Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 03:27 PM

25 posts, read 150,597 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are considering a house in the Buckleigh community in northeast Charlotte? Is it a good area? any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 03:55 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyu View Post
Hi,

We are considering a house in the Buckleigh community in northeast Charlotte? Is it a good area? any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I personally like that area of the county for its suburban feel and how far it feels removed from the city - but there have been a high number of foreclosures in the general area, so you'd have to take that in to account in my opinion. I know the home prices look great, but there is a reason for that. Just saying, buyer beware.

In addition, anytime people advertize their homes for sale and don't include the schools information you can be sure they are trying to hide from buyers what those schools are. Just do some research to find out where the neighborhood is assigned and then check the schools out on great schools.net.

Best of luck!

Old 02-04-2010, 08:26 PM

97 posts, read 369,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I personally like that area of the county for its suburban feel and how far it feels removed from the city - but there have been a high number of foreclosures in the general area, so you'd have to take that in to account in my opinion. I know the home prices look great, but there is a reason for that. Just saying, buyer beware.

In addition, anytime people advertize their homes for sale and don't include the schools information you can be sure they are trying to hide from buyers what those schools are. Just do some research to find out where the neighborhood is assigned and then check the schools out on great schools.net.

Best of luck!
Thank you.. I will take a look. are you suggesting the schools there are not great?

Old 02-04-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbi98 View Post
Thank you.. I will take a look. are you suggesting the schools there are not great?
I do not know which particular schools Buckleigh is assigned to.

I can only tell you that when you look up homes for sale by neighborhood and NOT ONE home advertized lists the schools - they are trying to keep that from you for a reason.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:28 AM

16 posts, read 44,313 times
Looking at the CMS boundary maps, the elementary school for Buckleigh is Joseph W. Grier Academy, which is about a mile up Rocky River/Grier Roads. The middle school is Northridge Middle School, which is a couple of miles away, behind Reedy Creek Park and just east of the intersection of East WT Harris Boulevard and The Plaza. The high school for the current year appears to be Independence High School, which is about 10 miles away. Next year, it appears the high school assignment will change to Rocky River High School, which is a new high school close to the 485 interchange for Albemarle Road. That school appears to be about 8 or 9 miles away. As someone with no kids, I can't tell you a thing about how these schools are, but hopefully someone else here will be able to help further with that.

As for the community itself, as lovesMountains mentioned, the home prices are a little on the low side in part because of the number of the foreclosures in the area, so that's something to be aware of. Something else to be aware of is the traffic around the neighborhood. Rocky River is a busy road, particularly in the mornings and evenings. Turning left out of Buckleigh in the morning is pretty tough, especially at the John Russell Road intersection. If you're going right in the morning, it's not nearly as much of an issue, but if you're headed to the elementary school or out toward Harris, it can be a fairly daunting task. The good news there is that a traffic signal is supposed to be coming to that intersection at some point in the near future, so that should help quite a bit.

As with any home search, I'd suggest driving by at various times if you have the chance. That way you get a better feel for the traffic around the neighborhood, as well as the neighborhood itself. I'd also suggest checking out their HOA website. There's a decent amount on there, including the HOA covenants. Their newsletter also has quite a bit of information in it, including the HOA dues.

I hope at least some of this information helps, and hopefully you'll be able to get more information on the schools if you need it. Are you looking specifically at Buckley, or are you looking in the surrounding area as well?

Old 02-05-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Bear View Post
Looking at the CMS boundary maps, the elementary school for Buckleigh is Joseph W. Grier Academy, which is about a mile up Rocky River/Grier Roads. The middle school is Northridge Middle School, which is a couple of miles away, behind Reedy Creek Park and just east of the intersection of East WT Harris Boulevard and The Plaza. The high school for the current year appears to be Independence High School, which is about 10 miles away. Next year, it appears the high school assignment will change to Rocky River High School, which is a new high school close to the 485 interchange for Albemarle Road. That school appears to be about 8 or 9 miles away. As someone with no kids, I can't tell you a thing about how these schools are, but hopefully someone else here will be able to help further with that.

As for the community itself, as lovesMountains mentioned, the home prices are a little on the low side in part because of the number of the foreclosures in the area, so that's something to be aware of. Something else to be aware of is the traffic around the neighborhood. Rocky River is a busy road, particularly in the mornings and evenings. Turning left out of Buckleigh in the morning is pretty tough, especially at the John Russell Road intersection. If you're going right in the morning, it's not nearly as much of an issue, but if you're headed to the elementary school or out toward Harris, it can be a fairly daunting task. The good news there is that a traffic signal is supposed to be coming to that intersection at some point in the near future, so that should help quite a bit.

As with any home search, I'd suggest driving by at various times if you have the chance. That way you get a better feel for the traffic around the neighborhood, as well as the neighborhood itself. I'd also suggest checking out their HOA website. There's a decent amount on there, including the HOA covenants. Their newsletter also has quite a bit of information in it, including the HOA dues.

I hope at least some of this information helps, and hopefully you'll be able to get more information on the schools if you need it. Are you looking specifically at Buckley, or are you looking in the surrounding area as well?
Wow, it appears to me someone on the CMS website goofed, big time

Rocky River High school is NOT the one near Albemarle Rd in Mint Hill - that's the new Hough High. Rocky River is the new school up in the north end of the county. So this neigborhood would apparently be assigned to the new Mint Hill high school, Hough High - just FYI.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:36 PM

25 posts, read 150,597 times
Thank you Mellow Bear and lovesMountains!

Old 02-05-2010, 09:53 PM

445 posts, read 1,166,461 times
Nope, you're wrong - Rocky River High school is in Mint Hill near 485 and Albemarle Rd. Hough High is in the north end near Huntersville.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinajean View Post
Nope, you're wrong - Rocky River High school is in Mint Hill near 485 and Albemarle Rd. Hough High is in the north end near Huntersville.
Thanks for the correction! I meant to go back and research this and forgot to I was confused earlier today, remembering the controversary with the new high school in Mint Hill and the fact that Mint Hill kids don't get to go to it - call it a "brain fart" But you are right, it is Rocky River. The controversary with the new Hough High is outlined in this old thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ard-boner.html

Old 06-17-2012, 03:05 PM

153 posts, read 195,629 times
Any updates on Buckleigh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte