Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 08:26 PM

138 posts, read 412,884 times

Advertisements

Cast my vote for 131 Main (Blakeney). Always fresh and consistent. Always had amiable service. Love the Ceasar (served on an ice cold plate with cold fork) and cornbread app. My fav entre is the marinated Ribeye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 10:14 PM

10 posts, read 36,132 times
I enjoyed the ahi tuna at Oceanaire--was an odd experience though. We went on a Thursday evening and we were the only people in the entire restaurant.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:47 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,909,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester1970 View Post

My favorite place is Carpe Diem on Elizabeth Avenue.

Honestly its fabulous you cannot go wrong. Try it out and let me know what you think!

Lester
I'm with Lester. Carpe Diem is our favorite restaurant also: no hassle parking as well as great food. It would be perfect for a business client.

However, I also like Blue and Toscana (especially in warm weather when one can sit on the terrace.)

I don't think I'd take kids to Blue - not that everyone wouldn't be friendly. I just don't think kids wouldn't appreciate the quality of the food. Besides, I would worry about them disturbing a couple who was trying to have a romantic dinner. There's nothing worse than going to an elegant restaurant for a special occassion and having disruptive kids sitting nearby.

I am also a fan of the food at Mickey and Mooch; however, the noise level sometimes makes quiet conversation difficult.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:53 PM

256 posts, read 1,145,302 times
Has anyone heard that Encore in Blakeney has been sold? A friend's kid works there and they told me it has been sold but don't know who the new tenant will be? Been there once and it was okay.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:30 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2jacknjess View Post
Has anyone heard that Encore in Blakeney has been sold? A friend's kid works there and they told me it has been sold but don't know who the new tenant will be? Been there once and it was okay.
Good, cause I wasn't impressed at all. The place wasn't worthy to be in this area...much like Currents at Providence and Ballentyne Commons.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:45 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
We had a wonderful meal at 131Main the other evening. We sat outside by the firepit, it was raining and incredibly romantic. Try the seared tuna salad, it's delicious!

Old 12-30-2007, 03:26 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
we used to go there all the time, and new one of the owners, he lived in my development..the 1st few times were good..I liked them better for lunch than I did for dinner..didnt know it was sold since there were 4 managing partners...

Old 01-10-2008, 01:05 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
My pookie told me to pick any place to go for my birthday last week and 131 Main in Cornelius was the place I decided on.

We arrived around 6 p.m walked in and the kitchen area that you can view from the lobby looked nice. We was promptly taken to our seat and this restaurant was busy.
The booth we had was nice and cozy but WOW it was dark in that restaurant it took awhile for my eyes to adjust and it was at night time. I love the louvers on the ceiling and the design use within the restaurant.

The servers all wear black so it was like a ghost randomly appear at your table due to it was so dark but they made sure the place was run top notch.
When one of them would pass your table they assisted in removing anything that was not being used to even stuff like straw wraps.
The place was a little to loud with all the chatter from the customers and they did have music playing but I guess due to brick walls the chatter out weigh the music.

When I was looking at the menu the only complaint I have is the lack of entree options the menu seem to be more focus on on appetizers, soups and salads. I wouldnt mind checking those out for lunch though. And I am curious what the 7 dollar hot dog looks like for place as nice as this.

My partner had a salad and I ate the soup of the day which was Texas Chili both was really good.

My pookie ordered the Ribe eye and wow it was a beautiful steak. Perfect shade of pink and marbled fat surrounding it (ani if you are reading this I know what you described as perfect steak should like now).

I had the low country pan fried flounder and this is first time I did not need to use the provided tarter sauce. The flounder and breading was perfect.
We both did not care for their mash potatoes though.

I enjoyed watching the staff that was very easy on the eyes do their job. They was very polite and couteous. I like how if someone is getting up in the aisle they will stand behind them and wait for them to go whereever they are heading. I also impress in their quickness to get a table ready for thier next customers.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:29 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,033,951 times
Default love 131 Main

I have been to lunch a few times but I think I have been there at least 10 times now for dinner. The Blakeney location....so far the best restaurant we have tried. Everything is super fresh and nothing is greasy or over ridden with butter and fats.

My DH and I went to Sullivan's last week and it was awful. The staff were so young and just idiots and the meat was not tender. I have tried about 8 Sullivan's in different cities and this one was like eating at a regular steak and potatoe joint.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:37 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
I have been to lunch a few times but I think I have been there at least 10 times now for dinner. The Blakeney location....so far the best restaurant we have tried. Everything is super fresh and nothing is greasy or over ridden with butter and fats.

My DH and I went to Sullivan's last week and it was awful. The staff were so young and just idiots and the meat was not tender. I have tried about 8 Sullivan's in different cities and this one was like eating at a regular steak and potatoe joint.
Hiya MJ I've always loved my meals at 131 Main too - especially when I've been in good company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte