U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 04:10 PM

972 posts, read 2,139,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan R View Post
Seconded on daylilies -- they do great and don't seem to need a lot of water. I have ordered these online for greater selection and they did great. Oakes Daylilies*Welcome to Oakes Daylilies (http://www.oakesdaylilies.com/supplier/home.php?id=s000 - broken link) Great catalog.

For annuals, vincas and nasturtiums seem to do very well, also without much watering, and have flowers most of the summer.

Tea roses do great here -- had good luck with heirloom ones, did not have to spray last year and bloomed all summer. Knockouts do very well but the one color (very bright pink, almost magenta) is everywhere.
Oh, I bought some Miss Amelias from them for our last house. They are a lot of bang for the buck! Tall, yellow, repeat bloomers. Before we moved, I passed along tons to neighbors, so I think I'll just take a shovel on my next visit back...

It would be great to have Tea roses. I left behind three beautiful old fashion single rose bushes. They were cheap because they had lost their tag and had mildew. But, they pulled through and were amazing after the first year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am very fond of varigated euonymous mixed in with other foundation plants, as they add some sparkle w/ the color variation.

Photo here:

http://images.mooseyscountrygarden.c...gated-leaf.jpg

If you like a more pink/purple/blue type palette, one of my favorites is Loropetalum Chinense:

Plant of the Month (http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/wilson/staff/clauderd/plantofthemonthau.html - broken link)

Also, you may want something more formal or compact. I have grown yew here very well in years past. There are many beautiful varieties of yew that are suitable for this region.

Good luck and have fun!!!
We haven't tried any of those, so I will definitely try them out.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
The Plant Delights catalog is a real trip for gardeners. I agree, however, that it's pretty expensive. Has anyone had any experience with buying by mail? Did the plants arrive in good condition?
No, we lived down the road from them for years. BUT...nothing I ever bought there survived. My best source in Raleigh was the NC State Farmer's market. And, there was a wholesale place called Broadwells (I think) where you could get commercial landscape plants for less than $5. It was a good source for generic hollies, abilias, etc.

OK, I am getting really excited about starting on this house now with all the new suggestions!

Thanks everybody!

Old 02-02-2010, 07:49 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,070,853 times
Salix Flamingo, I found this bush last year at a nursery and am going to add it to my garden this year.

Salix ‘Flamingo’ - A flamingo you will be proud to have in your garden

Another favorite of mine is the Butterfly Bush, which obviously attracts butterflys and also Hummingbirds. Here's the first one I bought and then I added 2 Black Knight Butterfly Bushes in another area.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:23 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,545,614 times
I yoo am a fan of the butterfly bush. A couple of su mmers ago I bought a dwarf and love it - only about four feet tall. I posted a photo of some dwarf butterfly bushes last summer but can't seem to drag them into this thread - I'm obviously photo challenged. If you go to SEARCH here in City-data and enter "Dwarf Butterfly Bush," you should find the photo.

There is a day lily society here in ; they have a show every spring. One of their memebers has a great garden in Gastonia - I think it's called "Home Place Garden." You can buy unusual specimens there.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:35 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,867,626 times
Two plants I'd love to have are Saguaro catci and the palms similar in size to those in southern Cali. I believe the former would survive , but the latter wouldn't. It would be nice , to have a landscaped area in a large backyard with the two as centerpieces. Espically the palm!! Albeit having a tree like that would seriously undermine my desire for anonymity.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:25 AM

Old 02-03-2010, 08:39 AM

I was able to post the photo of the dwarf butterfly bush in the preceeding post.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:42 PM

Knockout roses now come in various rich shades of red and even white.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:55 PM

150 posts, read 642,196 times
Lovely ideas! thanks everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or