Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:42 PM

34 posts, read 67,763 times

Advertisements

Hi,

For the people that know, what are the real differences between; Dilworth, Cherry, Meyers Park, Elizabeth, and Chantilly.

If you live in one of those neighborhoods would you move to an adjacent one and why?

Thanks,

-Chris-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 01:52 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times
Elizabeth and Chantilly are similar. Kind of artsy. Lots of older bungalows that have been restored. Some nice funky restaurants and shops. The others are all pretty different from one another. Myers Park is the most exclusive of all of them. Dilworth is pretty upscale and very expensive (and beautiful), but not as "old money" as Myers Park. Cherry is a cute little neighborhood but I think it's a little dicey. Not sure what you second question means.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:57 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
  • Myers Park - Neighborhood of once stately exclusive homes built for old money of Charlotte in the 1920s. Keep in mind there are several surrounding neighborhoods of more contemporary homes that people will say that are Myers Park but are not. During the last 10 years while the building boom was going on there were lots of tear downs of homes. They were replaced by out of proportion mini-mansions. Some are quite gaudy. With that said, this is the prototypical old south type neighborhood that one would find in an issue of Southern Living.
  • Dilworth - first suburban neighborhood in Charlotte. Was originally served by streetcars. Homes range from Victorian to 60s - 70s ranches, plus modern infill development. It's been deemed historic hence controlled by ARC that approves changes to buildings and this prevented tear down activity. Highly gentrified since the 80s. Where people go who can't afford Myers Park.
  • Cherry - This is a Black neighborhood of people of much more modest means than the other neighborhoods listed. Originally it was built as the place where the servants lived that worked in Myers Park. Almost impossible to purchase a place in there due to deed issues.
  • Elizabeth - Dilworth part II. Not as cohesive however and suffers from being right up on I-277, Independence Blvd, and is bisected by one of the commuting streets. Where people went who missed out on Dilworth.
  • Chantilly - Where people went who missed out on Dilworth and Elizabeth. It's at the junction of where gentrification exists and where it doesn't.
I moved to the lake years ago because I like the lifestyle better, but if I were to move back I guess I could tolerate Myers Park. I liked Dilworth better 25 years ago than what it has become today so I don't think I would want to move back there. Cherry is out of the question. Elizabeth and Chantilly have never held my interest at all. If I had to come back to the downtown area, I would probably go for a condo in one of the better highrises.

Last edited by lumbollo; 02-11-2010 at 02:15 PM..

Old 02-11-2010, 03:21 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
  • Cherry - This is a Black neighborhood of people of much more modest means than the other neighborhoods listed. Originally it was built as the place where the servants lived that worked in Myers Park. Almost impossible to purchase a place in there due to deed issues.

Cherry is historically a black neighborhood, but with the recent development nearby, has become quite diverse. I have several friends who bought & manage rental homes in the neighborhood, and they had no problems buying there. Some blocks have had more crime than others, but there are areas that are well-maintained, community-oriented, neighborly, and nice, with a strong Neighborhood Watch. I think it's a great opportunity for investment if you have a desire to maintain the history of the area, and not push out current residents who've been there for years and years. Awesome location, close to Myers Park & Dilworth & VERY convenient to downtown. Walking distance to Trader Joe's!

Old 02-11-2010, 04:32 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
  • Myers Park - Neighborhood of once stately exclusive homes built for old money of Charlotte in the 1920s. Keep in mind there are several surrounding neighborhoods of more contemporary homes that people will say that are Myers Park but are not. During the last 10 years while the building boom was going on there were lots of tear downs of homes. They were replaced by out of proportion mini-mansions. Some are quite gaudy. With that said, this is the prototypical old south type neighborhood that one would find in an issue of Southern Living.
  • Dilworth - first suburban neighborhood in Charlotte. Was originally served by streetcars. Homes range from Victorian to 60s - 70s ranches, plus modern infill development. It's been deemed historic hence controlled by ARC that approves changes to buildings and this prevented tear down activity. Highly gentrified since the 80s. Where people go who can't afford Myers Park.
  • Elizabeth - Dilworth part II. Not as cohesive however and suffers from being right up on I-277, Independence Blvd, and is bisected by one of the commuting streets. Where people went who missed out on Dilworth.
  • Chantilly - Where people went who missed out on Dilworth and Elizabeth. It's at the junction of where gentrification exists and where it doesn't.
I moved to the lake years ago because I like the lifestyle better, but if I were to move back I guess I could tolerate Myers Park. I liked Dilworth better 25 years ago than what it has become today so I don't think I would want to move back there. Cherry is out of the question. Elizabeth and Chantilly have never held my interest at all. If I had to come back to the downtown area, I would probably go for a condo in one of the better highrises.

this, in my opinion, is quite possibly the worst assessment of these neighborhoods I have ever heard. Wouldn't expect much different considering the source.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
this, in my opinion,....
The OP asked for an opinion of the neighborhoods, not for an opinion of me.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:54 PM

530 posts, read 1,181,867 times
Quote:
this, in my opinion, is quite possibly the worst assessment of these neighborhoods I have ever heard. Wouldn't expect much different considering the source.

Can you give one better? I thought it was a rather good one. Still a few holes to fill but a good start. More than everyone else has provided (present company included)

Old 02-11-2010, 08:26 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPSF View Post
Hi,

For the people that know, what are the real differences between; Dilworth, Cherry, Meyers Park, Elizabeth, and Chantilly.

If you live in one of those neighborhoods would you move to an adjacent one and why?

Thanks,

-Chris-
Meyers Park is the Mac-daddy - Dilworth is yuppieville and trendy, Elizabeth is my personal favorite for the craftsman style homes and location, Chantilly is an Elizabeth wanna-bee making some progress toward getting there and Cherry is a black neighborhood becoming less and less middle class which developers are salivating over and waiting for the old-timers there to die off. You forgot Eastover

Old 02-11-2010, 08:27 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Actually, he's not far off in his assessment, with the exception of Cherry being a neigborhood for those working in wealthy Myers Park homes - that's not exactly true, though it's been repeated enough that some people have come to think it is the whole story.

It was actually a very middle class black neighborhood for most of it's existence, where Charlotte's merchant class anda smattering of educated blacks lived. Though it started out with more humble roots of being a place to help poor blacks find affordable living in the 1890's.

What in particular do you disagree with?

Last edited by lovesMountains; 02-11-2010 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: spellig!

Old 02-11-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
...., with the exception of Cherry being a neigborhood only for those working in wealthy Myers Park homes. ....
I didn't mean to say it was that way now. This is the history of why there is a neighborhood of such modest homes just one street over from of the most expensive homes in the the city. I have heard, and I do agree it is heresay since I've never bother to actually find out, that back in the 1920s and 1930s, this is where the maids and caretakers for the Myers Park homes lived. A lot of the people who live there now inherited the places from this history. The reason I have heard that it has not been gentrified given its proximity to such an expensive place and to downtown is because it is extremely hard to get clear title to a place there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte