U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:08 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,271,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Definitely tarnation

I almost went with Sam Hill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 07:09 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,874,320 times
Exactly which schools are closed? I did not get any voice mails at all about CMS. And I have not heard about other closings.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:10 PM
LLN

4,976 posts, read 8,712,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Oh my goodness...what is with the school cancellations over some patchy spots on the road? Schools are cancelled tomorrow ? For what ? So now I have to take another day off because daycare is closed because the south has NO CLUE how to handle inclement weather.

As for freezing rain tomorrow , how bout we wait to see if we actually get freezing rain. (Which we won't) ..RIDICULOUS
Actually the south does know exactly how to deal with weather.. We don't spend a ton of money on equipment that we would use once every several years. It is one of the reason all you Yankees came south...low taxes...Remember? It is you who does not know how to handle the south.

If you came down here thinking that snow was just another day, you did not do enough research and the one to blame, the one to gripe to, the one responsible is the dude staring back at you in the mirror.

lln

Old 02-01-2010, 07:12 PM
LLN

4,976 posts, read 8,712,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
There is NO need for this kind of response..NONE.

This is not about clearing the roads..the roads are CLEAR and to be honest, I thought the towns handled the snow and ice darn well..so I ask again..why is everything closed?
I disagree. The response was restrained. Unless you have been on every road that a school bus has been on, and unless you have been on every road that a 16 year old, inexperienced driver has been on, you know not about what you speak.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:14 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,126,624 times
What's still closed?

Old 02-01-2010, 07:15 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
Exactly which schools are closed? I did not get any voice mails at all about CMS. And I have not heard about other closings.
I am not sure which ones are closed. I had the news on in the background while fixing dinner and heard some announcements being made.

I will see if I can find a link.

It is not always easy to find out when the schools are closed, b/c a lot of times, they don't announce it very far ahead.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:17 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Here is a list of closings:

Charlotte Mecklenburg County Weather Closings | Charlotte School Closings & Delays - WSOC-TV North Carolina

Old 02-01-2010, 07:17 PM

2,193 posts, read 4,534,610 times
LOL at ani's comments.

There's a lot of ice still out there and I've been slipping and sliding all day. I think I'm gonna keep some salt in my home in the future. I fell twice in two days!!

Anyway, I totally see why school has been cancelled. Even in colder states, they do this when there is icy conditions on the road.

As for daycare, I'm a little confused as to why that would be closed as well? Do daycares not want the same responsibility (of risking kids slipping/falling)?

Anyway, OP, you don't have a back up solution for these types of days? Emergency babysitter, neighbor, family etc? I understand the need to have to get to work, but on the other hand, I remember loving snow days so I could sleep in and play all day. You might be ruining that enjoyment for them!

Old 02-01-2010, 07:18 PM

21,852 posts, read 27,123,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I almost went with Sam Hill
That would be almost as good.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:21 PM

9,564 posts, read 8,847,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwally View Post
I thought the same thing- the roads look good to me! But, as I was driving to school today for the teacher work day many parts of the roads still had thick slippery ice on them due to not melting from the shade of trees. I think it was smart to call of school yesterday and I do see why they want a delay tomorrow. For the minimal ice/snow I have seen in my 3 years here it just makes sense not to drive instead of paying $$$.
Well wait a sec..I am not complaining about schools closing today at all! I agreed with that wholeheartedly. The roads were slick and it was frigid last night. I don't want to see kids or anyone else at risk so closing today was a smart , sensible thing...its closing TOMORROW I don't get. It was 48 degrees today, tonight will barely touch freezing. That is my problem here in Gaston county. Maybe I am missing something but I doubt ANYTHING refreezes tonight.

Oh well, I guess I am just venting a little...I am just not sure its not a bit of overkill. Yep, I come from a place where even with snow on the roads school is not closed and THAT is my point. Its not the handling of the roads , I think with the equipment here they do a fine job. Its the FEAR ...the running for milk and bread for a 3 inch storm that makes shake my head ...not the way the roads are handled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte