Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 09:41 AM

416 posts, read 927,611 times

Advertisements

^ There are a lot of valid reasons for not putting in a high density residential area other than it being low cost housing. Traffic, sidewalks, public transportation, schools, surplus of available vacant housing/apts in the area, etc.

If people owning $180-$250k houses are yuppies, so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 09:54 AM

31 posts, read 60,218 times
Default Nativechief is a lawyer now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
NC law says you cant block low cost housing from an area just because you dont like it. They will soon build these homes. With homes stacked in there like cord wood already a few more wont make anything worse. ALL citizens should be able to enjoy this wonderful upscale select high dollar yuppy type area,and they soon will. Charlotte is great!
ALL citizens can enjoy this "wonderful upscale select high dollar yuppy type area," as you so unbiasedly put it. Anyone can buy, rent, or lease a house in the Ballantyne area, as I am not aware of any restrictions that prevent someone from spending money in Ballantyne. I know 60 year olds that live in Ballantyne, own modest homes, work very hard every day including commuting to uptown. I know 20 somethings that live in Ballantyne, rent apartments and work hard every day. I know police officers, teachers, nurses and other professionals that live in Ballantyne and work hard, every day. This community is diverse today. Ballantyne is a lot more than just Ballantyne CC, but people like Nativechief do not want to hear that.

I wonder who on this board is a plant from the CHA or Bowers MIHC organization? Maybe we should shut down this entire discussion, as we seem to be playing right into their hands.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:04 AM

21 posts, read 33,044 times
Pretty sure "developer" has been hanging out in Ballantyne...I think "he" was having lunch at McAlister's Deli on John Delaney last Friday...and he was meeting with someone..."he" was very edgy in looking around the whole time while meeting with the other "guy"...his face matches that of the one in the church crowd in both the NBC night news and on the Ballantyne Scoop video that was posted today...just a suspicion...sure he loves watching the tv cameras drive around...again, matches his facebook pic (if it's still there and he hasn't changed it yet)

Old 02-17-2010, 10:22 AM

21 posts, read 33,044 times
Nope...he hasn't changed that FB pic yet, still there with him, his three kids, his wife, and...SANTA CLAUS. Seriously. I bet you he thinks Ballantyne will be his Santa Claus (he's probably standing there pickin' old Santa's pocket, too). Well, we're not Whoville but he might seriously be growing green fur. Good day.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:27 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
I received a reply from the reporter on the story. He stated that Mr. Bowers told him of his affiliation. Here's a text of the email, all spelling and grammar errors are his, not mine. (Good reporting!):

Mr. Bowers lives in south Charlotte, if you check the map, though I'll assume it's not far south enough for your tastes. I checked his address on a map last night. He also turned up at a neighborhood meeting Monday on this topic, which is the only reason we spoke to him. He told me his affliation with that organization during a the interview, but i don't see that it means he can't comment on the issue. But again, i assume that you don't approve of his opinions or his group, hence you see some kind of plot.
As for having an agenda on affordable housing, I think i've written two stories related to the affordable housing issue in the past five years. That hardly counts as a campaign or an agenda.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:56 AM

Default Attacking the media cannot help the cause...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I received a reply from the reporter on the story. He stated that Mr. Bowers told him of his affiliation. Here's a text of the email, all spelling and grammar errors are his, not mine. (Good reporting!):

Mr. Bowers lives in south Charlotte, if you check the map, though I'll assume it's not far south enough for your tastes. I checked his address on a map last night. He also turned up at a neighborhood meeting Monday on this topic, which is the only reason we spoke to him. He told me his affliation with that organization during a the interview, but i don't see that it means he can't comment on the issue. But again, i assume that you don't approve of his opinions or his group, hence you see some kind of plot.
As for having an agenda on affordable housing, I think i've written two stories related to the affordable housing issue in the past five years. That hardly counts as a campaign or an agenda.

A challenge for people covering this story is that most people do not want to go on the record and oppose the re-zoning because they may be portrayed in a poor light. Perhaps the area HOA's should appoint a spokesperson and equip that person with a concise message that deals only with the specific challenges to the re-zoning from commercial to mixed use residential. The opposition needs a voice as well.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:11 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
I don't think that's true at all. If that's the case, why did hundreds of people show up at that meeting? Mark Price told me he conducted over 6 hours of interviews, yet the only quote he put in his article was from a guy with a hidden agenda who supported it. Oh, and he's the philanthropy reporter for the Observer, so his objectiveness should be in question as well.

I'm sure we need to move on to more productive ways of stopping this, but let this be a lesson to all that the media can't be trusted on this issue (well, any issue for that matter...), and they most definitely are on not on our side. BTW, Tom Bowers lives in Raintree. His wife's name is Rita and the house is under her name in the tax records if anyone cares to look it up.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:25 AM

416 posts, read 927,611 times
^ I figured.

No wonder Bowers is for this. The proposed site is 8 miles from his house in Raintree Country Club.

Just curious, anyone know how much Section 8 is in Raintree?

Old 02-17-2010, 11:30 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte99 View Post
I wonder who on this board is a plant from the CHA or Bowers MIHC organization? Maybe we should shut down this entire discussion, as we seem to be playing right into their hands.
I mentioned this several posts back: be careful what you post and say b/c this is a public forum and open to everyone to read.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:16 PM

Default Classic NIMBY by Bowers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
^ I figured.

No wonder Bowers is for this. The proposed site is 8 miles from his house in Raintree Country Club.

Just curious, anyone know how much Section 8 is in Raintree?
"Hello kettle, you are black," respecitvely from Mr. Kettle (aka Bowers)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte