U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 06:21 AM

21,851 posts, read 27,123,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amillion3147 View Post
Thank you. This is exactly what I want to know as well. I was a bit pissed coming from MA and not being able to stroll in there and show them my valid license from my home state and get my license. I have been driving well over 15 years. No I had to waste more of my time reading that darn book like I was 17 all over again for a written road test. Dying to know what is going to happen when it's time for me renew the license. Not sure it's any good anyway because from the looks of it they let any ole person have a driver's license after jumping through the endless hoops. I hate to generalize but charlotte drivers are worst than drivers up in Boston.
I've been driving for 41 years & it didn't occur to me to get POed. I read the book & took the written test. When it's time to renew you take the eye test & the sign test.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:35 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,913,511 times
We went through similar name issues with our NC licenses, but we knew in advance that we would need the actual physical social security CARD, so our first stop was the SS office in Statesville. We learned much to our surprise, that Social security doesn't care about your middle initial and will change it for you with little documentation. They care about first and last names, but not middle initials:

For example, if my name at birth was John Smith, and my birth certificate says John Smith, and my original social security card says "John Smith" but at age 11 I started to use John L Smith but never legally changed it, Social Security will issue me a replacement SS card that says "John L Smith" !!
Imagine that!

On the other hand, if my wife's name is Jane Johnson, but since age 10 she has been going by Janie Johnson, and even has a passport showing her name is Janie Johnson, social security will not issue her a card as "Janie Johnson" without a legal name change.

This is what happened to both my wife and me - names changed to protect the guilty.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:21 PM

79 posts, read 262,946 times
it is the biggest pain to get this all switched over from out of state. end of story. you have to get the license first and it has to be mailed. Not only that but you have to bring your whole life with you to prove who you are and take the test fine..but then mail it to me really. I think that is lame. Give it to me now. It is way worse mailing and the evil people of the world might break into my mail or someone at the post office may snatch. How many people are handling my new license. ANNOYING!!
Second I have to wait until I have that in hand to get my new plate. And when to get my new plate I have to produce a whole other set of documents to prove I am not a criminal and that my car is legal and the title which I do not even have it is still being paid off.
So annoyed at NC right now yea a little bit.
Flame me all you want and tell me it is because of 9/11 which really it has nothing to do with. But go ahead because I could not be more annoyed!

Old 02-05-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonsandlimes View Post
it is the biggest pain to get this all switched over from out of state. end of story. you have to get the license first and it has to be mailed. Not only that but you have to bring your whole life with you to prove who you are and take the test fine..but then mail it to me really. I think that is lame. Give it to me now. It is way worse mailing and the evil people of the world might break into my mail or someone at the post office may snatch. How many people are handling my new license. ANNOYING!!
Second I have to wait until I have that in hand to get my new plate. And when to get my new plate I have to produce a whole other set of documents to prove I am not a criminal and that my car is legal and the title which I do not even have it is still being paid off.
Flame me all you want and tell me it is because of 9/11 which really it has nothing to do with. But go ahead because I could not be more annoyed!
It's no worse than this.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Licen...posterpint.pdf

At least they're nice to you when you go, here.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:46 PM

nice to you when you go where? the dmv in NC I think not. They could not have been rude based on my accent alone. Super helpful in an already stressful situation.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:48 PM

at least that explains what is going on. the ncdot website could not be more confusing.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:48 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,068,833 times
Quote:
Anyone who doesn't like the process of getting a driver's license doesn't have to get one. Why do people have this attitude nowadays that everything should be easy and that it all can be in and out? Thousands of people a day are trying to get the license and plates done. These are controlled items and you should have to prove who you are.

I moved here from VA and when I finally went to get my NC license I was in and out within a couple hours. I am very disorganized so a regular person should have no problem. Have your ducks in a row before you get there and you won't have these problems.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
nice to you when you go where? the dmv in NC I think not. They could not have been rude based on my accent alone. Super helpful in an already stressful situation.
Well, I have an accent & everyone of the officers who I had contact with was polite & friendly. They were all nice to me.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:59 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,988,172 times
I hate to hear you had a bad experience. For others who may need a license, all of us "documented" drivers have some advice: do a little research to save yourself some hassle!

I googled "new license NCDMV" and immediately found this very informative official webpage that lists exactly what is required. It is very clear, and I don't really find the requirements that demanding. BTW, they do accept valid, unexpired licenses from other states as one of the forms of identification... so don't wait until after your license expires to get a new one!

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Applying for a Driver License or Learner Permit?

Maybe your pain will reduce another's suffering by inspiring a modicum of pre-trip research?

Old 02-05-2010, 04:34 PM

i did google the website and received conflicting information when I called. When I did head down with what I thought I needed I was turned away. Perhaps if this system was a little more streamlined there would not be so many issues. I am clearly not the only one. I really would not brag about the top notch service because it is not up to par in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte