Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 09:29 AM

174 posts, read 477,356 times

Advertisements

I think we have all heard some stories that when Northerners first move down here and it snows....they proceed to get out and shovel only to be playfully made fun of by their Southern neighbors.

"We don't shovel snow here....it will all be melted by tomorrow afternoon"

Generally a true statement.

That being said...why is it when there is the threat of half of a snowflake that these same Southerners who laugh at the concept of shoveling will be the first ones in line at Harris Teeter / Bi-Lo / Food Lion / to deplete the shelves of bread, milk, water when....THE SNOW WILL NOT BE THERE TOMORROW???????

I'd hate to see what happens to the grocery stores when there is a true state of emergency....

Old 02-01-2010, 09:38 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytarheel View Post
I think we have all heard some stories that when Northerners first move down here and it snows....they proceed to get out and shovel only to be playfully made fun of by their Southern neighbors.

"We don't shovel snow here....it will all be melted by tomorrow afternoon"

Generally a true statement.

That being said...why is it when there is the threat of half of a snowflake that these same Southerners who laugh at the concept of shoveling will be the first ones in line at Harris Teeter / Bi-Lo / Food Lion / to deplete the shelves of bread, milk, water when....THE SNOW WILL NOT BE THERE TOMORROW???????

I'd hate to see what happens to the grocery stores when there is a true state of emergency....
The grocery run also happens in the MidAtlantic. You go & buy groceries just in case the worst case scenario happens & you get stuck in the house. The shovelling is after the fact.

I learned a long time ago to make the grocery run. Experience is the best teacher. I joined the natives at my Ingles. I also made no attempt to shovel. It's melting just fine, all by itself.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
A lot of us lived through Hugo, so we'll be alright.

As far as the rush to the grocery store, I don't understand your point.

The 'North' would act/react EXACTLY like the 'South' if you got the same kind of weather. Our winter weather has a considerably higher 'ice factor' than that of the North. We can deal with snow.....but NO ONE can deal with ice.

Moderator cut: flaming

Old 02-01-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The grocery run also happens in the MidAtlantic. You go & buy groceries just in case the worst case scenario happens & you get stuck in the house. The shovelling is after the fact.

I learned a long time ago to make the grocery run. Experience is the best teacher. I joined the natives at my Ingles. I also made no attempt to shovel. It's melting just fine, all by itself.
I think this is a good point. The problem as I see it is really more geographical than anything. I remember the snow storm we had about 10 years ago....it wasn't until the storm was all over us that the forecast was updated and we wound up with like 13". Charlotte is kinda in a 'funky' place and the weather patterns have be perfect for any snow at all.

Less moisture than expected = We all over-reacted.
More moisture than expected = We're snowed in and don't have what we need.

I'm always gonna err on the side of caution just based on my experiences here in the past. Things change quickly here, weather wise.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
part2 coming this weekend

Old 02-01-2010, 09:51 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I think this is a good point. The problem as I see it is really more geographical than anything. I remember the snow storm we had about 10 years ago....it wasn't until the storm was all over us that the forecast was updated and we wound up with like 13". Charlotte is kinda in a 'funky' place and the weather patterns have be perfect for any snow at all.

Less moisture than expected = We all over-reacted.
More moisture than expected = We're snowed in and don't have what we need.

I'm always gonna err on the side of caution just based on my experiences here in the past. Things change quickly here, weather wise.
I couldn't agree more, especially about the geography. The storms here usually leave here & go up the coast to Philly. There is also a high ice factor there, too. You can do what you want with snow, but there's no way to deal well with ice.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:00 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Part of the problem too is that stores down here don't normally stock snow shovels, salt & ice melting agents until after the storm. So one generally has to make do with what's around the house. For example I cleared a path to my spa last night with a 1x4.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:04 AM

174 posts, read 477,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
A lot of us lived through Hugo, so we'll be alright.

As far as the rush to the grocery store, I don't understand your point.

The 'North' would act/react EXACTLY like the 'South' if you got the same kind of weather. Our winter weather has a considerably higher 'ice factor' than that of the North. We can deal with snow.....but NO ONE can deal with ice.

Moderator cut: flaming
My point is when the forecast is for 1-2 inches and it will be melted by noon the next day....why are you going to the store to "stock up" as if you will be trapped in your house for days?

If you had a prediction of 10"...yeah I understand, but 2 inches? It's gonna be 45 degrees the next day..Paaalease.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
My point is when the forecast is for 1-2 inches and it will be melted by noon the next day....why are you going to the store to "stock up" as if you will be trapped in your house for days?

If you had a prediction of 10"...yeah I understand, but 2 inches? It's gonna be 45 degrees the next day..Paaalease.
What I am saying is that many times here the forecasts are wrong and/or change DURING the storm. The storm I referenced earlier wasn't updated until about 7pm one evening when all of a sudden it stalled, drew more moisture from the gulf than was expected, and camped over us for about 24 hours.

I believe the prediction was for around 4" and my home got 13" and 8 days without power. No one saw that coming. NO ONE.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:10 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,206 times
Perhaps it is my "hurricane mentality" from living in Florida along with the fact I grew up in Chicago which did have ice issues that I would rather err on the side of being prepared. The things I buy will always be used and I would rather have them then not. Our area is still icy and it's not worth it to me to try and go out and battle the roads just to get the essentials I should have already had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte