Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:46 AM

1,784 posts, read 2,381,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator803 View Post
Very strange - I don't know the details behind the case, but my wife was a recruiter for B of A (in Virginia) in this time period. She hired mostly entry-level positions, and in fact they partnered with the "Welfare to Work" program and hired many solid candidates who were looking to turn their lives around. The bulk of the hirees from Welfare to Work were not white - she hired for some of the largest B of A departments. So it makes it hard to think the bank was discriminating in this time period when they specifically partnered with a program that places many minorities in positions with the bank.
If you read the article more closely the discrimination allegedly occurred in Charlotte and was not alleged to have occurred in Virginia. None of us were present during the administrative hearing so none of us know what the evidence was that showed discrimination. I can only guess that the evidence showed a pattern of more highly qualified blacks not being hired in favor of lesser qualified whites. Subsequently BofA was unable to persuasively rebut and explain why a lesser qualified white person was hired instead of the more qualified black person. I repeat, this is all speculation but that would be an example of a scenario that would tend to show discrimination.

Moderator cut: off topic to BoA

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-08-2010 at 11:40 AM..

Old 02-04-2010, 12:20 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
What do you all think of this news which although big, is not on The Observer's front page. Do you think the "good old boy's club" system still prevails in Charlotte? If true, is it hurting your changes of getting a job if you are a minority? On the other side of the coin, Bank of America's old CEO was Al de Molina, a Cuban American. So if BofA is bias, how come they had a Hispanic CEO?

Judge: Hiring at Bank of America is biased - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/banking/story/1221293.html?mi_pluck_action=comment_submitted&qwx q=2656770#Comments_Container - broken link)
I haven't read the story so I'm not trying to say that what I'm about to say is definite. But you could still be bias and have a Hispanic as CEO as a token boy. It seems as if now the board controls BoA anyway, plus he could be extremely limited to what he can and can't do. Jus throwing some reason out there for why they still could be bias. I'm not saying they are.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:59 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
[quote=Aspe4;12753030]
None of us were present during the administrative hearing so none of us know what the evidence was that showed discrimination. I can only guess that the evidence showed a pattern of more highly qualified blacks not being hired in favor of lesser qualified whites. Subsequently BofA was unable to persuasively rebut and explain why a lesser qualified white person was hired instead of the more qualified black person. I repeat, this is all speculation but that would be an example of a scenario that would tend to show discrimination.

Or, it might have been a matter of B of A hiring the person that appeared to be the smartest and best suited for a particular job and that choice wasn't a black person. Appearance, attitude, ability to speak good English, and intelligence are the main factors in obtaining most high paying jobs. If a person applies for a job at Bank of America and has a Master's Degree in Sociology and another applies with a Bachelor's degree in business administration, the white will be more qualified for the job as far as academics due to the nature of the position.

Moderator cut: orphaned quote
Moderator cut: orphaned part of post

Moderator cut: off topic to BoA

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-08-2010 at 11:44 AM..

Old 02-04-2010, 05:09 PM

769 posts, read 2,219,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
Well yeah money, but who does it go to. Do they just review every African American (the article specifies race - it's not including all minorities)that applied for a BoA entry level position in Charlotte and got turned away during those specific years and send them a check?

The article says that it was the U.S. Department of Labor's Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs that discovered the statistically significant apparent levels of discrimination. So do they get the money / fine -- "remedy"?

The gov't is just going to give it back to BoA through another stimulus anyways.
Yep, if you can prove that you applied for a job during that time frame and fit the "profile" - and didn't get hired, you'll get money.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I haven't read the story so I'm not trying to say that what I'm about to say is definite. But you could still be bias and have a Hispanic as CEO as a token boy. It seems as if now the board controls BoA anyway, plus he could be extremely limited to what he can and can't do. Jus throwing some reason out there for why they still could be bias. I'm not saying they are.
It's also "harder" to have discrimination the higher the position, since that also means the pool of qualified candidates is smaller - you could have hundreds of applicants qualified for entry level positions, and only 2-3, or even only 1, for a CFO/COO/CEO type position.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:29 PM

[quote=bandibadji;12757049]
Quote:
... If a person applies for a job at Bank of America and has a Master's Degree in Sociology and another applies with a Bachelor's degree in business administration, the white will be more qualified for the job as far as academics due to the nature of the position. l. [/b]
This argument doesn't make sense to me. First, apparently the assumption is that the African-American is the one who has the B.A. And the white has the M.A. This is a fallacious argument, as applicants for professional positions are likely to have similar social and educational status, regardless of race. One could reasonably argue that the ratio of African-American to white applicants would not be representative at this level, but not that there would be a huge disparity in the education, social and professional levels.

But, having an M.A. vs. a B.A. really has no bearing on an entry level position, which is what this lawsuit is regarding. In fact, in an entry level job, the applicant with the M.A. would be so over qualified as to be essentially eliminated from consideration, since employers aren't looking for someone who's going to move on at the first chance of something better.

Second, a B.A. in Business Administration wouldn't necessarily win over a M.A. in Sociology at a bank, since a bank is in the business of business, not counseling people.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:01 AM

284 posts, read 605,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
If you read the article more closely the discrimination allegedly occurred in Charlotte and was not alleged to have occurred in Virginia. .
I should have pointed out that although she was based in VA, she recruited nationally, and Charlotte was a primary focus. I didn't mean to say these things didn't occur, but based on what I saw I don't think it was the rule.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:23 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
[Moderator cut: orphaned quote
Well, the way I see it is - if a judge rules, then that is that. It really doesn't matter what anyone thinks as to the validity of the charge against BofA or anyone's opinion of the ruling.

However, I have known folks of several different races who have enjoyed upwardly mobile careers at BofA - and sure hasn't appeared that anyone has discriminated in re:to their ability to move up the ladder, be compensated fairly (and to be hired, for that matter). But I don't work there. All I know is what I have heard and observed. The lay-offs sure seem to have been evenly distributed across the demographics of the organization, lol.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-08-2010 at 11:50 AM..

Old 02-07-2010, 12:03 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Maybe some of these practices will be explained in the upcoming trial.Ken Lewis: If I’m Going Down, Hank Paulson and Ben Bernanke Are Coming Down With Me -- Daily Intel

Old 02-07-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komonadaz View Post
I Don't really know much of the hiring of BOA, but I will say being from New Jersey and moving to the Charlotter area. We have found it a little difficult for miniorities to get employment in this area, alot of jobs ask the ethnics of the applicants especially when you do applications on the internet. Also we have seen that some companies are also doing credit checks I feel that is to keep most miniorities from getting jobs. This has to stop companies need to realize that discrimination is a crime.
Every job I've applied for for the last dozen years has asked what ethnic origin the applicant is, and it is precisely due to things like this lawsuit, so that affirmative action compliance can be tracked or assessed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte