Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 07:00 PM

554 posts, read 1,507,250 times

Advertisements

I would still like to see a park go there...but its probably a long shot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 05:52 AM

841 posts, read 1,431,454 times
I, for one, am sick and tired of the piling on by the Charlotte Observer on this issue. I get editors - you hate Ballantyne for not supporting the public housing plan. Would it kill you to tell both sides of the issue?

Old 02-25-2010, 06:05 AM

55 posts, read 104,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
I, for one, am sick and tired of the piling on by the Charlotte Observer on this issue. I get editors - you hate Ballantyne for not supporting the public housing plan. Would it kill you to tell both sides of the issue?
I'll be writing in about this most recent one... what a load of bull. Yes, let's spend 130K-150K on each apartment unit even though you could buy a townhome or 4 bedroom home (oh yes in my neighborhood) for that same price and it's on the same exact street. I'm so glad this Tommy guy did his research unlike the other reporters...oh wait.... he didn't

Old 02-25-2010, 08:34 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Is public housing Ballantyne's IOU? - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/02/25/1270342/is-public-housing-ballantynes.html - broken link)

is this the article you are referring to?

Old 02-25-2010, 09:31 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
The point our boy Tommy seems to forget is that city planners and council members approved the Balantyne Development plan, including the zoning.

Coming back at this date and whining about how tax payer money was spent to develop the area is not only disingenous, it is patently misleading.

The folks who bought there did nothing more than buy there. They didn't design the layout of that segment of MECK and they didn't propose the zoning.

If city planners wanted to zone for affordable housing, they should have done that upfront.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:41 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
He is not being even being coherent. He suggests that Johnny Harris "gave" the land for the roads to make that work. Without those roads, Ballentyne would have not happened. It's a laughable article at best especially the suggestion that Ballentyne must somehow "pay" for this by accepting public housing. Public housing, that was thrown together in some kind of deal with developers that made Ballentyine possible in the first place.

I don't usually bother to read Tommy's nonsense when I even bother to read the Observer now. This is a perfect reason why. It's juvenile and not based on any of the real issues.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:46 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
He is not being even being coherent. He suggests that Johnny Harris "gave" the land for the roads to make that work. Without those roads, Ballentyne would have not happened. It's a laughable article at best especially the suggestion that Ballentyne must somehow "pay" for this by accepting public housing. Public housing, that was thrown together in some kind of deal with developers that made Ballentyine possible in the first place.

I don't usually bother to read Tommy's nonsense when I even bother to read the Observer now. This is a perfect reason why. It's juvenile and not based on any of the real issues.
Agree.

If anything, this boondoggle with the zoning issue and the particular developers involved in the proposed project actually points out how INEFFICIENT and perhaps even how much enurement (and certainly - INEPTITUDE) has occurred for years in various city/county departments.

I believe a much more pertinent editorial would speak to THOSE issues.

I could get on a roll with that subject . . . if one wishes to talk about how tax money has been poorly commissioned throughout CHARMECK; how infrastructure has been poorly managed; how planners and commissioners and council members have rubberstamped that mismanagement and poor planning . . . etc. etc.

Why doesn't anyone at that newspaper dig into THOSE issues.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:16 AM

416 posts, read 927,611 times
Class warfare articles generate more controversy, thus more papers sold and more hits for The Observer online.

Best thing you can do is ignore Tommy and The Observer. Newspapers are dead anyways.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:29 PM

841 posts, read 1,431,454 times
And yet another Observer column ripping Ballantyne. They have lost their minds over this:

The Naked City: Ballantyne 'affordable housing'? It was there at the start

Old 02-25-2010, 05:25 PM

55 posts, read 104,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
And yet another Observer column ripping Ballantyne. They have lost their minds over this:

The Naked City: Ballantyne 'affordable housing'? It was there at the start
What really pisses me off is that the sketchy developer and the CHA are getting away with who knows what since everyone is so mad at Ballantyne residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte