U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 07:56 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,724,235 times

Advertisements

I was driving around yesterday (Saturday) sight seeing. I turned down Bruton Smith Blvd. on my way to Concord Mills after viewing the racetrack and ran into a traffic nightmare. It took 30 minutes to get to the traffic light at Weddington Ave. After the traffic light, there was backed up traffic coming off of I-85 and everywhere you looked. Is this normal for Saturday? It took about 20 minutes to turn around and head back in the direction from which I came. Are all of those people going to the mall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 08:46 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,312,146 times
"Bruton Smith Blvd"? Never heard of it! Now, traffic on Speedway Blvd- that's a bear!! In spite of a tanking economy, there's never a shortage of traffic around Concord Mills. Personally, my family likes to go to Bass Pro, and watch the fish. We also have fun walking around the perimeter, people watching and looking at the various booths. The only time you can go to that area and not have a ton of traffic is after mall hours.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:09 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,724,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
"Bruton Smith Blvd"? Never heard of it! Now, traffic on Speedway Blvd- that's a bear!! In spite of a tanking economy, there's never a shortage of traffic around Concord Mills. Personally, my family likes to go to Bass Pro, and watch the fish. We also have fun walking around the perimeter, people watching and looking at the various booths. The only time you can go to that area and not have a ton of traffic is after mall hours.
It is the road that runs past the drag strip from the race track. I thought I remembered seeing Bruton Smith, but you are probably right with the name. I have gone to the mall and have even driven down the same road during the week without any problems. I was just curious if traffic was always that horrible on Saturdays. There may have been something special going on. Thanks.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:27 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,469,751 times
If you really want to see terrible traffic drive it on the day of a race.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:27 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,312,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
It is the road that runs past the drag strip from the race track. I thought I remembered seeing Bruton Smith, but you are probably right with the name. I have gone to the mall and have even driven down the same road during the week without any problems. I was just curious if traffic was always that horrible on Saturdays. There may have been something special going on. Thanks.
Sorry, I was being tongue-in-cheek. It is now called "Bruton Smith Blvd", but I refuse to call it that because they guy is nothing more than a spoiled, rich bully in my mind. Yes, Saturdays are always like that over there. It usually starts around the Toyota dealer and goes all the way to Odell School Rd. If you're going to Concord Mills, Odell School Rd and in the back way is usually the fastest route, by far.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:34 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,920,215 times
I think the traffic light is too short. Every time I drive from the racetrack towards I-85 I get stuck in traffic.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:32 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,285,037 times
Quote:
Sorry, I was being tongue-in-cheek. It is now called "Bruton Smith Blvd", but I refuse to call it that because they guy is nothing more than a spoiled, rich bully in my mind. Yes, Saturdays are always like that over there. It usually starts around the Toyota dealer and goes all the way to Odell School Rd. If you're going to Concord Mills, Odell School Rd and in the back way is usually the fastest route, by far.

Or winding down Weddington, a left at Pittschool, wind that road to the left at Poplar Tent and a left at Derita/Odell School. Either way it beats the hell out of dealing with the traffic on the stretch every weekend. I've seen it start to approach the Tom Johnson RV place at times. Just brutal.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:19 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
Quote:
Hoagie, I thought of you this weekend, since we have had this Bruton Smith Blvd discussion in the past.

Hubby and I were watching TV and an ad came on for some shop on that stretch of Road and hubby said - HUH? Smith Blvd?

And I thought - where the heck is Smith Blvd? And then it hit me! Folks are just dropping the "Bruton" off . . . and referring to it as "Smith Blvd."

I started laughing when I realized that and told my hubby . . . I gotta remember to let Hoagie know that folks are solving their distaste by dropping ole Bruton's name right off the address . . .

As for crowding - I have never been up there when there isn't a steady stream of traffic. You would think that was the crossroads of the universe, when it was just a quiet bucolic landscape only a matter of years ago . . .

Old 02-09-2010, 11:03 AM

78 posts, read 200,861 times
Dropping the Bruton off the street name is a GREAT IDEA !!! We need to pass that info along to everyone we meet !!

I wonder if we can get google maps to change it also.......

Also I go to the mall on Tuesday mornings Traffic is light and breezy.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,462 times
every one needs to stop the negative thoughts about bruton smith. Because if it wasn't for him and his race tracks concord would never be put on the map. you people need to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or