Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 06:39 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbspt View Post
Until the bad debt is flushed and the system is cleared there will be no job creation. This is what Recessions and Depressions do; they are a necessary part of an economic cycle. You also need a refresher on the Federal Reserve Act. No one held a gun to Bank of America's, Citibank, Well's Fargo's heads and demanded they loan money to unqualified home buyers then turn around and parcel out those mortgages as CDS to make even more money. These banks leveraged themselves into the ground and then came looking for tax payer money when everything blew up. Fannie and Freddie are getting hit again as we speak; the next foreclosure spike is on it's way. We're not close to being out of this mess; its just beginning.

Can Ben and Tim print us out of this mess? I don't think so, but they're going to try their damnedest based on a flaw Economic philosophy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0nERTFo-Sk
The point is (which I've always said) is that there's enough blame to pass around to everyone. Govco was at fault big time (remember greenspan and his ARM comments?), the banks were at fault, homeowners who overleveraged themselves were at fault, realtors (NAR)/appraisers were at fault....

It was a perfect storm that created this. Not one single entity did. I agree w/you on spending your way out of the recession is a bad thing....

I also don't need a refresher on anything. I predicted things would be awful here in charlotte over 2 years ago when 99% of the people were cheerleading and saying "its local" and "charlotte will be immune to the downturn". Go back to my posts and you'll see....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 06:43 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I agree with you on Cuomo's actions.* I think Lewis should be held accountable for the actions of this bank.* However he wasn't the only one in the boat making these kinds of decisions but the difference with him and the rest of this cabal is he isn't a NY banker.** Where are the probes of Goldman Sacs, Citigroup, and so forth?*** Will never happen for this reason.** When they brought Steele down here to run Wachovia, I told someone that it wouldn't be a year until he either moved the HQ to NYC or took the bank down so much it would be acquired.* This happened and Steele appears to have returned to NY, job completed.
Lewis should be held accountable, I agree.* After hearing all sides, my take is that Paulson forced him to do the deal and forced him to take TARP. If he didn't he and the BOD would be fired.....Lewis wanted to reveal how troubled ML was but he was in a huge bind....that's just my .02....

But the actions of Cuomo NOW to me don't pass the sniff test.....I heard on the radio this morning that IF/WHEN Cuomo gets elected governor of NY, he will assume responsibility 100% for this case and most likely he's going to drop it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte