Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 02:11 AM

8 posts, read 22,381 times

Advertisements

I have lived on Cornelius and Concord together for 4yrs. I cannot for the life of me understand why every single day, at any given time, no matter what, the drivers on HWY 73 cannot drive 55? They average 35, and the posted speed limit is 55 most of the way between I-85 and I-77. I have heard that a lot of commuters use it as a "cut-through" I think they mean a short cut, because they think they can avoid the interstate traffic. My question is, if these drivers are looking to save time, and are given the opportunity to go faster, then WHY DON'T THEY? Also, there was a small barrier at Mays Rd. & Hwy 73. The purpose for that was safety concerns as people kept pulling out in front of other drivers. Well, some people have taken upon themselves to ignore, run-over, and destroy that barrier! Whats it going to take for them to learn that they are not above the law? We need a concrete barrier with spike strips! I have almost had head-on collisions with arrogant drivers who drive on the wrong side of the road to avoid the barrier. By the way, I think the locals are as much to blame here as any "Northerners", so dont start pointing fingers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 03:43 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,275,972 times
As you pointed out, that road has far more traffic on it than it was designed for and it also has a great deal of pullouts, drive ways and side roads connected to it. The safety barrier you mention is evidence of this. Hence, people slow down for safety reasons, especially during school days. It's also a NCDOT cross state HWY so there is a lot of non-local traffic on it too. It doesn't help that Cabarrus county is absolutely reckless in planning as they approve any subdivision without regard to the traffic it causes. IMO, there are not many areas on that road, during commuting hours and/or on the weekend due to lake traffic, where you can maintain 55 mph.

Though a lot of people consider the Speed Limit a must drive speed, you are supposed to drive at this speed or less as conditions require to do it safely. It's not going to be any better until I-485 has been completed.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:58 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,524,783 times
Good question. I have the same one for people who drive on Idlewild. Speed limit is 45 until you cross over WT Harris but folks insist on going 35.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:15 AM

308 posts, read 615,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Good question. I have the same one for people who drive on Idlewild. Speed limit is 45 until you cross over WT Harris but folks insist on going 35.
Geeeze! What do people expect? Don't people realize that it is hard to text or dial while driving without slowing down.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:13 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,978,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oachiever View Post
I have lived on Cornelius and Concord together for 4yrs. I cannot for the life of me understand why every single day, at any given time, no matter what, the drivers on HWY 73 cannot drive 55? They average 35, and the posted speed limit is 55 most of the way between I-85 and I-77. I have heard that a lot of commuters use it as a "cut-through" I think they mean a short cut, because they think they can avoid the interstate traffic. My question is, if these drivers are looking to save time, and are given the opportunity to go faster, then WHY DON'T THEY? Also, there was a small barrier at Mays Rd. & Hwy 73. The purpose for that was safety concerns as people kept pulling out in front of other drivers. Well, some people have taken upon themselves to ignore, run-over, and destroy that barrier! Whats it going to take for them to learn that they are not above the law? We need a concrete barrier with spike strips! I have almost had head-on collisions with arrogant drivers who drive on the wrong side of the road to avoid the barrier. By the way, I think the locals are as much to blame here as any "Northerners", so dont start pointing fingers!
Typical for down here. I deal with it all the time in Fort Mill, SC and in Charlotte. We have a lot of roads that are 45-55 and people insist on doing 35. Your not impressing the cops by going slower, and apparently people dont use their rear view mirror to see the line of traffic they are creating.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:53 PM

Dear people over 80 who are still driving: Thank you for saving the world from the Nazi menace. However, if you cannot go faster than 20 in a 45 please stop driving.

That is all.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:23 AM

398 posts, read 979,111 times
I drive at least the speed limit, but if you ride my rear bumper, I'm slowing down at least 5 below the speed limit to simply annoy you.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djshinodalp View Post
I drive at least the speed limit, but if you ride my rear bumper, I'm slowing down at least 5 below the speed limit to simply annoy you.

I try never to tailgate anyone even if they are going slow and it is driving me crazy. It's stupid to risk wrecking your car to try and make them go faster.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:17 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,273,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djshinodalp View Post

Pretty sure I was behind you Saturday on Hwy 51 between Carmel and Old Monroe Rd.
Your speed was exactly 45.00 mph in a 45 zone and you were matching the speed of a garbage truck in the right lane, for miles...

Old 06-27-2011, 11:18 AM

398 posts, read 979,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I try never to tailgate anyone even if they are going slow and it is driving me crazy. It's stupid to risk wrecking your car to try and make them go faster.
Me neither, but I am amazing how many bully drivers there are on the road these days. Specially SUVs... tailgate with their HID lights as if to bully the slow driver out the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte