 posts, read 5,798,349 times
Timm, there was a long discussion on this all weekend that is now lock. You could still view it: the development doesn't plow.

Like a good neighbor, I took care of the situation in front of my entrance. I swept a path of snow, cleared the steps and me and my neighbors door. The complexes here simply do not clear snow--it is a sit and let it melt situation.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:55 AM

Aw, crap. It's right there on the first page still. I fail.

Nothing to see here folks....move along.... show's over...

(Sorry)

Old 02-01-2010, 08:58 AM

3,115 posts, read 6,129,494 times
I have a friend who is a teacher in Ohio. Last winter he slipped and fell on the ice on the way to his car after work and broke his arm. The school paid for nothing. If they aren't liable, I am not sure your apartment complex is either.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:15 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,642,987 times
My complex didn't clear anything either. I've never lived in one that did. When I lived in the University area the staff put salt on the steps and sidewalks before the storm (2002) but didn't clear anything afterwards.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:19 AM

Yeah, I've read that other thread now. I guess I'm just used to the insta-snow removal systems up north. But apparently that ain't how they roll down here. So be it. When in Rome....

So I chipped away the ice on the steps with a hammer, and walked my boo to her car so she'd have a chance of getting to it in one piece. I can adjust.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:44 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,476,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
Yeah, I've read that other thread now. I guess I'm just used to the insta-snow removal systems up north. But apparently that ain't how they roll down here. So be it. When in Rome....

So I chipped away the ice on the steps with a hammer, and walked my boo to her car so she'd have a chance of getting to it in one piece. I can adjust.
Might be prudent to find someone to anonymously email this link to the management folks. Even if they don't want to, just the exposure might be enough for them to do a little something.

Just a thought.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:45 AM

72 posts, read 188,333 times
At least your thread had pictures to look at!

Old 02-01-2010, 11:26 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post

Timm, you have just qualified as an honorary Southerner, lol. Commendations to you, sir. Love your attitude and commitment to "adjust." You are on your way to becoming a first generation 100% bonafide North Carolinian!!! (sorry the induction was such a pain, tho).

Other ideas to help you in the future . . . a snow shovel isn't that bad of an idea to keep around, but I have also attacked ice (when it started melting) with a metal dust pan!!!

Kitty litter helps with traction. So if you have a cat . . . and if you don't . . . it is cheap and so even when I didn't have a cat, I always kept some in my apartment back decades ago when I was single and had to deal with getting to my car safely.

Good luck and let's hope the sun gets rid of the worst of this today.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:20 PM

79 posts, read 198,335 times
I do not think there is any such law... been here almost 60 years and have never heard of one... you may correct me if there is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte