Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 11:39 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Chik-Fil-A is a great example of how the owner's ethical and religious beliefs have been translated into fair policies throughout the organization - for employees as well as the public they serve.

That doesn't mean that this can't occur in any particular organization - whether the owner (or board) shares the same religious beliefs (or no religious beliefs, for that matter). But it is a good example of how corporate culture starts at the top. Decisions are made based on what the owner feels is "right" rather than decisions made based on profits alone. The "bottom line" for most of us refers to profit. There is no reason that the bottom line can't be based on what is right, as studies show - doing what is "right" leads to confidence w/ the public . . . and in a well run organiztion w/ a good reputation w/ both employees and the community, that can lead to profit.

And even tho the owner of Chik-Fil-A does not "advertise" his personal religious beliefs, folks who work for the organization realize that the owner's beliefs have created a culture where they feel respected . . . and the public knows Chik-Fil-A isn't open on Sundays . . . something folks do question - and then discover it is b/c of the owner's religious beliefs.

I know folks who choose to patronize Chik-Fil-A over other restaurants solely b/c they appreciate the way employees are treated.

Marketing ploy? I don't think so.
And don't they make the best sweet ice tea?

I like a man who will stand up for his beliefs, even closing his company on Sunday and losing some profits, to keep the Sabbath holy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
+1

How refreshing and encouraging that a business owner doesn't just want your money, but feels the need to share the Good News.
If you don't like his message, then you are free to not use his services, it is not that complicated.

And this is far from a Christian thing.
The Charlotte Jewish community is very tight knit where people who worship at the Temple together do business together.
Same for the Charlotte Greek community.
Nothing wrong with this, IMHO.

Not sure this is warranted.
I respect and acknowledge your different faith or complete lack thereof.
And it is the 'Christians' that are close-minded? Hmm.

Thank you for saying this Mullman.

When I started this thread I referred to faith IN GOD, not just faith in Jesus, to include our Jewish friends and neighbors. Many of them here are also not afraid to live their faith out in the open. For example, the orthodox Jews don't drive on the Sabbath so I see many of them walking to Sabbath services on Saturday's down Sardis Rd

Old 02-14-2010, 11:45 AM

47 posts, read 102,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlagueasForm-
So, let me ask you guys this, if a Jewish rabbi was on a construction site, would he wear his yamaka under or on top of his hard hat?

I think he would - I see them around town in other professions
I meant which - under or on top?

Old 02-14-2010, 11:45 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
And don't they make the best sweet ice tea?

I like a man who will stand up for his beliefs, even closing his company on Sunday and losing some profits, to keep the Sabbath holy.
Well, you know how I feel about it . . . hubby studied for the priesthood, lol.

I think it is easy to get character, integrity and moral compass mixed up with outward "shows" of religiosity and that is why some folks are turned off by people who are overt with displaying their religious beliefs.

We have all seen "wolves in sheep's clothing" - wh/ is what Wsobchak was saying . . .

The way I see it is . . . some folks may use a public display of religion as a way to "hide" their own dark side (psychopaths are masters at this) . . . but that isn't going to make me automatically assume that someone is playing games w/ the public if they DO choose to profess their religious beliefs in a public fashion.

Last edited by brokensky; 02-14-2010 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-14-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I don't think it's a debate all all. I have found all of the responses to be well thought out and civil. Surely Loves knew that her thread was going to spark some lively conversation.
I did indeed Though I hoped it wouldn't get too far off track!

My original point has less to do with the particular businesses discussed in the article and more to do with this - I am happy and proud to live in a place (the south) where people feel comfortable showing their faith openly to the world.

That's all - no big agenda, not trying to convert anyone, not trying to upset anyone - just saying I'm proud that this is common in our way of life down south

Old 02-14-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -PlagueasForm- View Post
I meant which - under or on top?
I believe the yarmakule must be worn nearest to the body, and I doubt it would fit ON TOP of the hardhat

Old 02-14-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
Speaking of doing gods work..

This week my church has taken advantage of the Valentines day theme and will be coming together to help the community. If anyone is interested in some community service projects or just giving an hour or 2, please feel free to sign up, join the cause, and help out in the community.

Elevation Church Love Week - February 13-21

Love Week is going to be an incredible week in the life of Elevation Church. There is no better way to celebrate 4 amazing years than to reach out to our city like no one else. Our audacious goal is for Elevation volunteers to serve at least 1 hour for a total of 5,000 hours in our community during the week of February 13-21.

Elevation Church - Love Week
We have so many wonderful churches in Charlotte doing what they can to reach out to others with love - but then, this is "the city of churches" (one of our unofficial nicknames).

Thanks for posting!

Old 02-14-2010, 12:11 PM

412 posts, read 939,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If you are referring to Chik-Fil-A, I believe the only thing about the organization that suggests the owner adheres to a religious belief is that he refuses to open his business on Sundays, something that a lot of employees desire - and so apply for work there.

I don't see how that would make someone "uncomfortable" - knowing they have a defnite day off every week. If it did, then they would simply apply for work elsewhere.
I went to a Chick Fil A once in South Carolina, and they were playing Christian music inside the restaurant. It was a little surprising at first, because it's pretty uncommon, but I didn't think it was big deal.

About the article on the Christian businesses - at first I thought that it was kind of weird to have a "optional" prayer breakfast. How optional is it? If you don't participate, are you less likely to get a promotion or raise?

However, similar things happen in all businesses, regardless of religious influences. Everyone knows it's "who you know" that provides opportunities to get ahead. Every company has its thing - golf, socializing after work, sports leagues, prayer breakfasts, etc. People who participate in those things with influential managers will typically have better opportunities. If you don't play golf, don't want to go out to the bar after work, or don't participate in the sports league, you just might be at a disadvantage.

So, my opinion is that, unless they're trying to convert the employees, it's no big deal. I personally wouldn't go out of my way to hire or not hire a company that advertises itself as Christian. I'm more interested in the quality of the work that they do.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:15 PM

154 posts, read 328,570 times
not surprised you go to that church.. i remember a post not long ago about elevation and how they try to change people. I see bumper stickers all over town with there logo on it.. how weird what a business they are running if i ever saw one. It certainly made me interested when I first came I looked them right up. The city of churches..never heard that one. I am not sure why it would have that nickname either. No one a believer or non believer is interested in anyone pushing religion or any radical views in their face.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:26 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skchi View Post
I went to a Chick Fil A once in South Carolina, and they were playing Christian music inside the restaurant. It was a little surprising at first, because it's pretty uncommon, but I didn't think it was big deal.

About the article on the Christian businesses - at first I thought that it was kind of weird to have a "optional" prayer breakfast. How optional is it? If you don't participate, are you less likely to get a promotion or raise?

However, similar things happen in all businesses, regardless of religious influences. Everyone knows it's "who you know" that provides opportunities to get ahead. Every company has its thing - golf, socializing after work, sports leagues, prayer breakfasts, etc. People who participate in those things with influential managers will typically have better opportunities. If you don't play golf, don't want to go out to the bar after work, or don't participate in the sports league, you just might be at a disadvantage.

So, my opinion is that, unless they're trying to convert the employees, it's no big deal. I personally wouldn't go out of my way to hire or not hire a company that advertises itself as Christian. I'm more interested in the quality of the work that they do.
I agree with you - the performance is the thing that is gonna get my attention.

Ane I also agree about corporate culture - every business has a corporate culture - and it is only rarely based on religion.

I had a client once who was into golf - and sponsoring golf tourneys - and doing business on a golf course. If his employees didn't play golf they were pretty much non-entities in the company.

Good thing I played golf cause the only way I could schedule a meeting was to invite him to play w/ me at my club. He liked the course and so . . . that is how I managed to land the account - and keep it, lol. Crazy stuff.

Never had a client who insisted I participated in his/her religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte