U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:03 AM

5 posts, read 12,109 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may be relocating to the Charlotte area from the Washington DC area in the near future. His job will be located just south of the city. I am wondering if there are any communities that have that main street feel--where you can walk to the coffee shop, unique shops and non chain restaurants--not only strip malls. We have a great area in Alexandria Virginia called Del Ray and I would love to find that neighborhood feel in Charlotte. We are looking for a single family home under $350,000. We plan on having children in the future but right now schools are not our main concern. I have been looking at numerous neighborhoods in south Charlotte and they look like nice neighborhoods but they are just neighborhoods with a pool. If you want anything else you have to drive. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 10:17 AM

587 posts, read 1,435,122 times
Try Baxter Village in Fort Mill, SC - www.baxtervillage.com

Old 02-03-2010, 11:05 AM
amp

519 posts, read 1,340,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renlouis View Post
Try Baxter Village in Fort Mill, SC - www.baxtervillage.com
I was going to suggest this too...they definately have that walkable community, but it isn't like NOVA/Alexandria.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:50 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,471,323 times
A lot of neighborhoods have walking paths near or around them, but we don't have neighborhood centers per se. You can walk around Dilworth & come across coffee shops & restaurants but it may be out of your price range. I'd vote for Baxter Village as well.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:28 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,724,960 times
North Mecklenburg: Birkdale, Cornelius, Davidson, as well as parks and bicycle trails.
Center Charlotte: Downtown, 4th Ward, Southend, Dilworth, Elizabeth, and Myers Park.

There are walkable areas around the city, but depending on the way you look and dress, you might be a victim of a serious crime.

As the person wrote before, Baxter Village is also a good area.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:38 PM

5 posts, read 12,109 times
Baxter Village looks very nice but how far of a commute would that be to Charlotte?

Old 02-03-2010, 04:01 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,471,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsundy View Post
Baxter Village looks very nice but how far of a commute would that be to Charlotte?
Downtown?

Old 02-03-2010, 09:04 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,340,683 times
Quote:
Baxter is right next to 77, so if your husband is working just south of the city, it shouldn't be a bad commute. Especially comming from the DC area...which is #3 in the country right now for worst traffic I used to live in a variety of areas in the DC metro region(G'town, Reston, Bethesda)...and the traffic here does not come close. I live in the Ballyntyne area and commute to right next to the airport or uptown and depending on when I leave its about 30-45 minutes, when normally it would take about 20-25ish...though I have never come from SC to here(as Baxter is in SC).

I bet there are some great communities that are closer to uptown though that are walking style communities, though like a previous poster I think they may have a slightly higher price range. Maybe check with a real estate agent...if you need one DM me I can send you a name of someone that was awesome, showed us the city, no pressure.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:16 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,653,718 times
Quote:
I hear it's 20-25 minutes to Uptown in normal rush hour traffic.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:03 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,942,772 times
Basically it is connected to downtown Charlotte by already over loaded I-77, on the NC side which the state admits should be an 8 lane highway as it is on the SC side, but which there is no hope of it being rebuilt in the next 1/4 century due to the costs. It's a 25 minute drive when there are no traffic issues. When there are traffic issues, and these exist many days of the week, anytime there is a busy event in downtown, or an accident, expect this commute to be much longer.

Your other choice is to drive to Hwy 521 and get on the light rail. The light rail portion is about a 30 minute ride into downtown and you have to add in time to travel from your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte