U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-26-2010, 07:58 AM

1,441 posts, read 3,583,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
“North Carolina has a state law that makes affordable housing a protected class.” - you got to love that line. Let's save that one for down the road.

Yep - they are hellbent on it, aren't they? I think the Observer's class warfare campaign this week after the fact was to simply lay the groundwork for more of the same when housing is brought to the Ballantyne agenda yet again... and soon.

I am certain that there is a very specific agenda at play here and it has nothing to do with taking care of the impoverished.
I read that this law was passed in October 2009 by Bev Perdue. If we get her out of office next term maybe we could get someone in who will repeal it. There is no reason in the world why people should be in a protected class simply due to income. If that's the case, then an employer would be REQUIRED to hire someone simply because they don't have a job. We need to rein in "Political Correctness". It has gotten way out of hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 08:05 AM

4,010 posts, read 5,985,563 times
I've read that law and I think it has constitutional issues that are going to end up getting challenged in court. The first is that it seeks to re-define discrimination due to having nothing more than thoughts on the matter. This would violate a number of US Constitutional requirements regarding free speech, due process, right to privacy, etc. etc. I am not even sure if a state can even create a protected class of people based on nothing more than income.

Second it puts the burden of proof on wrong doing of the accused and not the accuser. This alone is enough to invalidate it. It's too bad that not one of the local city commissioners have spoken out on this issue and have chosen instead to use the law, as broken as it is, to hide from taking any responsibility on the matter. Never mind that in today's paper there is an article that dams the leadership of the housing authority, the authority the commissioners are responsible for, for a bunch of business ethics failures and conflicts of interest related to this matter. Not a peep from these commissioners or for that matter the Mayor.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:17 AM

841 posts, read 818,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I've read that law and I think it has constitutional issues that are going to end up getting challenged in court. The first is that it seeks to re-define discrimination due to having nothing more than thoughts on the matter. This would violate a number of US Constitutional requirements regarding free speech, due process, right to privacy, etc. etc. I am not even sure if a state can even create a protected class of people based on nothing more than income.

Second it puts the burden of proof on wrong doing of the accused and not the accuser. This alone is enough to invalidate it. It's too bad that not one of the local city commissioners have spoken out on this issue and have chosen instead to use the law, as broken as it is, to hide from taking any responsibility on the matter. Never mind that in today's paper there is an article that dams the leadership of the housing authority, the authority the commissioners are responsible for, for a bunch of business ethics failures and conflicts of interest related to this matter. Not a peep from these commissioners or for that matter the Mayor.
Heck, this is the Mayor's primary objective during his tenure and he's publicly stated that fact.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:24 AM

2,193 posts, read 3,227,648 times
Are there any statistics on the existing affordable housing projects that are all over Charlotte? Such as if crime went up after they were built. If so, how much? Next, how many of the tenants actually work and how many hours a week they work? Also, how many of them had a background check to ensure they haven't committed any crimes?

If there aren't any, how do we go about finding this out?

Old 02-26-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Are there any statistics on the existing affordable housing projects that are all over Charlotte? Such as if crime went up after they were built. If so, how much? Next, how many of the tenants actually work and how many hours a week they work? Also, how many of them had a background check to ensure they haven't committed any crimes?

Unfortunately, I don't think the powers that are pushing this give a wit about the crime statistics - they know what they are. The agenda here is a form of liberal social engineering.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:39 AM

2,193 posts, read 3,227,648 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't think the powers that are pushing this give a wit about the crime statistics - they know what they are. The agenda here is a form of liberal social engineering.
Then I think it's up to us to find this information out with some objectivity. I for one, would like to know the truth rather than being spoon fed nonsence by the housing authority with their bias towards affordable housing.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Then I think it's up to us to find this information out with some objectivity. I for one, would like to know the truth rather than being spoon fed nonsence by the housing authority with their bias towards affordable housing.
My concern is that even armed with the statistics no one is going to listen. There's an agenda at play here and all of the statistics in the world are just going to be met with cries of "NIMBY!!!" and worse.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:45 AM

554 posts, read 853,905 times
I just LOVE how everyone is still not addressing the issue here. Most want to waste their time worrying about how Ballantyne's fellow residents are "racist" or "elitist snobs" but don't want to look at the corruption of the politicians in Charlotte. Umm hello, seriously?! I think we have biger fish to fry. There are bigger issues than just your opinion of Ballantyne's residents.....which has been discussed over and over and over again - the ballantyne residents have many VALID reasons for it not wanting to come here, please leave "diversity" out of it, its getting quite redundant and annoying to hear it after time and time again we have screamed that we could careless about that situation....and even worse, the article by Tommy just makes me laugh. How does this guy have a job at the Observer - he is talking out his a$$....his "information" on this matter is weak and maybe if he wrote on more important things like the fact that this whole deal with shady from the start he'd build some rapport. I think we should all be able to write in the observer because the biggest issue of all is clearly not being addressed....

on another note, here's another "interesting" article....
Agency: Ballantyne developer wasn't qualified - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/02/26/1273575/agency-developer-wasnt-qualified.html - broken link)

Old 02-26-2010, 03:20 PM

55 posts, read 61,540 times
Quote:
Agency: Ballantyne developer wasn't qualified - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/02/26/1273575/agency-developer-wasnt-qualified.html?pageNum=2&mi_pluck_action=page_nav# Comments_Container - broken link)
Did anybody see (or write) this comment in response to the article? - I love it.

jwbates wrote on 02/26/2010 08:28:26 AM:
Nice job Charlotte Observer. This article is pretty much verbatim what was brought up at the public rezoning meeting last Monday. If your reporters weren't so busy trying to turn this issue into class warfare, and did their homework, you wouldn't get scooped by a few HOA's. Not only that, but you throw a few more digs in against Ballantyne this week before finally getting around to publishing this article. This is old news.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:55 PM

35,579 posts, read 43,835,802 times
Quote:

Sheenie - just dropping in for a few moments. I have spent around 12 hours so far, trying to put this info together, and I am frankly hitting walls every way I turn.

The last figure I saw was from 2005 and stated that about 16,000 folks in Charlotte needed "affordable housing." But I got that second hand - and no source was cited. I have gone thru/ HUD applications . . . minutes of various organizations . . . all sorts of advocacy group info - trying to find out how many people actually have vouchers here, for example - how many folks qualify for affordable housing . . . how many folks have BROUGHT vouchers here from other locations (NYC is one of the most popular places to relocate from w/ a voucher - no surprise, I suppose - high COL).

I have tried to find out total $$$ by year, by project . . . have tried to find out what HOPE VI grants CLT has rec'd and how much they got for each one, sifting thru/ amended contracts . . . trying to find some way to track how much money has come into this city from various organizations. Millions and Millions of dollars. But finding the documents I need - which SHOULD be readily available - or even what to request - has been sheer hell. I feel it is all very veiled so that it is nearly impossible to track actual information.

I can't even file FIA requests b/c I can't figure out WHAT TO ASK FOR!!!

For example . . . there should be an accounting, per state, per city, for every voucher. Heck, I would think - per zip code. Where do I find that? And every person who has a voucher and then transfers it to Charlotte, that should be tracked. But where?

Remember - folks who get a voucher in one city can keep the SAME AMOUNT of that voucher when they relocate. At least, that is what I have been told. That is why so many folks come south - they get these much larger amounts on vouchers in NYC - and then come to Charlotte - and get more bang for the buck. Someone correct me if I am wrong!

Also, there is supposed to be this work program in place, yet even when the city is aware that folks are NOT working, no one is willing to turn folks in.

And evidently, there IS availability in apartments here - but they are old and so no one will even apply to rent them. Now, that is what I got from some 2007 info, so I have no idea if that was a temporary situation or what. You can imagine that w/ the economic downturn, there are even MORE folks out of work.

In addition, there are numerous programs throughout the city/county/region that get United Way $$, as well as federal dollars, to provide "assistance" to "low income" people. There are even programs to give housing, job training, counseling, etc. to people when they are released from prison and it doesn't appear to matter how many times they have been released (in other words, repeat offenders). And there are all sorts of daycare reimbursement plans and vouchers, etc. etc.

It seems to me that one group of demographics here in this city is getting a LOT of help. A LOT - especially if it is a single mother w/ kids. Then you go up one tier - to COUPLES who are making more money but have several children, and there may be NOTHING available except possibly medicaid for the children.

Something is very very wrong with this picture.

I also discovered that there is a program out there for folks who bought houses they can't afford - a special loan program - where you get a new loan at 0%. But you can't qualify unless some agency decides you were essentially "tricked" into getting a loan you couldn't qualify for originally. Doesn't seem to matter if it was for a $500K house, lol. Dang.

Of course, I am having trouble laying my hands on actual documents, so I never know if what I am reading is factual or accurate.

You would not believe how many billion $$ has been granted to HUD since Obama came into office - and for anyone who thinks I am politicizing it - let me assure you - it could not have been more politicized on the documents where I read the figures. Heads of departments and agencies were puffing the fact that Pres. Obama had their backs, and Pres Obama was really looking out for folks now, etc. etc. So I am merely passing on the language these bureaucrats have used in describing their grand bounty of federal dollars that were now theirs to disburse to the thronging masses (well, to very specific demographics of the thronging masses).

I have spent so much time searching and feel I have found very little real info . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte