Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 11:58 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxfan2980 View Post
It would such a better use of that land. We have two so-called "parks" in Ballatyne, and they are both just school playgrounds (YMCA and Elon Park elementary). An actual park, like Freedom park or Willam Davie, in that space would be wonderful. Picnic area, some playing fields, a dog-run, a walking trail. THAT's what we need in that area, NOT more housing or another drug store!
That is an EXCELLENT suggestion. There are literally no parks within walking distance of the Ballantyne area. I would love to have a nice safe place to walk, jog or ride a bike. Why are our elected officials not asking for our input/opinions? Can we circulate a petition against the rezoning proposal?

Last edited by businessperson; 02-19-2010 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 12:06 PM

12 posts, read 15,525 times
Default Does decentralizing low income housing effect crime?

Here's an article I dug up to ponder over.

BizzyBlog

Old 02-19-2010, 12:33 PM

416 posts, read 927,611 times
Maybe a stupid question, but who owns the land? My understanding is there are 2 developers involved...1 commercial developer who is responsible for the bank (and clearly does not want affordable housing next to his project), and Pappas who is wanting to build apartments. Any way of finding out how much the land cost them? When they purchased it?

Old 02-19-2010, 12:41 PM

55 posts, read 104,722 times
Okay I need to know where the CDOT numbers are coming from. I looked up the rezoning petition from a single residence to the daycare that's about a mile down from this proposed site and as a single residence they state the site could generate up to 40 trips a day. As a daycare they say it could generate up to 1,190 trips a day. This hasn't even impacted this road yet as the daycare isn't finished... so now we're added 1,190 cars from the daycare plus the 1,600 cars from the residential housing (which I still don't understand why it's less than commercial or whether or not they take into account time of day of the traffic).

The CDOT goes on to state that "Providence Road West is a major thoroughfare..." Seriously, and now we want to add high density housing... geez thanks.

I was against the rezoning of this land as well, however did not know the process like I do now. I'd like more information from CDOT to figure out where their numbers come from and what the so called "capacity" of Providence Rd. W is.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:45 PM

33 posts, read 47,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredoffighting View Post
Here's an article I dug up to ponder over.

BizzyBlog

"According to FBI data, America’s most dangerous spots are now places where Martin Scorsese would never think of staging a shoot-out—Florence, South Carolina; Charlotte-Mecklenburg, North Carolina; Kansas City, Missouri; Reading, Pennsylvania; Orlando, Florida; Memphis, Tennessee."

Gee look at that. Charlotte-Mecklenburg!!!! Maybe someone out to forward this article to the mayor.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomastt View Post
Okay I need to know where the CDOT numbers are coming from. I looked up the rezoning petition from a single residence to the daycare that's about a mile down from this proposed site and as a single residence they state the site could generate up to 40 trips a day. As a daycare they say it could generate up to 1,190 trips a day. This hasn't even impacted this road yet as the daycare isn't finished... so now we're added 1,190 cars from the daycare plus the 1,600 cars from the residential housing (which I still don't understand why it's less than commercial or whether or not they take into account time of day of the traffic).

The CDOT goes on to state that "Providence Road West is a major thoroughfare..." Seriously, and now we want to add high density housing... geez thanks.

I was against the rezoning of this land as well, however did not know the process like I do now. I'd like more information from CDOT to figure out where their numbers come from and what the so called "capacity" of Providence Rd. W is.

OKay I know I'm quoting myself, but the zoning committee actually voted to deny this zoning change from single family residential to a daycare... I'm wondering what happened that it went through.
Will there be a zoning committee recommendation for this high density housing and what weight does it hold over City Council (obviously not much)?

Old 02-19-2010, 01:16 PM

701 posts, read 1,428,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxfan2980 View Post
It would such a better use of that land. We have two so-called "parks" in Ballatyne, and they are both just school playgrounds (YMCA and Elon Park elementary). An actual park, like Freedom park or Willam Davie, in that space would be wonderful. Picnic area, some playing fields, a dog-run, a walking trail. THAT's what we need in that area, NOT more housing or another drug store!
Actually, there's much more to Elon Park than you realize. It has a state of the art soccer complex, two 18 hole disc golf courses (one pro and one amateur), a softball field, a rec center with indoor basketball court, picnic tables and nature trails. I realize this is off the main subject of the thread, but I use Elon Park all the time and I didn't want people to erroneously think that it wasn't a great resource.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:31 PM

I noticed CMS revised their recommendation. According to the new housing units (86), they are estimating 20 students will be added to the area. This still has Community House Middle over capacity. Then the disclaimer at the bottom states:
"Please note that this method of determining potential numbers of students from an area underestimates the number of students CMS may gain from the new development."
Why wouldn't they use something more reliable then?

Old 02-19-2010, 01:33 PM

Also did you read the Parks and Rec recommendations... it says that land is part of a connector for greenways... if only they'd take it over!

Old 02-19-2010, 01:50 PM

554 posts, read 1,507,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
That is an EXCELLENT suggestion. There are literally no parks within walking distance of the Ballantyne area. I would love to have a nice safe place to walk, jog or ride a bike. Why are our elected officials not asking for our input/opinions? Can we circulate a petition against the rezoning proposal?
That would be an excellent choice! but it's not going to happen anytime soon..they'd rather put the money into low income housing because they will look like a hero in the white house. Grr.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte