Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 05:09 PM

104 posts, read 177,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
+1. I'm definitely against this, but its laughable to think this small project will bring down the whole area.
Will it raze it to the ground? No. But ask yourself this: Would you like to live next to section 8 apartments? Honestly?

I can take care of myself (and the house, IF I'm home, but since I have a job and a life I'm usually not), but personally I wouldn't buy near them. Not with a wife and kids. I don't think many would. Hence property values drop. It's economics 101, with the ramifications being taken out on one of the largest investments of your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 05:30 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,112 times
^It should be noted there is more than one kind of Section 8 housing. One of the others is where an individual homeowner agrees to rent their house to someone getting aid from the Housing Authority. The Housing Authority provides the tenant and guarantees that $X/month. Currently this is limited to rents of $800/month in Charlotte so these kinds of rentals are limited to more modest neighborhoods in Charlotte. Where they exist, they do quickly take down a neighborhood.

The Mayor wants to increase this amount from $800/month to $1800/month. When this happens, I can see this spreading out a great deal. You will see homeowners who are stuck with two homes take this option. $1800/month is a whole new ballgame.

Doesn't seem quite right that someone should get to rent a place like this who hasn't worked for it.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:56 PM

830 posts, read 1,529,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I'm sure someone said the same thing when that first public housing project went up in Detroit!
Please...the large scale, high rise public housing projects in inner-city Detroit (or Chicago, NY, St. Louis, etc) are a far, far cry from what is being proposed in Ballantyne

Old 02-12-2010, 06:33 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Please...the large scale, high rise public housing projects in inner-city Detroit (or Chicago, NY, St. Louis, etc) are a far, far cry from what is being proposed in Ballantyne
stlterp - I did say that with a bit of tongue-in-cheek. But here is an article from a while back on what happens to neighborhoods when Section 8 invades an area. It's a long article but a real eye-opener!

American Murder Mystery - The Atlantic (July/August 2008)

Old 02-12-2010, 06:57 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,130,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
stlterp - I did say that with a bit of tongue-in-cheek. But here is an article from a while back on what happens to neighborhoods when Section 8 invades an area. It's a long article but a real eye-opener!

American Murder Mystery - The Atlantic (July/August 2008)
This is a great and very interesting article! It proves what we all knew all along, and it even comes right out to say that even though it's not PC, these people are the reason for increased crime in the areas that are infiltrated with section 8. I think if they want to put affordable housing in all over the city (any city), there needs to be extensive screening of the individuals who would be renting. More than just a credit check or employment check, but a full nationwide background and criminal check as well as ongoing monitoring for criminal activity and job stability. I doubt that would ever happen though.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:06 PM

68 posts, read 108,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackley View Post
Will it raze it to the ground? No. But ask yourself this: Would you like to live next to section 8 apartments? Honestly?

I can take care of myself (and the house, IF I'm home, but since I have a job and a life I'm usually not), but personally I wouldn't buy near them. Not with a wife and kids. I don't think many would. Hence property values drop. It's economics 101, with the ramifications being taken out on one of the largest investments of your life.
Exactly!! And when your house dropped in value by 20-30% of what you owe, will you invest in a new kitchen, or master bathroom so you can loose more money...Anyone who says that it wont change anything around is plain stu&8d. We barely got rid of our house in MA and when we were losing money on it, we did not fix a one thing in it....

Old 02-13-2010, 05:02 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,797,586 times
Looks like the Breakfast Club meeting is cancelled due to snow...I hope they reschedule this vs. just cancelling it.

Ballantyne Breakfast Club - Committed to Enhancing our Community

Old 02-13-2010, 05:13 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,669 times
Meeting today of the Ballantyne Breakfast Club is still ON. I just called the hotel to confirm.

Drive safe whoever is coming.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:21 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,797,586 times
The Ballantyne Breakfast Clubs Website says it's canceled....

Old 02-13-2010, 05:24 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,615,836 times
Our first home in Charlotte was in Hidden Valley. It was a nice middle class neighborhood and then the government 235 plan moved in. This plan allowed a family of seven or eight to pay about $80 per month and moved them into 4 and 5 bedroom homes next to a tax paying family. Have you seen Hidden Valley on the five O'clock news lately? There goes the neighborhood. It did not work and we stayed longer than we should have trying to make it work and lost thousands on our property when we finally sold. We realized we could not stay there with our children any longer when a neighbor pointed out that there had been 7 murders within a mile of us in the last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte