Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 10:10 AM

841 posts, read 1,431,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That is what I am noticing, too. Can't believe this has somehow been morphed into their having the "right" to live wherever they want to live - and doing it all on Federal dollars, lol. Convoluted thinking as to the "rights" of folks whose lifestyles are being subsidized by tax dollars.
And all under the guise of altruism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 10:11 AM

68 posts, read 108,517 times
Quote:
That is what I am noticing, too. Can't believe this has somehow been morphed into their having the "right" to live wherever they want to live - and doing it all on Federal dollars, lol. Convoluted thinking as to the "rights" of folks whose lifestyles are being subsidized by tax dollars.
It feels like I moved form MA, USA into a whole different world...

Old 03-02-2010, 10:20 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leksi View Post
It feels like I moved form MA, USA into a whole different world...
Leski, don't feel bad. We all are confused. As Lowercountry said . . . they have couched this concept of affordable housing under "altruism" and anyone who protests is portrayed as a selfish elitist, even tho folks in Ballantyne fit the demographic for the most charitable giving of any slice of the American public.

Amazing how people whose rent is being underwritten by someone else feel they have any rights at all. You would think they would just be grateful for having a roof over their heads - until such time as they could get on their feet and do more for themselves.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:52 AM

Please sift through this info f/ HUD. You will be shocked at how much money the federal gov't is handing out - when our treasury is belly up! It is unbelievable. And who can sift through all this info? Organizations such as ACORN are out there, educating the demographic that qualifies. But the rest of us are sitting here - totally unaware - how dollars are being spent.

See what you can glean. It is all very difficult to sift through.

CPD Program and Initiative Index - CPD - HUD

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

This Administration has opened the flood gates w/ money flowing into HUD at unbelievable levels.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:55 AM

How about this program? Have you ever heard of this one? Did you know you can convert your public housing voucher to a voucher that pays for your mortgage? They even have programs that allow a public housing recipient to continue getting the vouchers while out of work so their mortgages are paid.

Has the federal government helped you pay your mortgage while you are out of work?

Dig on this stuff. It isn't just "affordable housing" in the form of apartments.

YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK! Only - they aren't at work to help YOU.

Homeownership - Public Housing - HUD

Helping Public Housing Residents Buy Homes

HUD wants to help public housing residents become homeowners! If you're a public housing resident, you may be able to convert your rent into a mortgage payment. Contact your local public housing agency for details.
Programs and Vouchers

Public Housing Homeownership Programs
A Public Housing Authority (PHA) may sell all, or a portion of, a public housing development to eligible residents or resident organizations, for purposes of homeownership.

Homeownership Vouchers
Assist first-time homeowners with their monthly homeownership expenses.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:04 PM

830 posts, read 1,529,664 times
Quote:
Please sift through this info f/ HUD. You will be shocked at how much money the federal gov't is handing out - when our treasury is belly up! It is unbelievable. And who can sift through all this info? Organizations such as ACORN are out there, educating the demographic that qualifies. But the rest of us are sitting here - totally unaware - how dollars are being spent.

See what you can glean. It is all very difficult to sift through.

CPD Program and Initiative Index - CPD - HUD

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

This Administration has opened the flood gates w/ money flowing into HUD at unbelievable levels.
I know you take every opportunity to try and bash this administration, but where is the basis for this assertion?

As early as 2002, the Bush administration was increasing HUD funding - to the tune of 7% for FY2003, with a major goal of increasing home ownership.

In FY2005, for example...

* Housing Counseling. The President’s spending plan includes a record $45 million to support 550,000 families with home purchase and homeownership counseling and about 250,000 families with rental counseling. In the past three years, the Bush Administration has more than doubled funding to this program.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:26 PM

Money has been approved for HUD and related agencies at unprecedented rates under this Administration for special programs, many of which have been expanded greatly. Of course other Administrations have approved money for HUD - the program has been in effect since 1937!!

Old 03-02-2010, 01:53 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
^^^^^Maybe that's what they meant by CHANGE? Change as in more money for these programs. I dunno b/c..... well that's for another forum.
lol

Old 03-02-2010, 02:42 PM

33 posts, read 47,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
I'm not playing "Devil's advocate" at all. Ani said that. Oh, btw, I'm not playing God either. Carry on, I'm interested to hear what your cutoff plan is on the amount of children one should have. I had my first little child (girl) when I was 22 y.o. Didn't have a pan to pee pee in. If you would like to know what she does today, who she is...dm me and I might tell you, or.....maybe not as I don't like you so far.
Pink Caddy- I am not saying a i have a plan to cut off having children, as there is none, unless we live in China. I'm happy to hear you were able to overcome your situation and raise a successful and self-sufficient child, but I really don't care what she does or who she is, nor do I care at all if you like me or not. This is a internet forum, really not trying to make friends on here. My point is this- there are alot of people out there who continue to have children when they cannot afford them. I am not talking about a 22 year old who has an unplanned pregnancy. I'm talking about people who CONTINUE to have children when they cannot provide stable and safe environments for them. It's wrong and its unfair to expect the rest of America to support them.

And someone else asked "what are you supposed to do, take families off welfare if they have more kids???" YES!!! IT's VERY EASY TO PREVENT PREGNANCY. I would bet if we had a law in place that stated as long as you were collecting welfare and food stamps you could not add to the number of people in your family from the time you entered the program, INSTEAD OF INCREASING THE AMOUNT YOU GET, a lot of people wouldn't have any problem figuring out how to use birth control! It's not fair to the rest of American taxpayers to have to take care of the children you bring into the world.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:41 PM

841 posts, read 1,431,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
I know you take every opportunity to try and bash this administration...
Personally I couldn't care any less who did it. Pointing fingers and saying, in effect, "Hey! He did it too!" is pointless and playground fodder.

The point is if we do not rein in spending soon at the federal level we'll all be pointing fingers at who was steering when the Titanic hit the iceberg; and, in the end, it won't matter much because we'll all be drowning regardless of who was captain.

Entitlement programs in our country are soon going to be the iceberg. Imagine the mess we'll be in when our country can no longer pay out entitlements (or anything else for that matter). It will likely happen with a sudden collapse of the entire system (see the former Soviet Union's rapid fall). I shudder to imagine the rioting in the streets we would see on that day when suddenly those under entitlements are really going hungry because the federal government can no longer sustain them.

I actually have nightmares about a time like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte