Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:26 AM

972 posts, read 2,437,077 times

Advertisements

Its cold outside. We still have snow on the ground. But...

I have to get our landscape plan finished and turned in to our HOA in the next few weeks to have time for the turn around approval. They are actually really lenient - only rules are: stay in our property line, no palm trees and no red mulch.

So, while you are thawing out from the cold, please take a moment to share your favorite plants for the area regardless of light or soil requirements, as we will eventually be doing the entire property.

I am really interested in shade plants that do well with a few hours of morning light for a bed along the back of our house. Also, do Little Gem Magnolias to well here with about 6 hours of light a day?

Thank you for any ideas!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 08:33 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,508,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
Its cold outside. We still have snow on the ground. But...

I have to get our landscape plan finished and turned in to our HOA in the next few weeks to have time for the turn around approval. They are actually really lenient - only rules are: stay in our property line, no palm trees and no red mulch.

So, while you are thawing out from the cold, please take a moment to share your favorite plants for the area regardless of light or soil requirements, as we will eventually be doing the entire property.

I am really interested in shade plants that do well with a few hours of morning light for a bed along the back of our house. Also, do Little Gem Magnolias to well here with about 6 hours of light a day?

Thank you for any ideas!!!
Get some aucuba. I had them in South Jersey & got one for here, last year. Shrubs: Aucuba japonica

Old 02-01-2010, 08:50 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,175,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
I am really interested in shade plants that do well with a few hours of morning light for a bed along the back of our house. ...!
Oh this is perfect for the Hosta and there are hundreds of varieties of them. The nice thing about the hosta, is that it comes back every year.

This is a good place to check out as it is an easy daytrip. http://www.daylilyandhostagardens.com/
Take the opportunity while you are there to visit Greenville's very nice downtown. It's what all cities should strive for.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:53 PM

972 posts, read 2,437,077 times
Thanks for both of the great ideas. I used to haunt Plant Delights for hostas, but they were really expensive there. $20 looks pretty good in comparison for the interesting varieties. The aucuba looks like an interesting addition, too.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:04 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,210,728 times
I am very fond of varigated euonymous mixed in with other foundation plants, as they add some sparkle w/ the color variation.

Photo here:

http://images.mooseyscountrygarden.c...gated-leaf.jpg

If you like a more pink/purple/blue type palette, one of my favorites is Loropetalum Chinense:

Plant of the Month (http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/wilson/staff/clauderd/plantofthemonthau.html - broken link)

Also, you may want something more formal or compact. I have grown yew here very well in years past. There are many beautiful varieties of yew that are suitable for this region.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Old 02-01-2010, 01:45 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,899,315 times
I'm with Ani on the Loropetalum Chinense! It's a gorgeous bush. Ditto on hostas for the shade.

My other favorites are: all varieties of day lilies, Louisiana iris, Japanese iris, fairy rose, clematis, Knockout roses, hydrangeas, shasta daisies, passion flower, yarrow, astillbe, alstroemeria (Peruvian lily), balloon flower (platycoydon), peony, flocks, asiatic lilies. These are all in my sunny garden. Not hard plants to grow in our climate. I'm looking out the window trying to remember what else I have in my beloved garden which I must soon abandon to a new family.

I guess I could add more, but these probably make a good starting list. They are all lovely flowers which have done well for me in the sun in enriched and amended soil.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:25 PM

94 posts, read 250,841 times
We planted 12 Encore Azalea bushes last year in our shadier areas. Along the side of the garage and under the pine trees. They bloom 3 times throughout the year. They did really well. I noticed our neighbor has a couple right out in the direct sun and they are also doing well.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:00 PM

701 posts, read 1,423,383 times
I second the vote for Acuba. Southbound's pictures don't really do them justice. They thrive in the shade, and also do well with moderate sun.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:05 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,899,315 times
The Plant Delights catalog is a real trip for gardeners. I agree, however, that it's pretty expensive. Has anyone had any experience with buying by mail? Did the plants arrive in good condition?

Old 02-02-2010, 03:49 PM

210 posts, read 602,312 times
Seconded on daylilies -- they do great and don't seem to need a lot of water. I have ordered these online for greater selection and they did great. Oakes Daylilies*Welcome to Oakes Daylilies (http://www.oakesdaylilies.com/supplier/home.php?id=s000 - broken link) Great catalog.

For annuals, vincas and nasturtiums seem to do very well, also without much watering, and have flowers most of the summer.

Tea roses do great here -- had good luck with heirloom ones, did not have to spray last year and bloomed all summer. Knockouts do very well but the one color (very bright pink, almost magenta) is everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte