U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 7,109 times

Advertisements

we very recently moved to Waxhaw from a community south of Pittsburgh PA. My 12 yr. old is in 7th grade at Cuthbertson middle school. She is BORED out of her mind.In her previous middle school, she was in an 8th grade math class, language arts enrichment, science enrichment. She scored above average on all state tests. .Upon enrolling at CMS< I attempted to have her placed in similar classes. Our school at home was a 10/10 on "great schools.com". I was told she would have to test for higher math placement. Did very well for walking in cold, but didn't make the "required 95%." After several conversations w/ adm. and my daughter asking to be in the "higher math", she was put into a regular 7th grade math class. after listening to her cry,not only about leaving her friends, living in "cow country" ruining her life etc...she was crying about school. The next day staff did agree to move her to a slightly higher math class. She is still bored. She is also studying material that she learned last year. My 16 yr. old,who despises school anyway, no matter where she is,and has the grades to prove it, is going through the same thing. She is studying everything she already learned in 9th grade,and that's not saying much,since school usually got in the way of her social life. I told her she get straight A's then. My 2nd grader who doesn't have alot to say about anything, is learning what he had in 1st grade and the 1st 1/2 of this school year. All this being said.....Does anyone out there know anything about the CHS and CMS? Is there just a huge difference between the states? Why are they so intent on not letting out of state kids go into classes where they can learn and continue to be challenged and not bored?Is it true that CHS has no homecoming or prom? We are only renting for a year. I dont know if we will stay at the Cuthbertson schools. Are they just too new?Will it all "fall into place eventually"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 12:57 PM

21,961 posts, read 27,242,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac86 View Post
we very recently moved to Waxhaw from a community south of Pittsburgh PA. My 12 yr. old is in 7th grade at Cuthbertson middle school. She is BORED out of her mind.In her previous middle school, she was in an 8th grade math class, language arts enrichment, science enrichment. She scored above average on all state tests. .Upon enrolling at CMS< I attempted to have her placed in similar classes. Our school at home was a 10/10 on "great schools.com". I was told she would have to test for higher math placement. Did very well for walking in cold, but didn't make the "required 95%." After several conversations w/ adm. and my daughter asking to be in the "higher math", she was put into a regular 7th grade math class. after listening to her cry,not only about leaving her friends, living in "cow country" ruining her life etc...she was crying about school. The next day staff did agree to move her to a slightly higher math class. She is still bored. She is also studying material that she learned last year. My 16 yr. old,who despises school anyway, no matter where she is,and has the grades to prove it, is going through the same thing. She is studying everything she already learned in 9th grade,and that's not saying much,since school usually got in the way of her social life. I told her she get straight A's then. My 2nd grader who doesn't have alot to say about anything, is learning what he had in 1st grade and the 1st 1/2 of this school year. All this being said.....Does anyone out there know anything about the CHS and CMS? Is there just a huge difference between the states? Why are they so intent on not letting out of state kids go into classes where they can learn and continue to be challenged and not bored?Is it true that CHS has no homecoming or prom? We are only renting for a year. I dont know if we will stay at the Cuthbertson schools. Are they just too new?Will it all "fall into place eventually"?
Can you afford private schools?

Old 02-05-2010, 01:52 PM

223 posts, read 472,140 times
One thing to consider, and I know it doesn't help, is that there is not a Nationalized curriculum. When I was a teacher, I often heard parents complain that the students were learning something that they learned last year in another state. They thought that it was because of a slower paced curriculum and that is not the case. Because each state sets it's own course standards, it doesn't matter what state you move to, there will be discrepancy and overlap with subject content. It would be nice if each state was streamlined for each grade and content area, but it is not. I know that in PA science content is broken up by subject as in life science, space science, and physical science by grade level. In NC the content for each of the respected science, in middle school anyway, is distributed in pieces throughout each grade. When you cross the border in SC they have different content standards as well, and they do not even match NC.

What is taught in the schools is dictated by the state, so the content would be the same no matter what school you went to in NC, although the way the material is presented may differ. I know that Cuthbertson is a new school, but they are teaching what NC says to teach for each of the respected grade levels. You may just have to wait it out.....and it will fall into place.

The Charlotte area is so transient that if they were to let every kid from out of state move to another curriculum, scheduling would be a three ring circus. Again the content would not be different in a private school, but that is an option if you are looking at another form of delivery.

I would tell your kids to earn the highest grades they can, so that they can be placed in higher level classes next year. Especially your 7th grader who is bored in math, if she scores high enough she can take geometry next year and be ahead of the game for high school

Old 02-05-2010, 02:17 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,741,524 times
I looked up the PA 8th grade curriculum and it is very similar to what is being taught in NC in the 8th grade. There are a number of unique items taught in 7th that are not taught in 8th, so your child should find some challenge.

You can view the NC math standards at the following link:

NC Standard Course of Study

I don't buy in a lot to the "bored child" syndrome. On the face of it, life is boring. You need to excel across the board to succeed. I guess there is a very fine line between "bored" and "I don't want to." And I guess I am not a very sympathetic listener about this either. I am sorry.

Having stated that you might check to see if your child's math teacher is using a computer based program, Accelerated Math. If so, possibly he or she could add extra objectives from either the 8th grade (pre-algebra) or the algebra list to keep your child occupied.

Good luck.

lln

Old 02-05-2010, 03:06 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,447,979 times
Is your concern grade level placement or curriculum? I'm a little confused. If across-the-board children were permitted to partake in curriculum not designated for their grade level, that would be very difficult to administer in a typical public school setting. If your children need more challenging curriculum, they can be tested for the AIG program, or perhaps consider homeschooling or a private school with the curriculum you desire.

Also, in your own words, you've described children very lacking in motivation right now. Sounds like they've been upset by their move but try helping them adjust to their current situations. They could have very well-rounded, enjoyable academic and social lives, with some encouragement. Sometimes an attitude adjustment, is all that's required. Try not to feed into their negativity, which is probably difficult with the 12 and 16-year-old but definitely feasible!

From what I've witnessed, Cuthbertson Middle and Cuthbertson High are very desirable schools. The community of parents is very involved, overall, the academics are on par or above the rest of the state, the faculty is dedicated, the facilities are beautiful, and there's a wide range of clubs and sports for your children to join. There is no shortage of school spirit at the Cuthbertson schools. I've been to enough functions to witness the excitement by students and parents!

You can always have your children assessed for AIG. We didn't meet any resistance from UCPS when we moved out of state and requested testing for our child. And we overall like the versatility offered by this track. UCPS also has specialized schools that might offer what you're looking for: Union Academy (by lottery), Union County Early College Program and Central Academy of Technology & Arts.

And of course, CHS has a prom. It's listed on the calendar, which is posted on the Internet - April 30, 2010.

Good luck with your children!

Old 02-05-2010, 03:09 PM

364 posts, read 1,043,999 times
I will add that the curriculum seems very cyclical. In my MA classes the same topics I teach in 6th grade are also covered in 1st and 3rd- just a different levels. It may help to conference with your child's teachers and talk about the situation. Most teachers I know have resources available for students of all abilities. It is not uncommon for students to be ahead or behind the 'average'. Talk with the teachers about what enrichment opportunities they have in their classroom. In my experience I hear from parents, "My kids is bored." Then when I show them all that is available for the class that their child is not participating in, I never hear from them again. :-)

Old 02-05-2010, 03:30 PM

21,961 posts, read 27,242,088 times
I ran into the exact same situation in the 1960s, when my family moved from Michigan to NJ. Worse, the school that I had attended had 2 grades per class & most of the classes were shared. As a result, in 7th grade, my class had used 8th grade text books & in 8th grade we were slated to get the 7th grade books. I was in a parochial school in Michigan & was put in one in NJ. I ended up with the same exact textbooks for most of the classes. Talk about bored! After 6 weeks of this, my mother decided that this was ridiculous. I had been in parochial school because they were better than the public schools. She had found out that there was nothing wrong with the public schools, in NJ, so I was pulled out of the parochial school & put in a public school. The material covered was, basically, the same, but the books were different & I was no longer bored.

If you can afford private schools, I would consider it, in your situation. I would talk to the public school teachers & if you can afford private school, I would talk to teachers there. It's possible that a change would help.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:40 PM

999 posts, read 4,258,149 times
You've gotten some great advice, so I won't repeat.
Not to discount your children's boredom, I had a bored daughter and it was awful. However, could some of their boredom issues stem from simply being a bit unhappy about the move still, not getting a feel for the curriculum yet. You said very recently, so I don't know how much time they've been in school, but my daughter was talking about one of her classes a short while ago and how she was so bored... a doodle on her page of notes was something like "I'm so bored I would rather eat dirt". Then the next unit got difficult again.
There are different pathways for entrance to AIG programs, see here:
http://aig.ucps.k12.nc.us/documents/...tification.pdf
which do not require that high of a score on the aptitude testing, but relies on a lower bar there combined with other things (like end of grade standard tests, class grades, etc). That may be an option, if not for this year, but certainly for next year.

Good luck, I hope you find what is best for your children.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:09 PM

540 posts, read 1,522,352 times
if they dont have prom or homecoming at CHS it's only because they are a brand new school, 1st year open and have no senior class.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:34 PM

3 posts, read 7,109 times
Thanks for all of the advice.I am sure it will all fall into place.I did talk to them about the end of the year placement tests. Also you are all right..there is always something more to learn if they want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte