Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:11 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times

Advertisements

How come no one mentioned doing the politically incorrect thing of sending illegal immigrants back to where they came from? How many are actually working here? 5 million? Sounds like a lot of jobs doesn't it?

I don't buy the argument that citizens won't do the work they do....if your desperate you'll do anything and people right now are desperate.....

Old 02-11-2010, 01:53 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
How come no one mentioned doing the politically incorrect thing of sending illegal immigrants back to where they came from? How many are actually working here? 5 million? Sounds like a lot of jobs doesn't it?

I don't buy the argument that citizens won't do the work they do....if your desperate you'll do anything and people right now are desperate.....
I've been seeing a lot of posts online stating that illegal immigrants, especially Mexicans, were returning home to Mexico in huge numbers. Your question made me think about this again - and so I researched it.

Turns out that is NOT the case. According to this article in the WSJ, most folks are staying here, preferring to wait things out - and thinking that the Obama Admin is gonna do something (I guess - amnesty of some sort?) to make it easier for them to stay here legally (or get citizenship).

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124830603836573915.html

So there goes that theory (that illegal immigrants are leaving).

That means that indeed, many of us are competing with illegal immigrants for jobs. I never see a crew of guys repairing roofs who are not hispanic/latino/mexican. And rarely do I see landscaping crews who are caucasian or black - they always seem to be hispanic/latino/mexico. But on the other hand, this time of year, I don't see as many of either of those laborers as I did when it was warm. So I guess we will see who is on top of roofs and pushing lawnmowers this summer. I suspect it won't be black and white folks, as business owners take advantage of a person's illegal status and can get away with paying low wages.

However, I know plenty of folks (including college kids) who would be happy to do some outdoor labor for low wages, cause they cannot find ANY job at all - at any price.

I think your question is valid . . . the latest estimates I saw from Pew put the illegal immigrant population at about 11.5 million, if I remember correctly.

ETA: And yes, for readers who are inclined to nit-pick . . . I am fully aware that all illegal immigrants are not necessarily hispanic/latino/mexican and I am also aware that just b/c someone is hispanic/latino/mexican, it doesn't mean they are necessarily illegal immigrants. I am just stating what I have observed. I notice these things b/c I refuse to hire a business owner who is employing folks who are illegal, as I believe it is a contemporary equivalent to slave labor and it is immoral to take advantage of other human beings that way.

Last edited by brokensky; 02-11-2010 at 02:28 PM..

Old 02-11-2010, 02:28 PM

530 posts, read 1,181,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
No lumbollo wrote this. Did Ron Paul start posting in the CLT forum? Maybe you would want to comment on what was actually posted instead of wasting time on yet another one-liner.
Sorry to offend. I'm actually a Ron Paul supporter.. wish he was posting here...

Old 02-11-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
From what you wrote, one might ascertain you are for government handouts, you believe busy work is a highly valued commodity and most of all - you believe whatever government officials tell you.
I'm for the government helping out in situations like this.. the rest of your post above is pretty much exaggeration... Anyone who has read my posts knows I'm anti-government for the most part and am pretty disappointed with most that they do.

"Busy work" is your way of diminishing the value. These people are only working for 8-12 dollars here, what do you want from them? 3 years ago you could MAYBE... BARELY hire someone to do that job for that price. Office assistants and phone receptionists that were worth anything at all STARTED at $12hr.. +benefits...

I'm not saying it's a "high valued commodity", not even close. Show me a post that suggests such. On the otherhand, you're saying it's worthless which in my opinion is a very Elitist perspective. I try not to look down on the less fortunate.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:

I agree to some extent. There are situations though where I can see that reasoning coming into play.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:

I agree to some extent. There are situations though where I can see that reasoning coming into play.

I've known many to go back to Mexico where they'll wait until the US economy is going again.. I also know many that have stayed. Some are working steady, some are picking up small jobs hear and there.

But there are Mexican's returning to Mexico at least. I have first hand knowledge of that. In the contracting feild you know plenty of imigrant workers.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:44 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Turns out that is NOT the case. According to this article in the WSJ, most folks are staying here, preferring to wait things out - and thinking that the Obama Admin is gonna do something (I guess - amnesty of some sort?) to make it easier for them to stay here legally (or get citizenship)......
Their babies born here are US citizens as the law is written and thus are available for all the handout programs. There is nothing for them to go back to in Mexico so this is why they stay.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:03 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post

I've known many to go back to Mexico where they'll wait until the US economy is going again.. I also know many that have stayed. Some are working steady, some are picking up small jobs hear and there.

But there are Mexican's returning to Mexico at least. I have first hand knowledge of that. In the contracting feild you know plenty of imigrant workers.
So let me get this straight. Its ok for someone who is breaking the law and here illegally to decide when they come and go?

Again, I'll ask it straightforward.

Why are we allowing people to stay here when we have citizens who can't find work?

Also, why don't we enforce the laws which should penalize employers for hiring illegals....?

All this hurts our economy IMO....

Old 02-11-2010, 04:10 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Their babies born here are US citizens as the law is written and thus are available for all the handout programs. There is nothing for them to go back to in Mexico so this is why they stay.
Oh, yes - I see what you mean. I had not even considered how many stay here b/c they have had children. Good point.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
So let me get this straight. Its ok for someone who is breaking the law and here illegally to decide when they come and go?

Again, I'll ask it straightforward.

Why are we allowing people to stay here when we have citizens who can't find work?

Also, why don't we enforce the laws which should penalize employers for hiring illegals....?

All this hurts our economy IMO....
I don't know what the reasons are but they're hear and it seems to be accepted.

BTW, most of them have EIN cards that allow them to work as subcontractors, just not as employees.. There is a loophole..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte