Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 11:25 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I agree, more training and educational opportunities are definitely needed -- the type that might be available in an area of less concentrated poverty.

I don't really care one way or another about whether this project gets built. I avoid Ballantyne like the plague ever since Regal bought the movie theater down there and turned it to crap.

But if you want to talk about FREE money, let's talk about the biggest government handout of all: The mortgage interest deduction.
You are going to protest one of the few deductions still available to folks who actually EARN a living and pay taxes on it? I guess you would suck us all a little bit more dry - so the gimme's out there can get a little more from Uncle Sam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 11:28 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxfan2980 View Post
Its perpetuating a cycle of dependence that I am NOT going to sign my paycheck over to support every week like some of the people in this city think we should.
OK but what is your plan of action to not pay taxes? Move? Withhold taxes and put in escrow? Default on your lender if you have one? Sell now? What?

Old 02-16-2010, 11:31 AM

33 posts, read 47,609 times
"But if you want to talk about FREE money, let's talk about the biggest government handout of all: The mortgage interest deduction."

How is that FREE MONEY?? Its not a tax credit or a rebate, its a deduction. HUGE DIFFERENCE. Yeah, lets further penalize people who own a home that pays property taxes, and who ACTUALLY PAY their mortgages. That's ridiculous

Old 02-16-2010, 11:33 AM

33 posts, read 47,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
OK but what is your plan of action to not pay taxes? Move? Withhold taxes and put in escrow? Default on your lender if you have one? Sell now? What?
Pink Caddy, I'm not saying I won't pay taxes, I'm talking about people who want to continue and expand these programs that will ultimately raise taxes to fund them, which is more money out of MY paycheck.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:41 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You are going to protest one of the few deductions still available to folks who actually EARN a living and pay taxes on it? I guess you would suck us all a little bit more dry - so the gimme's out there can get a little more from Uncle Sam?

$21,000 in lost tax on every million dollar mortgage could shore up the deficit pretty quickly. I'm not opposed on smaller mortgages, but it does artificially drive up real estate prices. I'm just saying, if you want to look at where the real subsidies go, the ones that actually affect your tax rate and the nation's debt, look upward.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
$21,000 in lost tax on every million dollar mortgage could shore up the deficit pretty quickly. I'm not opposed on smaller mortgages, but it does artificially drive up real estate prices. I'm just saying, if you want to look at where the real subsidies go, the ones that actually affect your tax rate and the nation's debt, look upward.

Why is it that the upper 5% of this country is somehow under an obligation to fund whatever entitlement programs the feds (and particularly, this administration) can dream up? Why not cut out a big chunk of entitlements? Why not let cities and states take care of the folks who choose to live in those places the best they can - and if that municipality can't afford a new school, or a new jailhouse, or a new highway - then they just can't!

That is how this country used to be run . . . to the best of my knowledge, our Founding Fathers didn't put some caveat in the Constitution that said - the feds are responsible for collecting taxes and then returning them in the form of entitlements so we could "level the playing field" for all human beings in every state.

Property ownership used to mean some guaranteed rights in this country. Now, it appears that anyone responsible enuff to save up their money in order to buy property is simply viewed as a cash register. And those without property reap the benefits.

That is exactly what we are seeing at work in Ballantyne.

Last edited by brokensky; 02-16-2010 at 12:08 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 12:06 PM

554 posts, read 1,507,250 times
This is ridiculous. I just really am complexed what goes on people's heads. "Mortgage interest deduction"...yeah THATS the same thing as giving $1800 vouchers to people who DONT WORK! Are you kidding me?!?!?!!

As I stated and someone else stated before, if you want to live in a nice area then work to do so. If you can't afford it, find an area in which you can. It's pretty cut and clear...some people are getting too used to the fact that money is just being handed at no cost to them at all, but those work - BIG cost to us? But we should sit back and keep our mouths shut while this project would clearly devalue our homes and bring crimes into our neighborhoods.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:26 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
That is how this country used to be run . . . to the best of my knowledge, our Founding Fathers didn't put some caveat in the Constitution that said - the feds are responsible for collecting taxes and then returning them in the form of entitlements so we could "level the playing field" for all human beings in every state. ....
In fact the Founding Fathers were adamant this should not happen. They put in limits that constitutionally prevents Congress from doing so with lawful money. (not legal tender)

So Congress, the President in collusion with the banks stopped circulating lawful money and they created the Federal Reserve, which is a private institution that was given the monopoly on legal tender money, and that loophole lets them avoid Constitutional issues. Technically the Federal Reserve Notes you hold are with a private institution and that allows them to do all sorts of interesting things including the income tax, without having to deal with that very inconvenient US Constitution. The income tax and Federal Reserve did not exist before 1914 and the people where not force to change until 1933. Coincidently this was the same year that Adolph Hitler was elected to the office of Chancellor and setup the same financial system there.

BTW, to take this a step further, there once was no such thing as a mortgage deduction on homes as there was no income tax to deduct it from. The reality of it is that it forces people to take on debt with the federal reserve in order to own a home. This is by design and not a good thing. The issue can't be dealt with however as people in this country are still getting drunk on debt and the very arguments that are being made above are being made.

Last edited by lumbollo; 02-16-2010 at 12:40 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 12:34 PM

830 posts, read 1,529,664 times
Quote:
Why is it that the upper 5% of this country is somehow under an obligation to fund whatever entitlement programs the feds (and particularly, this administration) can dream up? Why not cut out a big chunk of entitlements? Why not let cities and states take care of the folks who choose to live in those places the best they can - and if that municipality can't afford a new school, or a new jailhouse, or a new highway - then they just can't!

That is how this country used to be run . . . to the best of my knowledge, our Founding Fathers didn't put some caveat in the Constitution that said - the feds are responsible for collecting taxes and then returning them in the form of entitlements so we could "level the playing field" for all human beings in every state.

Property ownership used to mean some guaranteed rights in this country. Now, it appears that anyone responsible enuff to save up their money in order to buy property is simply viewed as a cash register. And those without property reap the benefits.

That is exactly what we are seeing at work in Ballantyne.
Um, the biggest entitlement program in decades, the Prescription Drug Act, was passed under the previous administration. That alone dwarfs anything the present administration has done in terms of entitlements.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:39 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Because the vast majority of subsidies and entitlements benefit the middle class. It would be politically untenable.

Quote:
Yes, the good old days, when 60 percent of the people were poor, eight year olds worked in factories, people went to jail for $2 debts and the South had no electricity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte